Volume Analyze

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Plethora

Volume Analyze

Post by Plethora »

First I want to say that the 2.2 v is great! Keep up the good work!!

My question is directed at the volume leveling functions in MM.

If I am reading the help file correct the leveling coefficient is stored in the tag and has no effect on the audio fidelity. But I also understand that you cannot undo this modification to the tag (although you can turn it off in MM)...
If I select my files and the "analysis only occurs when no coefficient exists" is off, will files that had previously been edited be changed to new settings of analysis?
- Plethora
- 160 GB and Counting!!!
rusty

volume leveling

Post by rusty »

Plethora,

You can't manually edit the volume leveling co-efficient in 2.2. We hope to change this in a future version.

And yes--by disabling the 'only if not analyzed' option ALL selected files will be re-analyzed.

-Rusty
Plethora

Baseline Level

Post by Plethora »

Thnx for quick reply...

So you cannot manually edit each tracks "volume level co-efficient". Which is cool cause that would mess with every track having the same "baseline volume level". So if I'm understanding this correctly then each track has it's own co-efficient that makes that track have the same db level as the "baseline volume level" that I set in the options menu.

Is this somewhat correct?

THnx 4 ur Time
- Plethora
- 160 GB and Counting!!!
rusty

volume leveling questions

Post by rusty »

Not exactly:

-The baseline figure determines:
a) how the values in the 'leveling' column are displayed--it doesn't affect what's actually stored in the tags because the volume leveling coefficients calculated during volume analysis are always vs. 83db
b) to what level tracks are adjusted when you use the 'Level Track Volume' command

Note: in general, the only reason you'd want to 'Level Track Volume' is if you're using another player that doesn't support Replay Gain tags that are generated by MediaMonkey.

reference: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/n ... ration.htm

-Rusty
Plethora

Baseline, Volume Leveling, and Analyze Playback, OH MY!

Post by Plethora »

Ok let me try again...

There are Two(2) ways of leveling volume. (I now can read this, :oops: )

The first one is a tag modification that can be over written..
For use in just MM

The Second is a more permanent modification
For use in any player

How do I use the first method? Can you point me to a link cause I get confused at this site
http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/n ... veling.htm

thnx for your time
- Plethora
- 160 GB and Counting!!!
rusty

Volume leveling

Post by rusty »

On the link that you just sent, the section entitled 'Level Playback Volume' is what you're looking for. Just make sure that in the config panel, 'level playback volume' is enabled, and that you've set the playback volume to a level that is right for you.

-Rusty
Plethora

Thanks

Post by Plethora »

Thanks

- Plethora
- Plethora
- 160 GB and Counting!!!
Plethora

scared

Post by Plethora »

:o

I just want to make sure before I permanently change anything...

So out of the 2 methods this is the non permanent one? (doesn't effect the source of the mp3 file)

1. Select all of your Tracks and click Tools > Analyze Volume.
2. From the Play menu, click Level Playback Volume.

I can leave the "Baseline Volume Level" in the
Tools > Options > Player > Volume Leveling.
at 83db.

And if I want to change the "Target Volume Level for Player",
this will adjust the level of all the tracks as they are played through the MM player. If I play the tracks in another player, the leveling will not be recognized.

Is this correct?

Thanks for your time...
- Plethora
- 160 GB and Counting!!!
rusty

volume leveling

Post by rusty »

You got it right.

My only added comment is that some other players will recognize the 'replay gain' tags that are saved. I haven't done research to determine which ones will and which won't. (I'm not aware of any portable players that support these 'replay gain' tags).

-Rusty
Plethora

Right

Post by Plethora »

ok thanks for your help on that one

I think I'll try it out here shortly

Last time I did a bulk change was when I renamed all 10,765 files from the tags.

It worked but it took a min or two.

Now that MM is way faster do to the new version I wonder how long this process will take. I'll let ya know. Now the # is 12,224 files = 109 GB.
That's like 34 (24hour) days!

-thnks
- Plethora
- 160 GB and Counting!!!
Plethora

Post by Plethora »

for those who might need this info

Took about 16 hours with a R.A.I.D. configuration on a dual Pent 1.2ghz
512mb Ram
12224 files, 109.2 Gb, 320Kbt mp3
- Plethora
- 160 GB and Counting!!!
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

man it took me that long on my pent 2 for 1500 songs. with 225 mbs of ram and not a raid system.

wow what a differance that is. :o
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.