MediaMonkey 5 doesn't sync updated files [#14676]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

nanite2000

MediaMonkey 5 doesn't sync updated files [#14676]

Post by nanite2000 »

I am using MediaMonkey 5.0.3.2627 on Windows 11 and syncing to an iPhone 13 running iOS 15.6.1.

MM5 doesn't appear to sync updated files when they already exist on the device. Sync works correctly after modifying ID3 tags, but changing the actual file itself does not trigger a sync.

So, for example, let's say I have a music file that didn't download properly, resulting in the last few seconds being cut off, and I sync the faulty file to my iPhone using MM5. I then notice the issue and download a fresh copy of the file, overwriting the original. I give the new file the same name and the same ID3 tags but the MM5 database still recognises this change and updates the 'Timestamp' flag for this file accordingly.

Nevertheless, no matter how many times I then sync my iPhone the original faulty file remains on the iPhone instead of being replaced with the new file.

The only way I could force it to update was to delete the file from my iPhone through 'Music' on the device and then perform a fresh sync via MM5.

Is this intentional behaviour? Is there a way to force MM5 to properly respect the 'Timestamp' flag to sync files to the device when the source file has been updated?

Thanks!
Ludek

Re: MediaMonkey 5 doesn't sync updated files

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I can confirm that auto-sync just updates metadata for the already uploaded files.

Nevertheless right-click the file > Send to > iPhone should do the trick to overwrite the actual file on the device.
Can you confirm?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I posted about this issue once previously as well, and in my case it was an android device.

I think this is a major fault if still true, especially if I depend on embedded tags, and after sync thus I do not benefit from these updated tags on my device.

If this was done for speed, could there not be at least an option to update all tracks with newer dates?
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Rob_S wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:42 pm I think this is a major fault if still true, especially if I depend on embedded tags, and after sync thus I do not benefit from these updated tags on my device.
iPhone won't show you embedded tags (AFAIK), it relies on metadata sent by MM5 during sync.
Unless you are using a third party app on iOS that can read the embedded tags?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I had meanwhile modified my post to indicate this was on android device.

As to your solution of using send-to, at time of Sync, it is hard to remember which tracks may have been updated, or possibly even I may have aquired a higher quality version and overwritten the previous.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, this issue is already tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14676
I am changing the target from 5.2 back to 5.1 and assigned for wording suggestions...
nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

Ludek wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:27 pm Hi, I can confirm that auto-sync just updates metadata for the already uploaded files.

Nevertheless right-click the file > Send to > iPhone should do the trick to overwrite the actual file on the device.
Can you confirm?
Yep - 'Send to > iPhone' forces an overwrite. This should be sufficient for my needs until the fix in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14676 is added to 5.1.

Thanks!
Kilo

Re: MediaMonkey 5 doesn't sync updated files [#14676]

Post by Kilo »

I see this was added in 2823. I will definitely be using this moving forward as I encounter this scenario when I either replace my source file with a higher quality version (128/256kbps -> 320kbps) or replace the source file with a different cut (radio cut -> full cut). It was a manual process in updating the file with deleting the old file and resyncing, but now the sync will get it. Thank you for implementing this as it was a much needed feature IMO.