[REQ] A way to remap songs across playlists?

Get help for different MediaMonkey 5 Addons.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

hackbod

[REQ] A way to remap songs across playlists?

Post by hackbod »

Something I'd really like to do but haven't found how: automatically go through my playlists remapping songs in them to other songs.

For example, if I get a new remastered version of an album, I have a bunch of playlist that have songs from the previous release of the album. I'd like a way to just say "song A from old edition should be changed to song A from remastered edition" across all my playlists for all the songs that now have a remastered version.
Rob_S

Re: A way to remap songs across playlists?

Post by Rob_S »

I'm pretty sure there are no built-in methods for this. Do you want to keep both the old and the new in your main database?

If not, then if you simply replace the old tracks with the new ones using identical filenames, then the playlist will automatically use those.

If you want to keep both, you could rename or relocate the original tracks with MM closed, and copy in identically named new ones.

After rescan, you would have both, but the playlist would find the new ones.

If you have added the new album already in a new folder with different filenames names, it becomes a bit more difficult.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, this would be a task left for an Addon (none exists for MMW5). In MMW4 the Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix could replace files on Playlists. This was more for an updated copy of the file (ie. replace an MP3 with a FLAC copy).
hackbod

Post by hackbod »

Rob_S wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:51 pm I'm pretty sure there are no built-in methods for this. Do you want to keep both the old and the new in your main database?
Yeah I want to keep all my music as-is, just update the files across my playlists. Probably the big example is I have an increasing number of new releases of remixes of old albums, which I often prefer to the original mixes so would like to update my playlists to use them instead, but don't want to just rid of the original versions.

And yeah I figured if there was anything like this it would be through an addon, but didn't see any that seemed to do this. Ah well. I guess I could try exporting my playlists, do a search and replace on the filenames across those, and then re-important them. :-?
Andre_H

Re: [REQ] A way to remap songs across playlists?

Post by Andre_H »

You can try to solve this using the "Auto-Playlist" feature and its filters. Then some criterion must be included in the filters that you can swap or set between the old and new song.

Example: you create a playlist with "all 5 star songs from the 80s, without tracks containing the comment 'replaced' ". You have an album X (or some tracks) that fits these filters and you get a remastered version of that album/tracks. You now put that filter comment of the "old" tracks, in the new tracks you don't, and the auto-playlist would be updated, your collection contains both the old and the new album.

However, this does NOT copy/update the play stats of the old tracks to the new ones.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView