Scrobble iPod Plays to Last.fm

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Gavin

Scrobble iPod Plays to Last.fm

Post by Gavin »

Hi everyone.

I've used MM 2.5 for a long time, and then bought an iPod and changed to iTunes. I'd really like to come back, so I was wondering if I can scrobble my iPod plays with Last.fm? I've already got it setup like that with iTunes + the official Last.fm client.

I understand that you can scobble tracks played in MM with Last.fm, but can you scrobble iPod plays after syncing?

Also, when you sync an iPod in MM, will it update the last played/play count information in the media library?

Thanks!
drjboulder

Post by drjboulder »

LastPod, make sure that you run it before you synch with the monkey.
D Rock
MediaMonkeyGoldv3.0.3.1183
Vista Home Basic|4thGen 20GPod
Zune Small Player Skin w/ Aqua 4 Player Mod
Backup | Last FM Node | Scrobbler DJ | TopTracks | StayInSameStyleDJ
RadioDJ | RadioFreeMonkey | PrettyPictures | MiniLyricsEmbedder
LyricsViewer | Lyricator | LyricsPlugin | VisualizationEmbedder | MonkeyRok
RightClickForWeb | WebSearchPanels | WebNodes | MagicNodes | FavoritesNodes
NowPlayingArtNode |AutoRateAccurate | TaggingInconsistencies
AdvancedDuplicateFind&Fix | CaseModify | PlayHistory&Stats | Etc...
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Thanks for reply. I noticed that on the LastPod webpage, under "Things to be aware of" it says:

Do not listen to any tracks using your audio player until you have synced your iPod. If you do, your iPod played tracks will not go through due to the AudioScrobbler spam protection. The spam protection disallows any tracks to be submitted that have a timestamp before the most recently played track.

But this doesn't seem to be the case when I use the official Last.fm client to scobble with iTunes. The Last.fm client still scrobbles iPod plays from the "past", doesn't it? (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Perhaps instead I could use iTunes to sync my iPod and scrobble, and use MM to actually play music. Is there a way to keep the last played and play count information synced between iTunes and MM?
drjboulder

Post by drjboulder »

Gavin wrote:Thanks for reply. I noticed that on the LastPod webpage, under "Things to be aware of" it says:

Do not listen to any tracks using your audio player until you have synced your iPod. If you do, your iPod played tracks will not go through due to the AudioScrobbler spam protection. The spam protection disallows any tracks to be submitted that have a timestamp before the most recently played track.

But this doesn't seem to be the case when I use the official Last.fm client to scobble with iTunes. The Last.fm client still scrobbles iPod plays from the "past", doesn't it? (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Perhaps instead I could use iTunes to sync my iPod and scrobble, and use MM to actually play music. Is there a way to keep the last played and play count information synced between iTunes and MM?
Can not speak to Itunes questions 8) ...

But, yes if I scrobble from the monkey before uploading my pod via LastPod, LastFM views songs up loaded after latest scrobble as "spam".
D Rock
MediaMonkeyGoldv3.0.3.1183
Vista Home Basic|4thGen 20GPod
Zune Small Player Skin w/ Aqua 4 Player Mod
Backup | Last FM Node | Scrobbler DJ | TopTracks | StayInSameStyleDJ
RadioDJ | RadioFreeMonkey | PrettyPictures | MiniLyricsEmbedder
LyricsViewer | Lyricator | LyricsPlugin | VisualizationEmbedder | MonkeyRok
RightClickForWeb | WebSearchPanels | WebNodes | MagicNodes | FavoritesNodes
NowPlayingArtNode |AutoRateAccurate | TaggingInconsistencies
AdvancedDuplicateFind&Fix | CaseModify | PlayHistory&Stats | Etc...
dinkydave

Post by dinkydave »

Hi, I am getting a bit stuck with how you set-up lastpod so that tracks from my ipod can be scrobbed to last.fm? Below is a list of instructions on the lastpod website for setting up the program:-

