Naming tracks/artist ends up w/ multiple folders

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Pinecone

Naming tracks/artist ends up w/ multiple folders

Post by Pinecone »

I have many tracks of my husband's songs. They all come in, of course, as Unknown Artist so I am going through them, one at a time, and entering the song title, the artist name and the album name.

The steps I take are:
1. Enter Tracks from Home
2. Click on an unnamed Track so it plays and I can hear which one it is.
3. Click on the backup arrow on my tablet to return to the Track Listing page
4. Long click on the playing Track so the checkmark shows up
5. Click on the three dots, upper right corner
6. Select Properties, then fill in the info
7. Click on OK
8. Repeat for the next unnamed Track.

Ok, after doing this for some time, I want to check on how it's looking, so I:
1. Enter Artist from Home

And CRAP! There are TWO folders with my husband's name where there should be just one. These are not duplicates either, because each folder has different songs.

Also, when I look inside each artist folder, instead of just three albums listed (1. Early Years, 2. Homemade, 3. Later Years) there are multiples of each album -- not duplicates either because each album has different songs. For example, one Early Years 'album' has 7 tracks listed, while another Early Years 'album' has 14 tracks.

And finally, I can't get MonkeyMedia to shut off. Shutting down the app doesn't stop the music, nor does closing my tablet cover. I have to turn down the sound and walk away. By morning, it's done.

This is one nutty program!
Lowlander

Re: Naming tracks/artist ends up w/ multiple folders

Post by Lowlander »

MMA does not move/rename files on the device. When changing Properties you're only editing the MediaMonkey database.

Did you do any Syncing with MMW after editing Properties in MMA? Which Build of MMA are you using?

It seems however that the problem isn't Folders, but entries under Artist. Is it Artist or another Artist related item like Album Artist?
Pinecone

Post by Pinecone »

I am using the free Version 2.0.0.1086

MMA does not move/rename files on the device. When changing Properties you're only editing the MediaMonkey database

That's fine with me, I only need it to show up this way in Media Monkey.

It seems however that the problem isn't Folders, but entries under Artist. Is it Artist or another Artist related item like Album Artist

Not 100% sure what you're saying here, but I am entering data in three fields under Properties: Title, Artist, Album. NOT USING Album Artist.

Every Artist field is listed with my husband's name. That's all. There is no other artist in my music files with his name. So there should only be one folder with his name via the Artist heading that appears across the top of the Home page.

But even if that were correct, when i go INTO the my husband's folder, there should only be 3 Albums listed, but there are multiples (not duplicates) of each Album, with all the songs divvied up, arbitrarily, between the multiples (no duplicates).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you sure there aren't tag differences between the split up files? For example a different type of ' or different spaces?
Pinecone

Post by Pinecone »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:13 pm le a different type of ' or different spaces?
100% positive. I can't tell you how many times I checked that out. No differences. Not even a space.
Pinecone

Post by Pinecone »

Update: I just went in to all the 'albums' and entered my husband's name in the Album Artist field.
Lo and behold there is now only ONE listing under Artist via the Home page. Yay!

However, the albums that show up are still not listing properly. There are 2 Early Years 'albums', one with all the tracks except for one, and one with the 'missing' track. I checked, again, all spelling, spaces, etc. that need to be identical ARE identical.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

And Album Artist is the same too (ie. no value for all files on Album)?
Pinecone

Post by Pinecone »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:22 pm And Album Artist is the same too (ie. no value for all files on Album)?
Not sure what you mean by your i.e.?

The Album Artist is the same on all album listings, and on all track listings. Same spelling, same spacing.

Also, as I continue to index his songs, there are now two Artists listed again with my husband's name. Sigh.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Not sure if this is clear to you: you can also mass edit the properties of a bunch of tracks at once.

For example: select all the tracks for which Artist and Album Artist are supposed to be 'x', top Properties, edit the Artist and Album Artist fields to 'x' and make sure both fields are checked off. Click OK.
-->
All of the tracks will be edited with the updated metadata in the DB.

Note: if you have a Windows PC, it's much easier to edit track metadata in MediaMonkey for Windows, and to sync your collection between your PC and your Android device. This also ensures that you have a backup of your collection and the associated metadata.

-Rusty
Pinecone

Post by Pinecone »

Thanks Rusty! That sounds like a huge help.
And I'm running this on a Samsung Galaxy S6 Lite tablet, so no Microsoft avenues...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey uses Album and Album Artist (Artist is irrelevant for this) to define an Album. So when Albums show split it's either the Album value not being the same or the Album Artist (we're not talking about Artist) value not being the same.

So make sure that you use the same Album Artist value for all the files on the Album when you edit the files.
Pinecone

Post by Pinecone »

Final Update: okay, Rusty's tip was the fix.

I scrubbed Monkey and started all over again.

Loaded my husband's songs.
Group edited all songs for Artist and Album Artist.
This yielded a single Artist Folder .
Then I went through each track, sorting into 3 Album Titles.
This yielded 3 Albums inside his Artist folder.
Then I went through each track in each Album and entered the song title.
They all stayed where they belonged!

So it seems that entering all the info at once into Properties is too confusing for the Monkey, versus going from big grouping to individual detail. There's a bug in there somewhere (always thought Runtime Bugs was a good name for a band).

Thanks to you Rusty. and to Lowdown, for stopping by and helping out an old crabby lady. 'Cause I am.