Refresh file info after replacing low quality mp3 with high quality flac

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

paulonl

Refresh file info after replacing low quality mp3 with high quality flac

Post by paulonl »

Hi,

I have downloaded a lot of low quality mp3 but am starting to replace these with flac files. This seems to work fine when I replace the full filename of the mp3 with the full filename of the flac file. So far so good and it enables me to keep the file registered on playlists, tags, date added, rating, etc.

However, some file info is not updated, in particular the file's bitrate (should be updated), track volume (may be reset or recalculated if not equal to zero) and waveform (may be reset or will otherwise automatically be recalculated when the track is played). As these 'attributes' are closely tied to the physical file, it would be nice if MM would update or reset/update these when it detects the file is changed. Is it possible to add this functionality?

Thanks!
Paulo
Lowlander

Re: Refresh file info after replacing low quality mp3 with high quality flac

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried rescanning?
paulonl

Post by paulonl »

Yep, and the results are what I described above
paulonl

Post by paulonl »

I tried it again to change the path/filename by editing this in the Path column in the browser (F2) but now MM will not accept the change. It seems to treat the change as a file move and reports that the file already exists and I can't find a way around this. In my earlier attempt it accepted the new file, but now if I paste the new name, it will not even play the file, so it appears that it was a really specific sequence of steps I did in my earlier attempt (and forgot :-?), band now it seems to be screwed up.

I think it would be really useful if this functionality would work as I've seen posts before of people updating music to a better quality and struggling with copying tags from the old to the new file in mp3tag and so on. But in such scenario's the new file needs to be added to MM as a new entry meaning all playlist info and added date is lost.

The preferred scenario for me would be to offer a right-click option for this on the file in the browser that will then do the following:
1 - allow to enter the full file path (Win11 Explorer has an 'Copy as Path' option on a file that makes this easy to do), or alternatively to browse to point to the new file;
2 - MM will update/reset the bitrate, track volume and waveform as I described above;
3 - Give the user the option to update the tags from MM to the file.

If there is any way to achieve this file replacement scenario currently in MM then I would love to hear about it because there appears no other way of doing this unless using an external tag editor, importing and loosing playlist data, etc.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I was surprised it worked in the first place. I wouldn't expect it to as it's a filename change instruction.

I'm hoping for the Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix getting updated for MediaMonkey 5, or more specifically the ability to copy Added from one file to the other. Replacing on Playlists and removal of the old copy, and the ability to do it in batches (generally per Album for me) would be really nice to. A bonus would be the ability to configure the copying of any tags from the old file to the new file.
paulonl

Post by paulonl »

Do you have an ETA for this? And could you perhaps ensure that the functionality as described is included, or at least the switch of the underlying physical file in the existing MM5 database record?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, I'm not sure that any Addon developer is working on this.