'Adding new files to Archiv' spawns new scan process every time [#17609][#17543]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

stoffel65

'Adding new files to Archiv' spawns new scan process every time [#17609][#17543]

Post by stoffel65 »

The behaviour of the 'Adding new files to Archiv'-Dialog is odd!

I have set the time plan to 'Scan on Startup'. I would expect that the next scan is triggered on next startup of the App.
Instead it starts immediately when closing the Dialog with 'Ok'. And *every time* I close this Dialog with 'Ok' a new scan is triggered even if a previous one is already running. So when opening and closing the Dialog a few times I get a funny status line where a number of scan processes are running and racing. That looks interesting but not very smart...
Lowlander

Re: 'Adding new files to Archiv' spawns new scan process every time

Post by Lowlander »

When you click OK it will both do the manual scan as set on the left side of the dialog and save the Folder Monitoring settings. If you don't want anything scanned manually you need to make sure nothing is selected to be scanned on the left side.
stoffel65

Post by stoffel65 »

Mmmh,
I have one folder defined for 'Scan on startup"
Why is it doing a scan when I quit with OK and not only on next startup?
And why is it doing a scan *every time* I'm closing the dialog even if a previous scan is still running? It should recognize the running scan, not starting a new scan. Quiting the Dialog a few times with Ok repeatedly, I generate a bunch of parallel running scan processes, which can't be intentional.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

stoffel65 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:40 am Mmmh,
I have one folder defined for 'Scan on startup"
Why is it doing a scan when I quit with OK and not only on next startup?
It is either a bug, or a bad part of the UI, which needs further work.

If it is the later, the check boxes marked in green here, need a column heading that says something like "Scan Immediately".

At the moment the intent of the checkbox is unclear ... like you I would have assumed that it means that the associated line is activated... ie the folder will be scanned at next start-up as you have specified.

Actually, after thinking about this, my above sentence is much too generous. The intent of the checkbox seems 100% clear, and it is not as described by Lowlander ... IMO they should fix this. .... Maybe they could place a new "Scan Now" button, immediately under the column of check boxes

Here is similar looking example from the MM5 UI ... I have setup two filter criteria lines, and atm only one of those lines are active, as indicated by the checkboxes.

It is bad if MM5 has two similar looking situations, where the meaning of the check boxes are entirely different.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
stoffel65

Post by stoffel65 »

Well, I think there is another problem then, maybe with my installation (I'm using the german translation):

My MMW5 does not have a Checkbox before 'Location' ! And yes you are right, having this would make it more logical.

My Dialog

Okay, I see now! The Checkboxes are only displayed if there is more than one Line of Location!

So, I'm adding the following Bug-Report:
Having only one Location in this Dialog, Checkboxes are not displayed before Locations, refusing the ability to select/deselect an entry.
Instead the one and only Entry is always selected by default, resulting in a scan, even if not intended.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I do not see the bug here as if you have only one location you just click cancel and scan is not started. If you click OK it is logical that MM confirm settings and scan.

If you have multiple locations you can select which ones you want to scan on pressing OK.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:16 am I do not see the bug here as if you have only one location you just click cancel and scan is not started. If you click OK it is logical that MM confirm settings and scan.
The OP is not clicking the checkbox. IMO it is not logical in this situation:
  • take option Add/Scan
  • create a new location, and set it to scan on "AtStartup"
  • MM5 auto-sets the line to checked ... why?
  • press OK, thinking that the check just activats the rule (ie. like in the Advanced Search facility illustrated in the image I posted last time, when the checkbox activates the search criteria line
It is not expected that MM5 would scan location now ... because this is not at "A Startup" time.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:05 am press OK, thinking that the check just activats the rule (ie. like in the Advanced Search facility illustrated in the image I posted last time, when the checkbox activates the search criteria line

It is not expected that MM5 would scan location now ... because this is not at "A Startup" time.
I would disagree, If you Browse folders and pres INS to add folder to library Others are auto deselected. OK Needs to do a scan in order to be able to report any issues, like permission issues, ... using File -> Add Rescan you already want to scan. and if only one location is there you are confirming that you want to scan if there is more then you have choice to select one you want to scan.

EDIT: If you have added only one, baseline needs to be set, so again first scan is preferred as you firstly added the location which have not been scanned on MM5 start. Also if you enter Add Scan dialog again and you have On startup if you click OK you initiate Rescan/Refresh while MM5 is running. Again if you do not want that then Cancel is option.
Best regards,
Peke
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

The OP only had one location, the checkbox has been defaulted to checked, and it is invisible.

From what he said, every time he goes to Add/Scan and then press OK, it does a manual scan. This is unexpected when the location is set to At Startup. It is hard to see an invisible checkbox.

If the checkbox is going to have some function other than enable|disable the location, the checkbox column needs a column label. Or there needs to be a Scan Now button, additional to the OK|Cancel buttons to persist any updates IMO
stoffel65

Post by stoffel65 »

I think Barry made it very clear, already.
At least the User should know what's going to happen, when he presses 'Ok'.
This is not the case in my situation: Only one folder location with an invisible but checked Checkbox and a schedule 'On Startup'

Making the Checkbox visible all the time, and giving it a meaningful name: 'Do Scan' would solve the problem immediately.
Alternatively: Adding a button 'Scan now", besides 'Ok' and 'Cancel' would be the perfect solution

Edit: I think Barry and me have the same solution paths at the same time :D Funny coincidence!
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

stoffel65 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:12 am I think Barry and me have the same solution paths at the same time :D Funny coincidence!
:D
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
uitje30

Re: 'Adding new files to Archiv' spawns new scan process every time [#17609][#17543]

Post by uitje30 »

There is another isue with adding files to the Library.
My music is located on a Synology server. Recycle bin is enabled. I experience two isues:
1. because the bin is enabled on the server, when rescanning the Music-folder, all files in the bin are rescanned / added too. This leads to many double entries and other problems. Is it possible to add an "exclude folder"-option to prevent the recycle bin from being scanned?
2. I now resolved the first isue by not selecting the Music folder for rescanning/adding, but by selecting all folders in the Music-folder individually. This is not a very practical way to do things, because there are a mamy subfolders located in the Music-folder. Added to that is the isue that, when choosing add/rescan to library, all subfolers are selected automatically. If I only want to rescan/add one folder, I need to unselect all folders manually or rescan the entire Music-folder, which takes quite some time. I don't see a top checkbox to select/deselect all. Could this be added?
3. Can you implement an option to add/rescan only the selected item in the left pane? So, if I point to a certain artist and right-click, the option to add only that item to the Library? I think it was there in MM4, but now it's gone.

Thanks!
Peke

Re: 'Adding new files to Archiv' spawns new scan process every time [#17609][#17543]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
1. Not sure what server you are using but on MY QNAP I have Multimedia Share and Music as subfolder so I scan taht folder only and my @recycle do not get added, also @recycle is set to be accessed only by System UI and can't be added/browsed from Network share.

2. You can select all subfolders -> expand share and deselect, but adding Exclude in add/rescan instead of Tools -> Options -> Library -> Auto-Organize would be nice. Need to see how to best approach.

3. This already function like that if you browse Folders node and you press INS it will add that folder only and deselect others.
Best regards,
Peke
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Point 1, 2. for exclude folders is added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17610
Best regards,
Peke