No sound with Asus Xonar DX through DirectSound or WASAPI

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JustExtreme

No sound with Asus Xonar DX through DirectSound or WASAPI

Post by JustExtreme »

I recently got a new sound card - an Asus Xonar DX. I'm using Windows 8.1 and UniXonar drivers.

I am able to get audio through other applications (including other media players) and the OS just fine but with MediaMonkey I can't get any sound through either DirectSound or WASAPI.

I've made sure to select Speakers (Asus Xonar DX Audio Device) in the settings of both output plugin.

My system does have two other audio devices (the onboard ALC1200 and the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music) but they are disabled in Audio/Playback Devices in Control Panel.

The third party application XonarSwitch shows audio output during MediaMonkey playback but there is just silence from the speakers.

Thanks in advance :)
Lowlander

Re: No sound with Asus Xonar DX through DirectSound or WASAP

Post by Lowlander »

Have you checked the MediaMonkey Volume (right click MediaMonkey tray icon in Taskbar and select Volume > 100%)?
JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme »

Yeah it's at 100% both there in the tray menu and in the UI.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme »

Tried a few things from there.

I'm gonna try disabling the other audio devices through device manager tomorrow and see what happens

I'll update then :)
JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme »

Disabling them via Device Manager made no difference. I just tried doing a portable install in a seperate location to my installation and strangely sound works fine with that. Perhaps I need to do a clean install.
Last edited by JustExtreme on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Portable install is the way to go, as it can eliminate a lot of software/hardware "conflict" issues.
I would only do a clean install if you are having problems with other programs and hardware not believed to be related to MM.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme »

I meant seperate.

And by Clean Install I meant mediamonkey, I wouldn't reinstall my whole OS just because of a media player not working :)

So I just tried something different. I uninstalled mediamonkey but keeping my user files and database, deleted /Program Files (x86)/MediaMonkey/ and then reinstalled. I now have sound with all output plugins.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Gotcha, makes a lot more sense :wink:
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