MMA2: minor feature requests [#19931, #19949]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

fournm

MMA2: minor feature requests [#19931, #19949]

Post by fournm »

Hi, sorry, long time user, haven't really had a need for a forum account before but uh, here goes. Just finally got updated to v2 via the play store, build v1073, Samsung s10e.

1. Ability to change the parent nodes / remove parent nodes

I feel like this is something I must just be missing and I'm sorry if it's non-obvious. It's a bit of a bummer that I can't put playlists in what feels like the correct spot anymore because it isn't part of the same node as music. Is there some way to move that, or change the node/subnode alignment, or something?

2. Real amoled black

This might be a bit of a nitpick, but I'd love if there was a proper amoled black mode that... didn't have accent colors and greys. It might have been something some people didn't like about MMA1, but imo it was a feature. An additional skin that was entirely black/white would be great.

3. no swipe gesture mode?

Is it possible to add a setting or is there currently some way to prevent swipe gestures to switch between views while on track lists? I find myself accidentally swiping between tabs a lot, and would rather just... not have that and be able to go back to the home screen if I want to change the view of tracks I'm looking at. Especially with the sidebar that makes it much easier to jump around in navigation purposefully.

4. something for the bottom of the screen for switching to view the queue. this is probably just an extension of 3.

I already miss being able to view the queue by a button press at the bottom of the screen. I have small hands, queue being near the top is.. inconvenient. I can tell there's a swipe gesture, but it's a little hard to tell where the area is for track switching via swipe instead of viewing the art/queue/lyrics.

5. performance

I know it's a work in progress and something that's in progress, but sadly this is the thing that's kept me from full time switching to MMW5 (compared to 4) as well. I find myself doing shuffle all regularly, and there's over 15k tracks on my phone. The new track list has some... ghosting? problems as you scroll if there are that many entries, and it's just not as responsive in general even on the artist or album lists. I'd always been really impressed with MMA1's speed, and it's just sad to see it take a hit. I know that modern view technologies suck compared to the old stuff on performance, just, oof.

---

I don't know if any of this is enough to make me find an old build and revert my phone, but it'd be really nice if these were things that could be addressed or if there's just something I've missed in general.
Barry4679

Re: MMA2: minor feature requests

Post by Barry4679 »

fournm wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:30 pm 3. no swipe gesture mode?
Is it possible to add a setting or is there currently some way to prevent swipe gestures to switch between views while on track lists? I find myself accidentally swiping between tabs a lot, and would rather just... not have that and be able to go back to the home screen if I want to change the view of tracks I'm looking at. Especially with the sidebar that makes it much easier to jump around in navigation purposefully.
I was going to ask which track list you are you using, when you are seeing this?
But I found it in the Tracks sub-node (eg. Music>Tracks) ... You mean here?

A track swipe is ignored at the tracklist at Music>Albums>Album, or at Music>Genres>Genre>Album .. etc etc
And is ignored at Playlists too.

That's what you want ... right?

I agree with you. The swipe needs to be the same everywhere ... or a have a config option to disable it.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
fournm

Post by fournm »

I did end up manually downgrading my app (rip mmstore.db) for now so I apologize that I can't get an exact screenshot easily.
But I found it in the Tracks sub-node (eg. Music>Tracks) ... You mean here?

A track swipe is ignored at the tracklist at Music>Albums>Album, or at Music>Genres>Genre>Album .. etc etc
Specifically on any of the top level subnodes of Music. Left/right swipes between tracks, genre, albums, artists, composers, year. My partner was lightly poking fun at me, but apparently just with how I have to hold a phone with one hand it's really easy for my up/down swipes to get read as left/right.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

fournm wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:16 pm Specifically on any of the top level subnodes of Music. Left/right swipes between tracks, genre, albums, artists, composers, year. My partner was lightly poking fun at me, but apparently just with how I have to hold a phone with one hand it's really easy for my up/down swipes to get read as left/right.
I see what you mean, if you mean that you have to hold and control the phone just using one hand.
Would it help if horizontal swipe was ignored if you have selected one or more tracks?
I think that would be generally useful change, because it is easy to wipe out a multi-track selection, by accidentally swiping horizontally.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
fournm

Post by fournm »

Not really, in the case of what I'm doing? :(

If I may refer to an image from another thread, viewtopic.php?t=104030 --

The first part of this is the screen that I have the problem on. I end up switching between the "Artists" "Composers" "Locations" tabs without intending if I'm using my phone one-handed, doing vertical swipes. If I hold a phone with both hands, I can do it, it's just... this probably didn't exist in MMA1, so I guess I didn't notice.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the feedback!

