Missing Artwork For Single Releases

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Dryst

Missing Artwork For Single Releases

Post by Dryst »

For all singles, artwork exists within FLAC tags. However, MMW5 fails to display it. I can get artwork to display for my singles via displaying file properties, clicking artwork tab, left clicking the tag image from the FLAC file to make it appear larger, clicking OK to close the properties window, closing MMW5, and finally re-opening the application. After I re-open the app, I see artwork for the single. Unfortunately, this is only temporary. After new tracks play followed by closing the app then re-opening it again, I lose the artwork for the single. I can get it to display again by following those same steps, but I have to do this each and every time. This is buggy defective behavior. Can this be fixed please? This is version 2024.0.0.3020.

This is not an issue for albums, because albums have Folder.jpg files associated with them. Singles never have this and only have art within the FLAC tags.
Lowlander

Re: Missing Artwork For Single Releases

Post by Lowlander »

Do your singles have Album and Album Artist values, or did you leave them blank?
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Album is blank. There is no album.

Album artist is valued, because I use Album Artist in MMW5 selection list.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If either Album or Album Artists is present then MM will handle those tracks as tracks belonging to unknown Album (case Album is missing) or same album with multiple Album artists. Where both cases are bad in terms of Album Art. Best solution is that both fields be empty as then MM tries to handle them as Singles.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Hi.

If the file has embedded art directly, it should show from the file. I do not understand why a decision was made to not show album art.

This does not make sense.

Here's another example:
I own all of Röyksopp's releases. They have a release from 2019 called Lost Tapes

Every track in this release has different art within the FLAC tag. Each track has a different image. However, MMW5 displays Folder.jpg for every track. There is no option to choose the tag image first. The wrong image displays for every track of this album.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

If Album is empty, handle it as a single.

Ignore Album Artist.

I posted about this issue before. Album is key. Album Artist should be ignored.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Here's an example of a Single containing artwork within the FLAC tag not displaying it in MMW5:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/kr53gsey ... zsplx&dl=0

Take a look at the artist name. This track was created by a collaboration of two artists. It was released by Tokyo Rose. Therefore, I store Tokyo Rose as the Album Artist. If I did not do this, MMW5 would make spaghetti out of my media list:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7d6mokvw ... qzjo8&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/56x85czu ... 8419p&dl=0

Look at the last image above. I want to see all of Tokyo Rose's releases in my collection. I can do this easily using Album Artist. I can also see all Singles instantly under Unknown Album. If I was to make Album Artist blank as you suggest, MMW5 would show complete chaos, and I would not find anything.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
can you please test whether it isn't instance of https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20736 ?
i.e. if you remove/re-add the file into library, does it fix the issue?

Workaround should be also go to Options > Library and

[x] Update file info from tags when rescanning files
--[..] Only for file with changed timestamp or size

i.e. temporarily uncheck the '[..] Only for files..' checkbox

And re-scan the files into your library..
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Removing the single followed by re-adding did resolve the issue.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Version 2024..0.0.2021 continues to have this issue with singles missing album art. The fix is to check properties for the file, copy the play count from details, delete the specific file from the library, re-scan the library to re-add the file, edit file properties and change the play count to what it was before you removed it.

This is a lot of work, but it solves the issue. I am now doing this to all singles and files showing incorrect album art. I will be busy working around this issue.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

And the workaround with following settings does not work?

[x] Update file info from tags when rescanning files
--[..] Only for file with changed timestamp or size
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

It took some searching to find this option, but yes -- this also works. I had already resolved the missing art issue with my posted work-around for all Singles I own.

The question is what version will contain this fix to stop all these work-arounds?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The issue is already fixed as it works for you. It just requires a scan to fix any files affected by this on a previous build.