Migrate from MMW4 Gold Win10 PC to MMW5 Gold Win 11 PC

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

bazza23

Migrate from MMW4 Gold Win10 PC to MMW5 Gold Win 11 PC

Post by bazza23 »

I am about to Migrate from MMW4 Gold on a windows 10 PC with files in default locations to MMW5 on a Windows 11 PC.
The only thing I have done so far is install MMW5 and register it as Gold.
I have not moved the music files yet.
I have done a search in this forum and read the wiki, understand the default locations,
read this:

"- If MediaMonkey 5 did not use your MediaMonkey 4 database, close MediaMonkey and then copy the MediaMonkey 4 database file (MM.db) to the MediaMonkey 5 [database location](https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/) and rename the existing MediaMonkey 5 database from MM5.db to MM5.db.bak. When starting MediaMonkey 5 it will update the MediaMonkey 4 database to a MediaMonkey 5 database."
and this:

"To change the location of the MediaMonkey database:

1. Close MediaMonkey (so that it doesn’t overwrite any of the changes)
2. Back up the MediaMonkey.ini file
3. Move the MediaMonkey database file from default location[](http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... le/View/16) to the new location where you’d like to store it
4. Add the following line to the **[System]** section of the MediaMonkey.ini file: DBName=full pathfilename.DB (for example **DBName=C:\Databases\music.db**)
5. Start MediaMonkey."
but they don't seem to quite match what I have to do.

I'd appreciate some assistance in what I have to do
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Migrate from MMW4 Gold Win10 PC to MMW5 Gold Win 11 PC

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi,

It sounds like you have both the Windows 10 (MMW4) and Windows 11 (MMW5) PCs available. Perhaps they are on the same network?

In this case, you might want to take a slightly different approach!

I would spend a bit of time getting to know MMW5 doing things like:
01). How to backup / restore the MMW5.DB using the menu options. Set a backup schedule.
02). Ripping a CD or two; copy of couple of albums to the MMW5 locations
03). Create a new Playlist and then an "Auto-Playlist" and then export the Playlists to M3U files
04). Create a Collection
05). Organise files from Windows 10 to Windows 11 using the copy to new destination option over the network.
06). Set your Auto-Organise directory / file formats
07). Install MMW5 add-ons and skins
08). Set the "views" / "columns" or a few nodes

Once you have done this, you may find a few things not to your liking or that can be improved during the migration. You can then work these things before making the switch from 4 to 5.

For example, you may find you miss a few MMW4 add-ons; you may have invested in a lot of MMW4 Playlists; you may want to keep your MMW4 play-counts. In this case, allowing MMW5 to adopt the MMW4 database is probably a better approach!

My point is that - if you have the two PCs - you can take your time.
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Start here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer

Putting the mm.db from MediaMonkey 4 in the MediaMonkey 5 database location, and renaming/deleting mm5.db already there, should have it updated to a MediaMonkey 5 database.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

This kind of question keeps coming up over and over, so clearly it is a weakness in the program.

In my opinion, there are basically two ways to migrate. Which way is best for you depends on whenther you have info in your database that is or is not stored in the tags. The items in question are basically play history and auto-playlists.

Method A:

If these are unimportant to you, you can simply copy over your entire music folders, and add/re-scan on on the new PC. You can export and re-import your fixed (manual) playlists.

Before you do this, just make sure all your tags are updated on the old PC to match the database. Tags can include ratings, artwork, album definitions and all the other metadata about you music, so you would not lose any of this.

You can in fact install both MM4 and MM5 on the new PC, and use the old until you become familiar with the new. If you have both set to scan on startup, any changes you make in the one will appear in the other (except playlist chnages)

Method B:

On the other hand, if you want your full database with the play history and auto-playlists included, you must follow the rather complex and often questioned procedure outlined in the help documents which basically includes all of the following.

1) Copy over your files
2) Install the program MM5, but do NOT scan anything.
3) Close program, Locate and transfer your database to the new appdata folder, usually located in the following folder:
C:\Users\..username..\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5
4) Open MM5, it should now display all your tracks greyed out, even though they might be in the same exact path.
5) If they are in the same path, you can use the procedure to re-assign the drive
6) If the files are not in the exact same path, ie different drive letter or folder name, then you have to try and use "locate moved/missing files"

If you do not follow the procedure exactly, you will join a large number of frustrated users who have posted here before. :(

More experienced users (and/or mods of course) are welcome to comment on this simplified explanation, in hopes of making it into something useful.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
bazza23

Post by bazza23 »

Thank you Ian, Rob and Lowlander
Your comprehensive and thoughtful responses give me several options, some of which I would not have thought of.
As you suggest I'll take my time.
I really appreciate such an active and responsive forum.