Volume Leveling..once again

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MoreTrife

Volume Leveling..once again

Post by MoreTrife »

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I can't find an answer specific to me.

I have over 1000 albums. It is super annoying when I am shuffling all of them and a super loud album comes on. And not like classical vs hip-hop. like one hip-hop album isn't that loud then the next one comes on distorting the speaker loud!

I still can't grasp what volume leveling will do and I'm afraid to make any permanent changes to all those albums. I tried volume leveling on one album that was super loud compared to others and now it is super quiet and I am irritated.

So...what will volume leveling do if I run it on all 1000 albums? Will there be some consistency or will they all be really quiet afterwards?

THANK YOU!
nohitter151

Re: Volume Leveling..once again

Post by nohitter151 »

The volume will be consistent. But in order to get a consistent volume, many times the volume is lowered (it's easier to decrease volume for many tracks than to increase volume for tracks - because it causes distortion). Anyway if you don't want the change to be permanent, use volume analysis.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MoreTrife

Post by MoreTrife »

thanks for the reply. i don't know what my problem is but i just can't grasp this volume leveling/analyzing concept.

so i analyzed 10,000+ tracks. they all seem quieter now. when i got into properties of each track/details, i see "leveling" then something like "track: -6.5db album: -5.4 db". i've also noticed tracks added since the analysis already have this "detail" on the volume level. also, i noticed tracks with + db levels are quiet tracks, like classical or ambient...i don't want those levels affecting or bringing down loud tracks, i just want consistentcy amongst loud tracks...possible?

1. what do these values indicate? that this track needs to be lowered 6.5db to get to the consistent db of 89db (which is the setting)?
2. is any sound quality lost or do i just need to turn the speakers up? (i worry when i do turn it up thinking "does this sound the same as before?") i feel like the tracks have lost their "omph", all in my head?
3.is the analysis done to find this leveling "detail" on tracks that don't have it? then MM uses that detail to play files consistently?
4. can it be undone? do i just uncheck level playback volume?

sorry i am stupid but i appreciate any help!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Well simply sad that value is telling player to lower playback Volume for 6.5db there is nothing with Dynamics. By Audio CD standard default value is 89db but most of newer CDs are burned in 93-95db as it is mostly Top to playback without distortion.

Try that value and always keep Clipping prevention on. I do not Level any track I just use Analyze as i want to keep original sound, but I want my playback is normalized.

Hope I helped.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MoreTrife

Post by MoreTrife »

thanks peke,

so what you're saying is try it at 93db? do i just go to the volume leveling option menu and raise the volume playback to 93db? (clipping prevention is already selected).

i only did volume analyze, glad i was told the difference.
thanks again.
MoreTrife

Post by MoreTrife »

okay peke, i raised the playback volume to 93 and that did it i think. much more oomph!!! but seems to have consistent playback level! thanks for the help!
Peke

Post by Peke »

use Some CD-RW medias to see what best suits you for Burning. Values I use are on 95db.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts