Only one wish to the next versions of Songs-DB

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Anders

Only one wish to the next versions of Songs-DB

Post by Anders »

Hi there!

I discovered Songs-DB a few days ago and I╞m *IN LOVE* :D

Yet one thing really irritates me... the splash screen when you start the application! Especially because the picture is horrible (sorry about the offensive word).
Luckily you can disable the background images - if you couldn't I wouldn't have been using Songs-DB.

As a perfectionist, my point is: make Songs-DB look better and cooler - I would really appreciate it. :wink:

Enough critics!.. I think it is a really nice music manager. Thanks to all the people behind it! (or is it only you, jiri?)

Anders Lindbo Larsen

PS. Don't tell me that there is a button to deactivate the splash screen... sigh!
PPS. By making Songs-DB look better and cooler, I do not mean that I want it to be skinable (that'll be too much work). But nicer icons and a new cool splash screen/logo would make it a lot more attractive... Keep it simple and with a cool look!
ScubbX

Post by ScubbX »

Well.... I think you can already "dress" SongsDB wery well. Ok,it is very complicated and it would be cool, if there would be more options so manipulate the backgroud....

For an example, here is my version of SongsDB:

Looks cool,ey? :)
Impossible? Impossible!!
Anders

Post by Anders »

Wohoo!.. I got registered :D

ScubbX: Congrats with the cool look (chick)!... but that wasn't the way I wanted Songs-DB to look like... I'd better point out my wishes:

1. I think it's ok with just a grey (or what the color is in Win XP) background with no images.

2. A Win XP-style for the icons would be nice in my opinion.

3. If Songs-DB SHAL have a splash screen then make a new fancy one. (Or make a little designer competition to find a good logo / splash screen for Songs-DB)

Anders Lindbo Larsen

PS. ScubbX: I noticed on your screenshot that you've got Winamp installed.. SHOOO! :wink:
It's better to be a fake somebody than a real nobody!
jiri

Post by jiri »

To ScubbX: Really nice design! Would you mind if I add your screenshot to the official ones?

To Anders:

There is a command line option /NOSPLASH which causes that the splash screen isn't shown. I hope you will be happy not to see that picture anymore, won't you? :wink:

I would like to improve the design, so if anyone reading this can send his/her proposals, I will be happy.

... and all people behind it - yes it is only me :roll:

Jiri
Anders

Post by Anders »

Much better... no rock'n'roll guy popping up any more, thanks a lot! :D

I just think you should see my Songs-DB (don't want to mess up the forum). It's nothing special but I like it because of the plain look.

And then a question: Is it legal to take the icons from another media player, and use them in Songs-DB? If it is, I could provide you with some nice "TrueColor" icons. 8)

If you want Jiri, I could also try to make a fancy logo for Songs-DB - there's nothing i would be more proud of. :wink:

Anders Lindbo Larsen

PS. I hope this message will look ok - this webserver isn't reliable at all!
jiri

Post by jiri »

Your Songs-DB looks like it originally looked several months ago. :) However I think many people like some graphics in an application, so I included it.

I'm afraid it isn't possible to take icons from other applications, it is probably necessary to make some new ones.

If you can make a logo - it would be great! Of course, anyone else can participate in this "contest". :P

The web will be faster in few days - I'm going to change webhosting for a paid one :(

Jiri
Anders

Post by Anders »

Quick answer! :D

My question was not if it's possible - it is.
I wondered if it was legal.

And that logo... am I totally free to decide everything about it?

Anders Lindbo Larsen
jiri

Post by jiri »

Ok, I didn't mean that it isn't possible, but that it isn't legal. :) It is probably a bit harder question, because an icon is so small graphics, that making it a copyrighted work is almost like making the number "386" copyrighted to Intel. Anyway, a new set icons would be useful.

I think that the logo can contain almost anything related to Songs-DB, probably the text "Songs-DB" could be included, but it is up to your creativity!

Thanks,
Jiri
ScubbX

Post by ScubbX »

@jiri: Of course you can. But I`m not sure if its legal to provide the backgroud-picture?
I took it from a Final Fantasy X fansite. (well,I don`t know the game itself,but the picture was nice)

But I think you are very well informed about "law-questions" :wink:
(I mean, you have do deal with questions like this very often, if you develope a freeare-program?)

@Anders: i cant display your link.It says "Authorisation required" or something like this.....?
Impossible? Impossible!!
jiri

Post by jiri »

I don't think it's any problem to put it on the screenshots page. Just take a loot to WinAmp's skins page and you will see that most of skins are taken from games or some scanned pictures. :D

Well, I'm informed about law-related questions a bit, but I'm not a lawyer (fortunately). :wink:

Jiri
Anders

Post by Anders »

Hi again!

I have finally finished the logo for Songs-DB. I sent it to Jiri in the weekend but haven't got any answer, so I am posting it here now.

Have a look at it here!

If you have any ideas of how to improve the logo or maybe just comments, please let me know :)

Anders

PS. The server that hosts the logo is working crappy (just like this one did :wink: ). If it won't work try again later.