Does MM5 modify mp3 files after a play?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

muralin

Does MM5 modify mp3 files after a play?

Post by muralin »

I sync select tracks from my library to my iphone. I also backup/sync my music files once to the cloud every 2 weeks. I notice that it uploads/syncs songs to the cloud that I have played on my iphone. This implies, MM5 modifies mp3 files that are listened. Only thing I can think of is that may be it keeps track of play count in the mp3 file itself.

Is there a way for MM5 not to change the mp3 file? Thanks in advance.

murali
Lowlander

Re: Does MM5 modify mp3 files after a play?

Post by Lowlander »

Play History is not saved in the file, however Lyrics and Artwork can be modified during playback.

Is the Last Modified equal to the Sync time and which Build (Help > About) are you using to Sync?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

FYI, I also back up my files based on date modified, and I have found generally MM does not modify files while playing.

As per Lowlander, if you have done a lookup for new artwork or lyrics that might affect it.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
muralin

Post by muralin »

here is an update.
Version: v5.0.4.2693

Steps:
1. Sync (backup) the media files (mp3). No videos in my library.
2. Sync to iphone12.
3. Play 5 songs on my iphone.
4. Sync to iphone (repeat step 2)
5. Repeat Step1. This time, 5 files (ones I played on my iphone) gets overwritten in the target drive.

Murali
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

So from your steps above, is almost sounds like the "Sync to Iphone" step is what increments the file modified date???

Could you use file explorer to check the file date modified on the source computer after each of the steps above, in particular, after "Played" and after "Sync"??

Also confirm if you have any "Background lookup" or in particular "tag Updates" enabled under options, library, metadata lookup at the top of the dialog???
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please try the same with the latest MediaMonkey 5.1 beta. Do played files still get updated on Sync?
muralin

Post by muralin »

Updated to 5.1.0.2829.
Windows 11

The issue still remains. After I play a song on my iphone and do a sync, the file does get changed as when I backup my music, that is the only file that gets updated in the destination. What is fascinating is that the modified date and created date of the file is unchanged after the iphone sync. Lokks like the sync does change the file but the dates associated with the file are unaffected. Weird.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did 5.0.4 modify the dates on the file, whereas 5.1 doesn't? Is file size changed with 5.1, how does the Cloud Backup evaluate that files need to be backed up?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Sounds like https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19423 that has been already fixed in 5.1
muralin

Post by muralin »

Rob_S wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:13 pm So from your steps above, is almost sounds like the "Sync to Iphone" step is what increments the file modified date???

Could you use file explorer to check the file date modified on the source computer after each of the steps above, in particular, after "Played" and after "Sync"??

Also confirm if you have any "Background lookup" or in particular "tag Updates" enabled under options, library, metadata lookup at the top of the dialog???
I unchecked everything in "Background lookup" and now it works fine. Thanks @Rob-S for your wisdom & guidance.

Murali
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

muralin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:25 pm I unchecked everything in "Background lookup" and now it works fine. Thanks @Rob-S for your wisdom & guidance.

Murali
So you were also viewing the affected files in his MM5 library and this triggered the background metadata lookup?

But I guess you must also enable the checkbox '[x] Update tags' that I believe is disabled by default for background lookups?
muralin

Post by muralin »

Update tag was always unchecked. I only unchecked Artist Images & Artwork under "background Metadata Lookup" and Artwork under Audio.