Get MM working on Mac w/Crossover

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

THD

Get MM working on Mac w/Crossover

Post by THD »

Hey all, new to forum and I got my MM working on my MAC - didn't see a solution after searching here high and low so figured I'd post what I did. Like a bunch of others I'm a n00b to MAC and found myself like everyone else missing MM. I *finally* got it working, this is what I did. BTW this is on iMac running OS-X 10.6.2.

I use Crossover for various M$ progs - if you don't have Crossover this will not work for you. My MM install went fine but I had no sound and all my tracks were grayed out. If this is your problem, this is what I did:

#1 Get MM installed and in it's own bottle.
#2 Enable sound in the bottle.
Crossover->Configure->Manage Bottles. Pick the MM bottle, Control Panel->winecfg->Launch Selected Item. Now it looks like a Windoze properties box. Select the Audio tab and enable audio. Test sound it should work. So now Wine sound works. Now need to get MM sound working.
#3 I had no input mp3 decoder. Grabbed the Thompson MP3 Pro from MM. It's a .exe so you need to fake the install in Wine.
But first some prep work. You need to manually create a Winamp folder for the plugin to see (or just have Winamp installed) but I didn't so this is what I did. Go Manage Bottles->Advanced-> Open C: Drive in Finder. Under Program Files, create a Winamp folder, then create a text file, rename it to winamp.exe to fake out the installer. Done with that so back to Manage Bottles->Applications->Install Software. Pick the mp3PROAudioDecoder.exe installer and install into the MM bottle (says not recommended, etc..). Install WILL fail. We don't care. Once done and failed, go to the Winamp folder you just created and grab the in_mp3PRO.dll and put it into the plugins directory of MM. Restart MM and go.

My in/out dlls are:
Input - THOMSON mpePRO Decoder v1.2 (x86) in_mp3PRO.dll
Output - waveOut output v2.0.2a out_wave.dll

Now I have a working MM install on my mac. Sweet!
MaFt

Re: Get MM working on Mac w/Crossover

Post by MaFt »

cheers - will try this tonight. i got crossover when they gave it away for free the other year :)
http://maft.co.uk
MaFt

Post by MaFt »

Mr THD - YOU ARE A FREAKIN' STAR!!!

I'd tried before using CrossOver and had an error on install but couldn't get anything going... It was the input plugin's that I missed out. All sorted now, although it took me a while to locate my network drives (root\volumes\FOLDERNAME).

For ease of other people doing this the plugin is available here: http://www.mp3prozone.com/download_winamp.htm

MaFt - eagerly awaiting 9,000 tracks to be added to library over network!
zlonik

Post by zlonik »

Thank you very much for the manual! However is there any chance that you could upload somewhere the bottle with the working mediamonkey already in it?
MaFt

Post by MaFt »

zlonik wrote:Thank you very much for the manual! However is there any chance that you could upload somewhere the bottle with the working mediamonkey already in it?
just install it as above?
MaFt

Post by MaFt »

while this, in general, works smoothly i do have an issue...

i can't see the 'list' view of all albums when i select a folder in the tree on the left. however, if i select 'album art' or 'album art with details' views these work fine.

also, the layout doesn't save when i close/restart - the 2 could be related.

when i close i get the following error and none of my layouts / playlists etc are 'saved' for next launch:

Access violation at address 00404CD8 in module 'MediaMonkey.exe'. Read of address FFFFFFC.

anyone else get this? - this is with Crossover 7.1
MaFt

Post by MaFt »

just bought version 9 of crossover and don't get the access errors anymore. however, i still can't view tracks in 'list' view, only in album art view. also the screen layout does now get restored during relaunches :D
Reveree

Post by Reveree »

I am in the same boat as Maft.

That boat first being swimming in a deep sea of gratitude for the workaround- like every one of the other frustrated mac converts, I didn't think I was going to survive without media monkey, at least now that Songbird no longer handles ipod support.

Second though, I am having the list / details view issue, wherein it is simply a white screen. I can view my library in album art (useless) or album art with details, which varies from slightly less frustrating to completely useable depending on exactly what I'm doing at the time.

Anyone here have any ideas why one view would be inaccessible while the rest work? When I pull up Details, the entire song list section simply goes white and doesn't try to index my library, but on any of the other views it redraws as I click on them. I dunno. Hopefully more people will find your fix and implement it, and maybe we can then get a fix for this too, because not having the full list view is pretty detrimental for aimless perusing of a library, especially when you are sitting near the 100k mark like mine is.
talc

Post by talc »

thanks for the tut. any luck getting scripts installed? tried just double clicking script installer. hoping to get album art tagger on board but not sure if that will work anyway.
MaFt

Post by MaFt »

i think the script installers are window's exe files...

perhaps you could contact the developer to get a 'plain' version of the script and simply copy/paste it to the relevent folder int he VM? either that or if you have a windows machine, install it to MM on there and copy the script files over.

MaFt
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

In MM3 the installation packages are .mmip files which are just renamed .zip files which contain all the relevant files and some .ini files to tell MM where they need to go. I don't know much about macs, but my guess is that the .mmip file is not associated with MM in the way that it needs to be.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
marlowlu

Post by marlowlu »

@THD fer real thank u!!!! it's exciting making the move away from lame-o itunes

@MaFt i have the same problem. i just pulled the track browser all the way down to cover where the list view should be. meh.
MacMM

What about the MM scripts?

Post by MacMM »

I got MM 3 working on a Macbook as well. I used the simple Wine (open source). Most of the things I need are working so far.Just one script is causing me trouble.

Does anyone have an idea on how to implement the script Magic Nodes into Wine installed MM? Just copying the related files into the virtual windows MM Folder didn't do the trick.

thanks in advance
Peke

Post by Peke »

Open install.ini from MM ip and try to recreate install steps.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MacMM

Post by MacMM »

@Pete

What Prog/tool shall I use to open the install.ini and what do you mean with MM ip. Sorry if the question is to dumb ;)

Thanks