iPhone syncs correctly, iPad does not

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

jimgibson

iPhone syncs correctly, iPad does not

Post by jimgibson »

Hello,

I have an iPad mini 5th generation (14.0.1) and an iPhone 8 (14.0.1). Both have the same settings in iTunes, including “Manually manage music and videos.” Both devices also have the same settings in MediaMonkey.

I sync both devices in iTunes to keep my calendars and contacts updated. I sync both devices in MediaMonkey for my music.

The MediaMonkey music syncs for both devices work correctly. The iTunes sync for my Phone works correctly. However, the iTunes sync for my iPad erases my music each time.

When viewing “Music” on my iPhone on the iTunes screen with “Library Radio and Store” on the top, my songs are listed. The songs are not on the same iTunes screen for the iPad. I am guessing that is why my songs on the iPad are being erased during an iTunes sync.

Why does the iPhone list the songs and the iPad does not? Is that the problem? If so, how do I fix it? If that is not the problem, what is the problem and how can it be resolved?

Thank you very much,

Jim Gibson
Lowlander

Re: iPhone syncs correctly, iPad does not

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey and iTunes?
jimgibson

Post by jimgibson »

MM: 4.1.30.1912
iTunes: 12.10.9.3
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture the iPad sync in a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support@mediamonkey.com: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=6&t=341
jimgibson

Post by jimgibson »

This problem was occurring prior to installation of the beta version, which was only installed so that MediaMonkey could "see" the iPad.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Jim,

Can you confirm the iTunes settings for each of 'Sync Music', 'Sync Movies', 'Sync TV Shows', and 'Sync Photos' on the iPad ?

Thanks.

-Rusty
jimgibson

Post by jimgibson »

Hi Rusty,

I just reviewed those iPad iTune settings and they are all unchecked.

Thanks,

Jim
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the debug log you sent. It seems to show that _MediaMonkey_ is deleting many files from the iPad as part of the sync operation. Could it be that the sync profile for the iPad is configured to do so? e.g. in the Auto-Sync (--> Device) tab of the sync profile, is 'delete other files and playlists from the device enabled' ?

OR could it be that you're not seeing content that has been synced to the iPad because Options > Auto-Conversion isn't set to convert unsupported formats (e.g. FLAC) to a format that the iPad can read?

-Rusty
jimgibson

Post by jimgibson »

Hi, Rusy,

Thanks very for your response.

I unchecked the "Delete other files," in MediaMonkey, performed another sync and all the other songs are still on the iPad. FLAC was also checked and all the songs are still there on the iPad.

The deleting of songs on the iPad is occurring when I do an iTunes sync (to update my contacts and calendars) even when "Manually manage my music and videos" is checked in iTunes.

Jim
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi Jim,
as for the issue of iTunes wiping music synced by MeidaMonkey.
This is known issue after a recent iTunes update and other apps are facing this as well, e.g. iMazing solves it by this KB article: https://support.imazing.com/hc/en-us/ar ... _site=true

I understand that it is limitation if you want to sync music by MediaMonkey and contact/calendars by iTunes.
I think that the solution would be to use iMazing for the contact/calendars sync.

Let us know how it works for you.
jimgibson

Post by jimgibson »

Hi,

Is there a reason why songs are not erased on my iPhone? All of the settings are the same.

Thanks,

Jim
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

jimgibson wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:55 pm Hi,

Is there a reason why songs are not erased on my iPhone? All of the settings are the same.

Thanks,

Jim
Yes, the older models (before 2018) did not observe this issue, but starting from iTunes 12.10.9.3 all the iOS models does exhibit this issue.
jimgibson

Post by jimgibson »

Is the iPhone 8 is considered an older model?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, the models released before year 2018 did not exhibit this issue, but with iTunes 12.10.9.3 update all iOS devices are affected, so I guess that iTunes wipes music also from your iPhone 8 now.
jimgibson

Post by jimgibson »

But the iTunes sync does not wipe out my MonkeyMedia music on the iPhone- like it does on the new iPad.
Last edited by jimgibson on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.