MEDIAmonkey or just AUDIOmonkey ?...

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Stan

Post by Stan »

I'm for video support, as long as it doesn't interfere with the Audio portion.

For me I could care less if I were able to play the "Video" through MM, just having it able to sync with my iPod would be good enough.
Currently I use itunes just to sync videos and an occasional podcast.
junkmale

Re: Audio vs Video

Post by junkmale »

rusty wrote:When we first chose the name MediaMonkey, we never thought we'd be working on the Audio portion until now.

As it turns out, though, most of our users like MM precisely because it does the audio side of things so well. So we still want to do video, but we think that our users would prefer that we fix/improve whatever deficiencies exist on the audio side before proceeding to the video stuff.

But you're the users....so speak up.

-Rusty
"AudioMonkey" works fine for me.
I realize I'm in a minority, as I don't watch video clips, care about Album (or any other) art, have never seen/heard a Podcast, don't give a damn about Skins/Visualizations & my portable music device is the laptop I'm typing this on.

I just want to listen to & edit my music.
2.5 does this beautifully, & I assume 3.X will continue to do so.

That said, I'm still also running MusicMatch 7, as it does a couple of things MediaMonkey doesn't, (unless I simply haven't found your Alarm Clock setting).

I like the ability to switch between multiple libraries in MusicMatch.
If only it's database handling wasn't so crap.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Couple things I've thought of since my initial post. Due to computer problems though I haven't been able to follow this thread closely and not really in the mood to read through several pages. Anyway...

A) There are many Video Players out there, I in fact use VLC and/or Media Player Classic for 99.9% of my video playing. However, while there are countless video players there aren't nearly as many programs that give you the capability of 'databasing' them. Sure, there are ones like Windows Media Player, iTunes & J. River Media Center that allow you to scan in videos into your library and add information about them, etc. but I personally have tried and disliked all of the above.

MediaMonkey however, I love every bit about it in regards to audio handling. Would love for that to be brought to the video game and make some waves. Might just be me though.

B) Perhaps the developers could look into going in a 'Sister Software' route in which they put together a program much like MediaMonkey strictly for video? Just an idea. *Shrugs*
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

I would like to have basic video support so I can stop using iTunes altogether except for firmware upgrades.
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

I'm against video-support - simply because it isn't needed. There are so much programs which can handle them and probably also a lot better.

Two drawback would be, that:
1. The program would get bigger and probably slower (at least not faster!). Winamp made the same mistake when they changed from 2.x to 3.x. Same thing for Nero which gets bigger and bigger with every release...
2. The devs would certainly need a lot of time to develope and maintain that feature. So there is less time for audio which is the main function of MM. So less new features for audio, more time to fix bugs...

MM is just the best in audio and I hope that it focus on that also in the feature. There is still a lot of work to do because also the others like Winamp get more powerful.

But in one thing I agree: A basic support for uploading videos, podcasts and photos (?) to ipods would be great. Then it would really be an alternative for ipod-owners.
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
Hooah

Post by Hooah »

I just want to cast my vote. No video.

I thought I would like it, but looking how WinAmp and other great players got bloated and lost vocus on the music aspect, they started to suck.
wokou
pah68

Post by pah68 »

I don't want to be able to watch movies etc, I just want to seemlesly play my music videos along with audio tacks and if possible, have them volume levelled.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

as i said in my first post in the thread. i don't need video watching support.

but i think a tagging support for the video files would be well worth including. and those that want to use monkey to watch it with can use the plugin from winamp that works just not with with everyones systems from what i seen in some other posts on the forum. but it does work.

but for me personel i am agreeing with Pah68 i don't need video player in monkey.
8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

pah68 wrote:I don't want to be able to watch movies etc, I just want to seemlesly play my music videos along with audio tacks and if possible, have them volume levelled.
So uh, not to be facitious... but what is the difference between a movie and a music video? an hour and 40 minutes length?

IMO, video is video, and if support for 'music videos' went in, then by the nature of video, then support for any videos (of the supported file types) would be automatic, unless your suggesting there should be some silly limitation on video length.

Video support in MM would motivate me to find a good video/mp3 player.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

Teknojnky wrote:
pah68 wrote:I don't want to be able to watch movies etc, I just want to seemlesly play my music videos along with audio tacks and if possible, have them volume levelled.
So uh, not to be facitious... but what is the difference between a movie and a music video? an hour and 40 minutes length?

IMO, video is video, and if support for 'music videos' went in, then by the nature of video, then support for any videos (of the supported file types) would be automatic, unless your suggesting there should be some silly limitation on video length.

Video support in MM would motivate me to find a good video/mp3 player.
Relax will ya, I was suggesting basic video support, when I used movies as an example I was suggesting that a full blown video media player wasn't necessary, just something simple like the current plugin, but integrated. The ability to tag videos would be nice.
phasmnite

Post by phasmnite »

I vote Yes for proposition 'Video support'.

I don't care if its a plugin, or inside mediamonkey.

Just be able to use and support the codecs installed on the system,
as much as i like vlc, having internal codecs built in is great, but sometimes
it can mess things up. Have a priority for system installed codecs.

The other thing i want, full screen controls. I don't care how you do it, just leave the mouse of it. Give me a nice popup bar with a slider, some basic controls and im good.

besides that, keep it simple. Maybe just add an organizational menu for videos, like you did for podcast or something. Its up to you. But keep music and video seperate please, but let me organize it all the same. :)

I use to use a video plugin for MM 2.5, but it was kinda eh >: . I think you can do a much better job.

Post by Guest »

I do watch videos and I've gotten a plugin to let me do that, but I'd like to be able to sync videos to my iPod.
Peke

Post by Peke »

One of Biggest questions is GDI (DirecX???/Video For Windows, Windows95+) Vs. VMR-7 (DirectX7, Windows 98+) Vs. VMR-9 (DirectX9, WindowsXP+) Vs. EVR (DirectX10? or Media Fundation, Vista+). I know that some are absolute now but still ...

This rises what to support and base plugin on?

There are also independent renderer solutions like Haali, QuickTime, RealVideo, and we even not mentioned Hardware Randerer.

Tagging? Lyrics/Subtitles? Codecs? output?

Things that needs to be supported can be seen in Media Player Classic (MPC) -> View -> Options Player -> Output and each one have its advantages and faults + Bugs + Fixes + ...

Things need to be well thought before done.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Maniak

Post by Maniak »

Hi,

I'm searching a FULL alternative to iTunes and looked to MM.
I'm sorry to leave MM because it doesn't support video sync....

So please, recall MM as AUDIOmonkey or DO something for videos.

You just lost a MM user....
RogerD_AZ

Post by RogerD_AZ »

I've been with MM since it was Sonic-DB and always found it perfect, but I too have stopped using it due to lack of video transfer. For as little as I knew when I bought the video ipod that I'd use it for video, seems there is always one video I'd like on it and MM mixed with itunes doesn't work, and MM alone won't do it.

I personally think that MM can forgo the ability to play the videos, but at least have it sync them correctly with nothing else than the intent, at least for now, to view them on the Ipod only. I think that should be easy enough to add, and avoids the itunes/MM database corruption.

Besides, can you guys really sleep at night knowing myself and others have resorted back to iTunes.. oh the shame you must feel.

Roger