Recent MM5 Update

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

GiantRay

Recent MM5 Update

Post by GiantRay »

When I installed MM5 after years of faultless use of MM4, MM5 couldn't find my database. With the help on this forum I was able to find the database MM4 used and transfer it so MM5 could use it. When I recently installed the new update for MM5, MM5 started but could not find my Library AGAIN!

Where does my Library database have to be so each time I have to update MM5 it will find my database? It is so annoying to have to refind the database and move it so MM5 can read it.

If I find any more frustrations with MM5 I will return to MM4, at least it worked. Why change something that works?
Lowlander

Re: Recent MM5 Update

Post by Lowlander »

Default location works, but if you have changed the location it should still work when upgrading.

The common problem is that the update gets installed differently, either in a different location or as different type of install (portable vs. regular).

Also see: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... -are-lost/

A search for mm5.db should reveal where the correct database is located (using file size and date modified) and where the currently used database is (using date modified).
GiantRay

Post by GiantRay »

I think in this case it is a different type of install. When I upgraded 4 to 5, I did a regular install. But the update has for somereason made it a Portable version. It had created a new DB in the same location as the original MM5.db.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Portable install is an option you can enable in the installer.
EagleScout

Post by EagleScout »

I have my library on an external drive along with the DB file. When I upgraded to MM5.0.4.2693 it can no longer open that database and there is no DB on the host device. I have MM on 2 devices (laptop and surface) and want to use the same DB. Why can't I just select the location of the database like every other program?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can select a custom location for the database. Check that DBName is still set to the external drive in the ini (and that the drive letter/Path is set correct).
EagleScout

Post by EagleScout »

I ended up removing MM from both devices and starting with a fresh portable install. I followed the instructions in the wiki, but it's not updating the file location and still says it can't open the DB and then it freezes. I need to go into task manager to stop the process.

This is what I added to the ini file
[System]
DBName=F:\MediaMonkey 5\Media Monkey DB\MM5_112323.DB
TempDir=\Temp\
CacheDir=\VirtualCD\
PreviewDir=\Previews\

when I save and exit the editor, it doesn't save correctly
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

EagleScout wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:41 pmwhen I save and exit the editor, it doesn't save correctly
What do you mean by this? Did you edit with MediaMonkey closed?
EagleScout

Post by EagleScout »

I mean when I exit the ini file updated with media monkey not running
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try renaming the database file to mm5.db and also update it so in the ini. Does it still fail to get used?