Moving Library to Synology NAS

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

BarrowWight

Moving Library to Synology NAS

Post by BarrowWight »

I am hoping this is a simple operation but so far have been unable to find how to do this.
I have MM4 installed on a desktop Windows PC and a Windows laptop.
My music files are all stored on a mapped folder on my Synology NAS.
It seems that both have their own database files (MM.DB) stored in their respective locations:
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey.
I assume that the Library and other data are stored here.
Is there a way to move this data to my NAS so that I can access the same data form the PC and the laptop?
Lowlander

Re: Moving Library to Synology NAS

Post by Lowlander »

As NAS connections are much slower than internal drive I don't recommended it, it's also not really designed for two instances accessing the database at the same time, but it can be done: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... vironment/
MightyPG

Post by MightyPG »

Hi! I'm sort of in the same boat as you (MM5 here, though).

One thing: have you set up the Media Server package on your Synology? I recommend doing that before you set up your music library, because then you can connect to the your synology as a media server rather than as a network drive.

Here's what I've been able to do (again, I'm using MM5 so I don't know if this will work in 4)--1) set up the synology drive in the music library. 2) using the file tree, cut-and-paste your music library into the /music directory on your media server 3) use the add/rescan library--it didn't duplicate, it seemed to realize that artist/album/track.flac went from d:\artist\album\track to \\nas\music\artist\album\track.flac. OBVIOUSLY, you want to start with only a few tracks to make sure it works right,, but it even updated my playlists etc.

(I actually DO have a related question about media servers for MM Android but I'll take it to that forum) :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can only stream media files from a Media Server, there is no editing of files whatsoever.