Where is the synch button in MMW5? Thanks

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

nodder64

Where is the synch button in MMW5? Thanks

Post by nodder64 »

A seemingly simple question!

Having spent the last 2 hours (not) getting MMW5 to sync with MMA . . . .I am at the end of my tether and about to chuck both laptop and phone off a high building.

This used to work absolutely seamlessly. Last done about 6 months ago. Now, with no apparent changes to either device . . no connection possible over WiFi. The phone (MMA) and laptop (MMW5) will not see each other. I have trawled all the support articles and followed every instruction I can comprehend. No joy.

OK, so I thought I'll fall back to USB. I have plugged in the cable into both devices. I see that USB sync cannot be initiated from the phone (MMA), so I am now looking for the menu option or button in MMW. No joy. Then I look for an instruction manual, for MMW. Nope.

MMA = 2.0.0.1160
MMW = 5.0.4.2693

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Lowlander

Re: Where is the synch button in MMW5? Thanks

Post by Lowlander »

It's in the Device Profile for your device under Devices & Services.
nodder64

Post by nodder64 »

Thanks very much.

Sadly, now I can see that part of the menu . .the device profile only includes 'internal storage' on the phone, and not the extra SD card, to which I'd previously sync'd.

Just to go back a step (to WiFi sync). Why do the two devices not see each other? Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may need to expand the devices list. Internal and external memory have separate profiles in MMW.
nodder64

Post by nodder64 »

Thanks again.

Just going back to WiFi synch. Both devices are on the same WiFi. Sync worked like a dream a few months ago (with MMW4). Now the laptop (media server) is not even visible to MMA. What am I missing?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Generally it's the Firewall on the PC blocking MediaMonkey: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ccessible/

Do make sure you're not on a guest wi-fi as that will often block devices from seeing each other.
nodder64

Post by nodder64 »

Thanks!

In parallel, I am still chipping away. . . .Possible insight. On the laptop (MMW5), I right clicked on the server name and it gave me the option to auto configure remote access. I did this. It didn't work but after a while, an error message appeared . .

"Remote access to NAME OF SERVER cannot be autoconfigured via UPnP/NAT-PMP
To resolve, enable UpnP/NAT-PMP in your router configuration or manually configure port forwarding on your router and try again
port 2869 to IP address 127.0.0.1"

Does that message provide any clues as to why WiFi sync doesn't even allow server visibility?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's unrelated, it has to do with access outside the local network.
Peke

Post by Peke »

nodder64 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:04 pm Thanks!

In parallel, I am still chipping away. . . .Possible insight. On the laptop (MMW5), I right clicked on the server name and it gave me the option to auto configure remote access. I did this. It didn't work but after a while, an error message appeared . .

"Remote access to NAME OF SERVER cannot be autoconfigured via UPnP/NAT-PMP
To resolve, enable UpnP/NAT-PMP in your router configuration or manually configure port forwarding on your router and try again
port 2869 to IP address 127.0.0.1"

Does that message provide any clues as to why WiFi sync doesn't even allow server visibility?
I agree with Lowlander that is not related to LAN/WLAN(Wireless LAN) but with external access 127.0.0.1 address is PC internal LOOP IP address that is same on all PCs and direct PC to Search open Server port locally within PC (Yo do not need to have any network connected to test 127.0.0.1). As for outside access 99.99% of internet connections from provider are in CGNAT so you either need to pay for Static IP or pay for VPN connection that have Public IP address.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
nodder64

Post by nodder64 »

Thanks both. Useful to eliminate that one.

That still leaves me with zero WiFi connection from MMA to MMW. Thoughts on how to resolve that would be most welcome.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

nodder64 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:59 am That still leaves me with zero WiFi connection from MMA to MMW. Thoughts on how to resolve that would be most welcome.
I have no tech skills re network, it all seems to work for me auto-magically. And my phone has no SD card.

My uninformed thoughts are:
  • open Windows Defender, and temporarily turnoff your firewall ... if that works you will at least know where to be looking, and will able to ask a more targeted question
  • check your MM5 setting here ... Set that setting, and then close & reopen MM5. AFAIK that should auto-configure access for you
nodder64 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:19 pm Sadly, now I can see that part of the menu . .the device profile only includes 'internal storage' on the phone, and not the extra SD card, to which I'd previously sync'd.
  • you were able to sync to your phone's internal storage via USB cable sync? If so you should investigate LowLander’s suggestion.
Lowlander wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:27 pm You may need to expand the devices list. Internal and external memory have separate profiles in MMW.
I presume that he means the device list at the Devices&Services menu ... Click ShowAll, and then roll down looking for your SD card.
That may allow you to USB sync to your SD card ... IMO USB sync is faster than WiFi sync anyway

BTW you are being very patient. It sucks that there is no easily accessible QuickStart info to get you going.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
nodder64

Post by nodder64 »

Dear All

Thanks for the help so far. I've left it for a week - simply too busy with other stuff. And I have now started again with the help instructions . . .Those instructions, along with detailed results, are below. . .

Verify that the server is running and configured correctly:

1. In MMW, click Tools > Options > Media Sharing, and verify that a server is enabled and running. If it isn’t, enable it. DONE. ENABLED.

2. Double click the server (it’ll be named something like ‘MediaMonkey Library’), and make sure that the IP address/MAC address of the client is checked off in the ‘Enabled’ column.

2A Done. It has a tick mark in the 'enabled' box. It is also listed as 'running' (far right-hand column, titled 'Status').

2B At this stage - all in MMW5 - the 'Media Monkey Library' has an IP address of 192.168.0.203:21527, is 'Enabled' and is 'Running'

2C When running the sync wizard on MMA (phone), this server is BRIEFLY also visible on the Android phone, listing the above IP address - 'http://192.168.0.203:21527/DeviceDescription.xml' and returning an error message 'saved media server is inaccessible'. After a few seconds, this message disappears, and is replaced by 'no sync server selected'

2D Back on the PC (MMW5), going through the menu sequence . . tools > Options > Media sharing (MediaMonkey Library) > Server (tab). This leads to . . .
  • Server name = MediaMonkey Library
    Port = 21527 (identical to above)
    Options to switch between 'auto' and '192.168.0.203' as the IP address (both give the same results - below)
    A QR code
    And a button to 'check'.
Clicking the 'check' button pops open my internet browser and (eventually) returns this error message . .
The connection has timed out. The server at 192.168.0.203 is taking too long to respond.

3. I am running AVG Firewall, which appears to have exceptions for MMW5.

So . . .I hope that level of detail helps and greatly welcome any thoughts as to possible solutions.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's likely that the Firewall is blocking MediaMonkey. If you feel comfortable doing this, you can temporarily disable (remember to turn it back on) the firewall and try again (you can disconnect from the internet during this time if you want to be safe).
nodder64

Post by nodder64 »

Thanks very much. That worked, but introduced a new problem.

I disconnected my router from the internet, then switched off the firewalls (AVG and Windows), then sync'ed.

It worked. But . .
a) It takes weeks. Even over WiFi, it took 8 hours to do about 30% of 6000 tracks.
b) WORSE. It seems as if almost every track has now been duplicated on my MMA phone !!

I may be able to cope with the chore of completing the sync'ing, but how can I quickly get rid of the thousands of duplicate tracks on my phone? Thanks in advance.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you doing Auto-Conversion? It can slow down Sync.

You can Sync with all media files as Delete option, it should remove duplicates on Sync.