MMSocketServer

This forum is for questions / discussions regarding development of addons / tweaks for MediaMonkey for Windows 4.

Moderators: Gurus, Addon Administrators

Pater

MMSocketServer

Post by Pater »

Hi

I am developing a program with the goal to unify the way apps connect to mediamonkey.
It also has the advantage that you do not have to create a back-end for every app,
and enable users to use whatever app they like (as long as it was developed to use MMSocketServer,
and MMSocketServer is running on the PC you want to connect to)

I would like to hear your opinion on this initiative... based on your input i'll decide whether to further develop this software
(I myself only need the basic functions)

check out http://mmss.peterelzinga.eu/wiki for the details
mcow

Re: MMSocketServer

Post by mcow »

I have my doubts about a third party communications layer for fourth-party apps to connect with. When I created my remote interface, I used Python to build a webserver that hooks directly to the MM scripting interface. It does use JSON to package data to and from my specialized web app, but that JSON has custom information that wouldn't be useful to anyone else; and it certainly doesn't open up MediaMonkey for general-purpose usage.

If you make a general open socket, what's to stop your roommate from accessing it and deleting your library?
Pater

Re: MMSocketServer

Post by Pater »

Good point. There should be some security build in. I'll look in to that!!

thanks for sharing your opinion!