Import Songs to Library

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

wdp

Import Songs to Library

Post by wdp »

I have downloaded an album and wish to add it my library. Currently it is in a folder labeled "Music Holding". That folder is outside of my library structure. Is there a way I can import it so that the files are copied into the library using the same file structure as my other music files. Or do I just add the file using the file structure by copying it into the physical library location and then go...

File>Add/Rescan Folder

Or do I move the "Music Holding" file into the Library and point there to add the album. Then use auto organize to move the album using the same structure. My structure is Album Artist>Album>Filename where filename always starts with the track number.

What is the best way to proceed? I am use to the iTunes way of importing albums.

Thanks,
wdp
dtsig

Re: Import Songs to Library

Post by dtsig »

I always create the folder/files structure I use then copy the folder/files into the library.
So in your case I would create the Artist/Album folder and put the files in. Then copy that to the library.

If you turn on File Monitoring to Continuous and point to your primary folder then MM will know the files automatically
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd scan the Music Holding folder and use Auto-Organize Files to move the files. The scan would be much faster as you just need to scan Music Holding which would have few files. Then you could edit the tags of the files so that with Auto-Organize Files they're organized correctly.

Many users use a new files/staging folder for new files, and then after edits add those files to the main Library folder.
wdp

Post by wdp »

So the Holding (Staging) Folder is not where my library exist. My Library is on an external drive at Drive I/MediaMonkey/Music. The Holding Folder is at I/Holding.

I am going to move the Holding Folder so it is in the same Folder as the rest of the library. Then start MM. Then File>Add/Rescan File to Library but select only the holding folder. Then tag the new songs appropriately by editing. Then select Auto-Organize files. Is that correct?

Going forward only the Holding Folder will be checked and will be empty after auto-organize is completed.

Thanks,
WDP
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That will work, however you don't need to move the holding folder, it is up-to-you where you want it.

Also leave some other file (like a PDF) in the holding folder so that it doesn't become empty when moving files out of it to the main folder. This way it doesn't get deleted.
wdp

Post by wdp »

I will put a txt file in the Holding folder. Thanks for the tip. Do I need to recheck the Music Folder before I select Auto-Organize. Right now only the Holding Folder is checked under the Add/Rescan command.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

wdp wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:47 pmDo I need to recheck the Music Folder before I select Auto-Organize. Right now only the Holding Folder is checked under the Add/Rescan command.
Those are separate things:
1) Tools > Auto-Organize Files works manually on selected files and would be recommended in this case so that you can edit the files before adding them to the main folder
2) Tools > Options > Auto-Organize does this automatically and would move the files as soon as they were scanned into the Library.
3) Add/Rescan Files is just to scan in new files (holding folder). No need to scan existing files (main folder) unless there were changes made outside of MediaMonkey to the files in the main folder.
wdp

Post by wdp »

Thanks to dtsig and Lowlander. I appreciate the help.