1. Download the latest version of LastPod (the link is at the bottom of the page). Fine with this
2. Extract to directory of your choosing.Fine with this
3. Listen to music on your iPod. Note: A track will only be counted as played when listened to completely from start to finish.No problem
4. Connect the iPod to your computer.done
5. Run either the lastPod.sh (unix) or lastPod.bat (windows).I ran lastPod.bat
6. Set your preferences if this is the first time running LastPod.
* Note: The iTunesDB location is the iTunesDB on your iPod, DRIVE:\iPod_Control\iTunesDB\iTunesDB This is where I get confused, I am trying to use MM and not itunes, so what do I do here??
7. Review the tracks you've listened to and then click "Submit Tracks".Never got this far
8. Close out of LastPod.
9. Sync your iPod using whatever software you usually use, this will remove the "Play Counts" file and update your iTunesDB with the current play counts.

Can anyone help with what I am meant to do to get this lastpod program to work with MM(3),
Thanks,
Dave C
dinkydave

Post by dinkydave »

Sorry, please ignore my last post, I'm an idiot & have worked out what I was doing wrong :oops: ,
Cheers,
Dave C
Hooray, it's all working :D
MyCsPiTTa

Re: Scrobble iPod Plays to Last.fm

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

What did you do dinkydave? What I want to know is:

I know you aren't meant to listen to any songs in MM before submitting from LastPod, but what about just having MM open? I say this beacause I get an error whenever I try to use LatPod with MM already open - even if I haven't actually listened to any songs since I last used LastPod.

My iPod autosyncs with MM as soon as it's connected (if MM is open), but surely it doesn't scrobble anything to LastFm until I actually play something... does it?

The error is:

And nothing shows in my LastPod list.

I use the official LastFm client.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

If you connect the iPod to MM before you open lastpod MM will have already read the playcounts from the iPod, updated those playcounts to the MM library, and then reset the iPod playcounts to zero. That's why you have to run lastpod before syncing with MM.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

Oh I see, so it's updating the ipod file. Sweet - took it off autosync, now it's fine.
markontour
Location: Houston, Texas, USA, N America, W Hesmisphere, Earth, Milky Way

Post by markontour »

I must be slow, because I can't figure this out.
6. Set your preferences if this is the first time running LastPod. How do I set my preferences? When I click on the bat file it opens a dos window and closes it immediately. What is it supposed to do? And what am I supposed to do?
We're all Fool's for something; I'm a Fool for music, what are you a Fool for?

Machines:
1)OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64-based | Phys Mem: 8.00 GB | Processor: AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core, 2200 Mhz
markontour
Location: Houston, Texas, USA, N America, W Hesmisphere, Earth, Milky Way

Post by markontour »

Nevermind, I figured it out (but for those of you still stumped, you run the BAT file and then after that you run the JAR file.
We're all Fool's for something; I'm a Fool for music, what are you a Fool for?

Machines:
1)OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64-based | Phys Mem: 8.00 GB | Processor: AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core, 2200 Mhz
A_Disciple

Post by A_Disciple »

nohitter151 wrote:If you connect the iPod to MM before you open lastpod MM will have already read the playcounts from the iPod, updated those playcounts to the MM library, and then reset the iPod playcounts to zero. That's why you have to run lastpod before syncing with MM.
Will MM playcounts then not be updated if you run lastpod first?
1. MM4 Gold 4.1.7.1739
2. Windows 7 64-bit
3. 8GB RAM, Intel X9650
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

A_Disciple wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:If you connect the iPod to MM before you open lastpod MM will have already read the playcounts from the iPod, updated those playcounts to the MM library, and then reset the iPod playcounts to zero. That's why you have to run lastpod before syncing with MM.
Will MM playcounts then not be updated if you run lastpod first?
No, MM playcounts should still be updated.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.