How to set a Columns setting per Collection

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Pietercape

How to set a Columns setting per Collection

Post by Pietercape »

My collection of 25k tracks consists largely (82%)of Classical music. I have over many months tried every option to try and achieve something that seems quite simple. I would like to set a default setting per collection that will apply to every sub-node in that collection.
I see in the Forum that this has been a request since 2021 and there is a ticket still open dating back to February 2021, clearly not a priority.
I accept that I am probably not representative of the larger MM community, but this is surely not so difficult to achieve.
After 20+ years of MM I am just about to walk away as the irritation of spending listening time to change columns just is not worth it.
Lifetime Gold - User for 18 years
Library 23k tracks
Rob_S

Re: How to set a Columns setting per Collection

Post by Rob_S »

I would like to add my strong support for such a feature.

It could be achieved by a simple "Apply to all" button in the layout customize window. For this function to work, the sort order could be left per node, ie albums node would remain sorted by album, artist node would be sorted by artist, etc.

I would also like to add again mention IF a sort order is specified in a custom layout, it would be hard fixed and permanent , so that whenever and wherever I load my custom view, I could get the original as designed layout and sort order.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Let me give an example. A sub-node in the Collection "Classical Music" is "Composers". I select "Composers" and I set as columns the 8 columns (The 8 that I want to use for all Classical Music). From "Composers" I select say "Beethoven". The display once again is the MM default. I again select "List" and again change the columns. In "Beethoven" I select an album. There is the MM default columns again.

Having set Columns 3 times to listen to 1 Album gives me the satisfaction that when (and hopefully) in 12 months time I want to listen to that Album again I will get the column settings I set originally. I must be missing something here.

Come on MM, you cannot seriously be happy with that, even if I am a minority user.
Library 23k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

I stumbled on a thread dating back to 2022 where Ludeck posted a fix for this issue, at least in the playlist view. It is a mmip file and can be downloaded but I do not know how/where to install it.

This is the Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/drw57fd27zc4y ... .mmip?dl=0

This is the thread:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 24#p478724

Any advice?
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Double click on the mmip file should install it.
apisjae

Post by apisjae »

I understand your frustration with MediaMonkey's default settings for collections, especially with a large classical music library. It's disappointing that this issue persists since 2021. I hope the developers prioritize and resolve this, preventing you from leaving after 20+ years.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

I do not know from where I should try to open this file. Tried in just about all folders within MM Portable folder that make sense even tried the Skins folder (from where I open mmip skins and it works) but all I get is Windows wanting to go to the store to look for an App to open the file.
Please humor me and give me the detailed instructions.
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you try the other option mentioned in the provided link:
you can install by using Add under Tools > Addons from the Main Menu. Select the .mmip file for the Addon to install.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

What I said is not correct, so I deleted it
Last edited by Rob_S on Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Thank You Lowlander, the file was installed.
And a BIG Thank You to Ludeck! It works across the collections using the List view.

I will try it across the other collections and playlists and give feedback
Library 23k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

I can confirm that it is thus far working across the new Collections I added. After setting up the Collection I open it up, select the List View and set up the Columns. All the sub-nodes then display the columns selected for that Collection.

This makes such a big difference - Well Done Ludeck!

I hope this works for everybody.
Library 23k tracks