Clean ID3v1 and V2 tags not working - bug?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

flatterbe

Clean ID3v1 and V2 tags not working - bug?

Post by flatterbe »

Hi

I just bought MediaMonkey 4.1.2.1706.
Because my music folder is quite messy, I wanted to clear all tags and start from scratch.

So I select my tracks, goto Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Clean ID3v1 and V2 tags.
The progress bar starts running but afterwards all tags (album/genre/rating/...) are still visible. Even after I synchronise tags...

What am I doing wrong or is this a bug?

Regards
MMFrLife

Re: Clean ID3v1 and V2 tags not working - bug?

Post by MMFrLife »

I've never had a need to use it myself, but I decided to test it out on a couple of tunes and I'm not getting anything noticeable either.
I could just be missing something though, like it cleans them but not in a way I'm expecting (it says something about "doesn't change library properties").

I followed the instructions to the T http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... _Your_Tags

I performed it under both Library and My Computer.

MM 4.1.3.1707

Anyway, someone 'll be around to inform.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
๐Ÿ˜œ
imvery@live

Post by imvery@live »

Thank you for testing.
Seems like something is not working with this functionality :-(
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Thank you for thanking me :wink:
Anxious to see what up wit dat? I'm sure it's something simple.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
๐Ÿ˜œ
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What file type(s) are you performing this on and with which version of MediaMonkey?

Note that the feature to clean ID3v1 and V2 tags won't remove database values, it is supposed to only remove all tags from the file itself (not sure if this is only for formats with ID3 tags like MP3). The idea behind this feature is that you can remove all tags (and any corruptions) to then save them again (with Synchronize Tags).

If you want to start again just select all files in the Library (or the ones you want to do this on), right click > Properties and then clear all applicable fields (multiple value fields will show without value, just check their checkbox) and click OK. I don't recommend to do this though. Note that this action may not clear the tags in the files (MediaMonkey used to not wipe fields to be on the safe side, not sure if this has changed).
imvery@live

Post by imvery@live »

I use the latest version: MediaMonkey 4.1.2.1706 with ordinary MP3-files.

I know that 'Clean ID3v1 and V2 tags...' doesn't remove the tags from the database before a 'synchronise tags...' is done.
But even when I 'cleaned' all mp3's and do a 'Synchronize Tags...', ALL tags are still visible.

However like you said, I can select some files and edit their properties (or in this case, wipe all the tags) but what's the use of 'Clean ID3v1 and V2 tags...' when I have to do it manually through the properties of files?

Seems like a bug to me.
Tried this with MP3's with ID3v1, ID3v2, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4.
'Clean ID3v1 and V2 tags...' doesn't clean anything... :-(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

imvery@live wrote:I know that 'Clean ID3v1 and V2 tags...' doesn't remove the tags from the database before a 'synchronise tags...' is done.
But even when I 'cleaned' all mp3's and do a 'Synchronize Tags...', ALL tags are still visible.
All tags shown in MediaMonkey will remain visible and this is expected. MediaMonkey only wipes the tags in the files. Synchronize Tags will rewrite database values to the tags. Neither feature will remove tags from the Library.

I just tried Clean ID3v1 & v2 on a couple MP3's and as expected the tags were wiped from the files themselves (checked with MediaInfo and Windows Explorer). So it seems to work as it should on MediaMonkey 4.1.2
imvery@live

Post by imvery@live »

I see.
Just tested this and you're right.

The tags are wiped indeed, but how can I view the changes in the Library?
Quite odd that the library view shows tags that are different from the mp3's.

Why doesn't the library show the updated tags?
Seems logic that the library view should reflect what the real tags are. Not the old (wiped) values.

Don't get it...
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Yes, I see it too! :D

I guess one purpose would be, if something happened to your files (or a file) and you had to rerip/replace them you could easily get back all/any previous unique/custom info by syncronizing tags.....? .....or just before you migrate files over to a new drive or system to make sure no data gets messed up/lost in the transfer.
imvery@live wrote:The tags are wiped indeed, but how can I view the changes in the Library?
If you just want to clear file tags "and" the mirrored library info, don't use "clean.....tags". You could bring up the files (Entire Library) > select all > and wipe all or any
unwanted fields or create a collection(s) for certain files/lib. info you want to work with to wipe/clean.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
๐Ÿ˜œ
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

imvery@live wrote:I see.
Just tested this and you're right.

The tags are wiped indeed, but how can I view the changes in the Library?
Quite odd that the library view shows tags that are different from the mp3's.

Why doesn't the library show the updated tags?
Seems logic that the library view should reflect what the real tags are. Not the old (wiped) values.

Don't get it...
Library values are always shown, not tags. If you want to clear your tracks of all tags just Edit > Select all, right click -> Properties, and blank out all fields (and put a check mark in each box next to the fields).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey always shows Library values over tag values. The purpose of this tool is to wipe the tags in case of some corruption and to then use Synchronize Tags to rewrite them. Few people will wipe their tags to actually wipe their tags as it's hard to figure out which song is which without tags (Tools > Auto-Tag from Filename can be used if folder/filenames are useful).