1. You can change/re-arrange nodes by clicking the 'Edit' (pencil) button on the 'home' screen.
2. We're going to fix this soon--it seems that a lot of people prefer a very dark player.
3/4. You can swipe the Album image to swipe between views. Swiping the track metadata switches the player. We're open to tweaking this in the future, but we're focused on major bug fixes for now.
5. We're working on performance (though I'm not seeing issues scrolling atm--I'll have to add a few more tracks and retest).

-Rusty
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:13 am 3/4. You can swipe the Album image to swipe between views. Swiping the track metadata switches the player. We're open to tweaking this in the future, but we're focused on major bug fixes for now.
In some places in MMA, a track list ignores suspected horizontal side swipes. EG. Music>Album>"Catch A Fire" ... the album's track list is shown, and I am protected against accidental side swipes while I made my track selection for playing, or adding to a playlist, or whatever.

In other places there is no protection against accidental side swipes .. eg Music>Tracks ... this shows the very long list of all tracks, and any accidental side swipe moves to another sub-node. Moving to another sub-node trashes the current track selection. ==> So a lot of work selecting tracks can be lost before I get to act on my selection.

I suggest that side swipes be ignored once at least one track has been selected. ... Well, not ignored. But I have to provide confirmation before you navigate away.

The Same issue exists at the abum level in Music>Albums or other places Genres>{specific genre}>Albums or Genres>{specif genre}>Artists etc
fournm

Post by fournm »

rusty wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:13 am Thanks for the feedback!

1. You can change/re-arrange nodes by clicking the 'Edit' (pencil) button on the 'home' screen.
2. We're going to fix this soon--it seems that a lot of people prefer a very dark player.
3/4. You can swipe the Album image to swipe between views. Swiping the track metadata switches the player. We're open to tweaking this in the future, but we're focused on major bug fixes for now.
5. We're working on performance (though I'm not seeing issues scrolling atm--I'll have to add a few more tracks and retest).

-Rusty
Just want to say thanks for the response, totally understand that priority and can't fault it at all :) If it helps for some context on performance, I seem to have around 560 album artists, 1600 artists, and 18000 tracks. 😅 Didn't quite realize I had synced that much to my phone, but I never noticed before.
rusty

Post by rusty »

2. Dark mode will be included in the next build ;-)
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19931

3/4. Barry, your issue is that accidental side swiping causes selection to be lost. The original issue, though, was that side swipes are often unintentional (even if tracks aren't selected). So the solution should be to make unintentional side swipes less likely. Tracking at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19949

Aside: in Music > Album > Album name, the reason why there's no side swiping is that there's only a single view. i.e. Side swiping is only needed when multiple tabs are displayed so that the data can be displayed in different ways--but for an album there's really only one way to display the data.

Thanks again for the input!

-Rusty
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:45 pm 3/4. Barry, your issue is that accidental side swiping causes selection to be lost. The original issue, though, was that side swipes are often unintentional (even if tracks aren't selected). So the solution should be to make unintentional side swipes less likely. Tracking at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19949
Is good to see that this is fixed in the latest version (1077)
rusty

Re: MMA2: minor feature requests [#19931, #19949]

Post by rusty »

fyi, the issue in which vertical scrolling can unintentionally trigger side swipes [#19949] is fixed in build 1080 (presently available via the Beta channel, scheduled for general rollout next week).

btw, is view performance still an issue for you on build 1080?

-Rusty
fournm

Re: MMA2: minor feature requests [#19931, #19949]

Post by fournm »

Thanks for the update on this -- I'll install 1080 on a separate device to try it soon, since that was the main thing that really led me to downpatch.