Casting to HEOS Systems

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

mahimike

Can I stream from MM to Denon Heos 7 speaker?

Post by mahimike »

I have a HEOS system with 9 devices, 6 are wired, 3 are wireless. I use my HEOS 7 as the main device and group the others to it. I have finally been able to stream my MMW from my PC to my HEOS 7. It requires a little back and forth: 1) Before starting MMW, I have to make sure all my devices are connected using the HEOS app, 2) volume has to be adjusted thru the HEOS app, 3) I seem to have more problems when both are connected at the same time so I try to get all the connections complete in HEOS & adjust volume, close it and then launch MMW. 4) If the volume needs adjusting, I quickly open HEOS app, adjust and shut it back down after making adjustments. 5) My biggest current issue is that the previously played song repeats itself for a few seconds and then the new song starts. I am going to create a dedicated post on this. I suspect it has something to do with the HEOS cache for synchronization among devices, but I am guessing with limited knowledge.
mahimike

Casting to HEOS Systems

Post by mahimike »

Using MMW5 (5.0.4.2690): I have a HEOS system with 9 devices, 6 are wired, 3 are wireless. I use my HEOS 7 as the main device and group the others to it using the HEOS app. I have finally been able to stream my MMW from my PC to my HEOS 7. I use the HEOS 7 as my master & group the others to it and that synchronizes pretty well. I believe the HEOS app & MMW fight each other for control of the system when both are enabled. This is based on the observation that I cannot cast to HEOS if the HEOS app is controlling the 7. Therefore, before starting MMW, I have to make sure all my devices are connected/grouped to the 7 using the HEOS app. Then I adjust the volume in the HEOS app. Next, I close the app and launch MMW. It normally connects well but sometimes I have to restart MMW. If the volume needs adjusting, I cannot use MMW. I have to quickly open HEOS app, adjust the group or individual device volume and shut the app back down after making adjustments. My biggest current issue is that the previously played song repeats itself for a few seconds and then the new song starts. I have tried lots of adjustments in the playing options but I get no repeatable result. Sometimes, the previous song does not play for a few seconds. When the old song restarts, the progress bar shows such. When the current song starts, the progress bar progresses and then restarts at the beginning, but the volume sounds fine (only plays once. I suspect it has something to do with the HEOS cache for synchronization among devices, but I am guessing with limited knowledge. I like casting MMW since it has more features than the using the HEOS app to pull from either the MMW server or my NAS. Skipping to the next file seems to eliminate the playing of the old song for a few seconds. Any ideas?
Peke

Re: Casting to HEOS Systems

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As you are already tested many things, even found workaround for you, may I suggest that you try latest MM 5.1 Beta (Install as portable if you want to do a quick separate test) and see if changes we made there fixes your issues or at least some of them because we can't test due the lack of HEOS devices?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
mahimike

Post by mahimike »

I am willing to try this but don't know where to start. I have a Lifetime Gold. Where do I get the Beta? Does it replace my existing version or is it an alternative app on my PC? Will they both look at the same inventory of songs? Any suggestions to get me started.
Thank you-Mike
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Easiest is to simply install the beta over your existing. Get it here:

viewtopic.php?p=511822#p511822

It will not affect your track listing database or gold subscription at all, just give you whatever bugfixes and features they have added.

If you find any issues, you can always reinstall the original back over the new.

As mentioned above, you can also install the beta as portable, and copy in your existing database, thus run both at the same time. That way, changes made in the one should not affect the other.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
mahimike

Post by mahimike »

I installed the debug version and selected the portable installation. It took me a little while to figure out what I did, but I think I have it... I have installed the portable in c:\MediaMonkey5. I launched it and it appears to be working:
1) I don't get the previous song to start again for a few seconds once it is complete.
2) It appears the interface with the HEOS app is not conflicting. It takes a few seconds for the HEOS app to move from its last connection to seeing what MMW is playing.
3) jump ahead seems to be problematic.

I will monitor and provide more feedback if needed. I can also offer to help with HEOS issues with my limited knowledge. I am always interested in learning more.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If that is limited knowledge then I have no knowledge of HEOS (Which is true 90%).

I said multiple times that problem is to figure out differences MM5 and MMA so that workarounds to MM5 we can implement in MMA.

Thanks for all the effort, I know many will appreciate it.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
mahimike

Post by mahimike »

LOL- I did have great success the first time I started MMW 5 Debug build. Everything worked like a champ but I only ran it for a few songs. The next day I had a problem with the song not advancing...it just kept repeating even though I had a large list in the play queue and the 'repeat all' set. I tried several things: restarting, rebooting, clearing the queue and replacing it, turning off the 'repeat all', toggling the 'single play'. I even removed it from the playing list and it keeps playing?? I can advance a song manually but the next song keeps repeating. I can play locally and the problem goes away. I tried casting to a single HEOS device not a group and it repeated. The second time I tried that, I got "Task queue deadlock detected". I sent the log file per the instructions. 0AF10000. Still seems like a MMW5 debug issue since MMW5 works fine except for the issue of the old song repeating itself for a few seconds before the new song starts.

Question: is there a place where I should note issues or successes? How do I contribute to the Debug improvement and if that is possible, where might I learn more about the process to help/use MMW Debug?
mahimike

Post by mahimike »

MMW5 seems to be working better with my HEOS. I set up all of my 9 speakers in advance in HEOS, then shut it down. Wait a few seconds, launch MMW5. I select the one HEOS speaker into which the other HEOS speakers have been grouped. In playback rules, I have fade out at 2.5s & 9s gap. Occasionally, I still get the beginning of the just ended song to play for a second or two before the new song starts. I have yet to determine what drives that overlap. I can then turn on and leave HEOS on and all seems to work. If I need to adjust volume, I do it with the HEOS app. The MMW5 volume adjustment only affects the first HEOS speaker into which the other speakers have been grouped, unbalancing my playback volume among my speakers. I will keep experimenting on the HEOS-MMW5 interface.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
if you are testing the newest build 5.1.0.2813 and still seeing the issue then feel free to catch this in debug log and attach to eSupport ticket to analyze (see item 4b here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 ) with detailed description of the problem/issue
mahimike

Post by mahimike »

Ticket #6291: "HEOS Plays Part of Previous Song before new song" has been successfully submitted and email confirmation sent to m***********e@gmail.com.

Hope I got it right, following your instructions.

Mike
mahimike

Post by mahimike »

Version 2825 seems to have solved it. Sometimes, it does not advance properly, but if I go to the HEOS app and play with its advance, I have been able to unstick MMW5.
Thanks to Ludek for helping.