time issue

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

time issue

Post by Guest »

ok, so i have this mp3. media monkey lists it as being 2:45 in length. when i play it, winamp lists it as being 7:01 in length in the playlist, but just over 5 minutes (it seems to change) in the scrolling info window.

the track, when played, is 5:04.

i'm guessing the problem is with the mp3? has anyone else experienced this? is there a way to fix the mp3 without re-ripping?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i had some in winamp like that and i find one everynow and then but i dont really notice it much anymore. must be something to do with the mp3 file its self. as i fixed mine by converting to wav putting it in a wav editor and adding on one or two secondes of silent space at the end then the editor fixed the time when it was saved. then when i reconverted it back to the mp3 or ogg file the time was right again.
8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
zyb

Post by zyb »

I think this sometimes happens when encoding mp3s with variable bit rates (VBR) and playing them with a different player than the one with which it was encoded (although it is very strange since the codecs are the same in most cases). In my experience, mp3s encoded VBR via EAC and played with MediaMonkey or MusicMatch Jukebox result in what you describe.

Cheers, zyb
jiri

Post by jiri »

All mp3 VBR files should start with so called Xing header, which is a special frame that contains some information necessary for a fast understanding of the file structure. There were some attempts to use other ways of VBR identification, but nowadays it's quite generally understood that VBR files without Xing header are invalid (although it was originally a proprietary solution of Xing encoder).

Jiri