Shifting to a New PC, Playlist & Stats Issues

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Philsb86

Shifting to a New PC, Playlist & Stats Issues

Post by Philsb86 »

Hello,

Let me keep this high-level. I recently purchased a new PC and installed MMW5 (Gold) on it (and registered it fine). I copied over all my music files (same folder structure). I've started to set up my layout and columns the way I like it, but playlists are either completely blank (I exported to m3u) or work 100% fine. Weird, right? The ID3 tags all look great, but there's no play history to speak of.

Maybe I jumped the gun here and should back the truck up a bit. What is the recommended methodology to bring over all my playlists and number of times tracks were listened to/last listened to? I've read about some kind of "database" file, but most of those posts were quite old and I don't want to do something that's going to force me to start from scratch (though maybe I already have messed this up?). I still have access to the "old" PC, so it's not a problem to hop on it and export whatever needs exporting.

Thanks!
Rob_S

Re: Shifting to a New PC, Playlist & Stats Issues

Post by Rob_S »

Indeed you can locate and copy over the database from your old computer to the new.

Usually located at ""C:\Users\..username..\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\MM5.DB"

Then before any scanning takes place, you need to follow the procedure to update the drive ID for your new computer, and if indeed all of the tracks are there in the same relative locations it will populate all the playlists and bring forward all the playcounts etc.

Lots of posts covering that - ie

viewtopic.php?p=511076#p511076
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

qq3480750

Post by qq3480750 »

I'm having trouble with this too. I have all my music files on an external hard drive and I want to use MM5G on a brand new laptop. I was able to install MM5G and import all the music (even though the drive name changed from D: to F:) but then I realized that all the metadata (play counts and last played) was missing.

I found the MM5.db file on my old laptop and I've been looking at all the forum posts and instructions but I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with it. "Copying your database" on https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer says to put it in an appropriate location, but where? The place where it was stored on my old computer (C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5) does not exist on the new one.

I don't mind if it turns I have to remove and rescan all the files, but even if I do where does MM5.db go?

Thank you for your help.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
When you install latest debug version from viewtopic.php?t=86639&sd=d

then you can load DBGView then in first few lines of DBGView you will get MM5.DB path
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It links to: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/ for database location.
qq3480750

Post by qq3480750 »

@Peke: thanks for the help, but I'm beginning to wonder if it would just be easier until the non-debug version of MM 5.1 appears, since this looks a little over my head.

@lowlander: I did see that link already, but I'm not sure what to do because I don't see MM5.db anywhere on my new computer, and I don't have MM5 installed in the User/AppData folder.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you run MediaMonkey on the new PC yet? If so did you enable viewing of hidden files in File Explorer?
Peke

Post by Peke »

qq3480750 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:03 am @lowlander: I did see that link already, but I'm not sure what to do because I don't see MM5.db anywhere on my new computer, and I don't have MM5 installed in the User/AppData folder.
if you copy/paste "%APPDATA%\MediaMonkey5\" to File explorer address bar it should set current folder to one with MM5.DB
qq3480750 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:03 am @Peke: thanks for the help, but I'm beginning to wonder if it would just be easier until the non-debug version of MM 5.1 appears, since this looks a little over my head.
If you closely follow instructions step by step it should be easy and you should not need to understand what DBGview list just locate line where full path to MM5.DB is listed. After that you can close DBGView
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Don't miss this - easiest way to locate the MM5 Data folder
...Copy/paste "%APPDATA%\MediaMonkey5\" to File explorer address bar it should set current folder to one with MM5.DB
Also, in reply to your comment:
and I don't have MM5 installed in the User/AppData folder.
The installation folder and the data folder are in different locations unless you installed "portable". Your installation folder in Windows is usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey 5" but regardless where you install it, the data folder is found as above.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Philsb86

Post by Philsb86 »

Great conversation and help here everyone. Much appreciated. Because I had let MM5 rescan the "new" library on my new PC, I had to delete the "library" (not files). Then I went ahead and copied over the old database file to the new PC, edited the drive media properties and it was like I was still on my old PC. Couple mild changes to sub-collection, but that took maybe 10 minutes. Thanks again