Moving from location C: drive to External D: drive

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Shakadula5153

Moving from location C: drive to External D: drive

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Moving from location C: drive to External D: drive. I found the ini (config file) on users\appdata\roaming directory and added the DBName=D:\Music Source\MM5.DB but it did not work. Music Source is the directory on my external disc (D:). All of my music is currently in C:\Music Source. Should I say D:\MM5.DB in the ini file?

I even copied the MM5 DB from the C: media monkey directory to the D drive but no help there. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I thought I folowed the directions on the Help Db but no Deal
Last edited by Shakadula5153 on Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenovo Laptop:
12th Gen i5 Intel processor
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

* Primary Apps: MediaMonkey 5 (not GOLD yet).
Lowlander

Re: Moving from location C: drive to External D: drive

Post by Lowlander »

Did you move the actual database file (mm5.db) to the D drive, or are you just trying to move your media files to D?
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

I did both. Does the MM5.db go in the root dir on D: or in a Media Monkey dir on D; ???

Right now my source music files are in D:\Music Source. WAs in C:\Music Source.

Ideally I would like to just change the location of my music directiry from C:\Music Source to D:\Music Source while also keeping my Playlists in synch.

Thanks for responding to quick
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Database file can go anywhere. DBName is what points to it. Make sure it's right under [System] in the ini and that there is only one [System] line in the ini.

Once you have the db figured out you can re-assign drive in MediaMonkey to point to the D drive instead (as Path on drive is unchanged). Playlists in MediaMonkey will also update.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Shakadula5153 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:37 pm Ideally I would like to just change the location of my music directiry from C:\Music Source to D:\Music Source while also keeping my Playlists in synch.
In MM5 it is easy. Move All files to D:\Music -> in Files -> Manage Database Backup current library (just in case). Make sure D:\ is not scanned and if it is delete it, then Enable Tools -> Options -> Library -> Collections -> Entire Library and finally Expand Entire library -> Locations right click on C: -> Media properties -> Select D: drive -> OK and try to play any track from any playlist. They should play, and if they play then you are done.

Also I would consider using MM as portable (even it is installed on C:) because that way you can easily copy Portable folder to Any PC and keep all your playlists, stats when you connect external HDD (MM do not care about Drive letter as each HDD partition have unique Serial number).

If I confused you more than helped you feel free to ask and we should help you.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Thank You Peke. I will start over as I tried to use auto organize but it takes hours and all I want to do is change the path from

C:\music source to D:\music source. I still have my C:\music source intact and backed up so I should be good.

Once again, a very detailed solution.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Peke, Do I need GOLD? I see Collections but not location Nothing to right click on.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

One more thing…….. messed up my mm5.db. Is there a way to copy tracks from my iPhone back to my mm5.db? This would be a big help to me.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »