Shuffle not working as it used to [#18988]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

rusty

Re: Shuffle not working as it used to [#18988]

Post by rusty »

Here's a summary of implementation bugs / design changes that we're working on:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 988#c72554

-Rusty
fraserp

Shuffle not working (as expected) on 5.1.0.2811

Post by fraserp »

Hi folks
Recently installed V5.1.0.2811 which appears to have fixed the issue I had with playing to google (chromecast) devices :)

I am quite confused about the "shuffle" in this version though. When selecting a playlist using "Play Shuffled" --> "Play now" it appears the playlist is shuffled with play starting at the top and then works sequentially down from the top. If I then sort the list (for example) by artist it continues to play sequentially after the sort. This occurs even if I have the "Shuffle" toggle turned on. It is like it is now ignoring the shuffle toggle completely.

If I then turn the shuffle off and back on it appears to do a re-shuffle of the list then plays sequentially from that point. So I am guessing that the shuffle process has changed? BUT, it doesn't seem to make sense that the list is playing sequentially when the shuffle toggle is turned on (and its playing sequentially down the list). Hope that makes sense.

Regards
Fraser
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

The idea is that whatever order you sort or shuffle your list is what it plays. You can sort or shuffle it manually as well, and you can start from whatever point in the list you want, what you see next is what will play next.

Many of us see this as a big improvement to the old system where you could not tell what was coming next, what had played already and forward back would work in most unpredictable ways.

The next big improvement we need is to be able to save our current list as a "Queue" where it will remember where we were at in each of say last 10 queues. That way we can play a different playlist in between, or play the results of a search, and return to where we left off in the previous list. :)
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
For Start there will be number of changes in 2812 regarding shuffle, please test with that version. I can't wait to see how things will do.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
fraserp

Post by fraserp »

Thanks Rob and Peke
So, the "Shuffle button" will now become a manual shuffle (or re-shuffle) button rather than an indicator that "shuffle is on" (as in previous versions). I agree with the approach :) as it does mean you can easily see what has played recently and what is coming up.

Regards
Fraser
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I would more call it "Predictive Shuffle" where unlike before you can see how MM will shuffle rest of your listening experience and you can adjust if needed (eg. sometimes it will put together two tracks that you hate to listen together, ...), Auto DJ would work more reliably and so on.

I personally like when I turn shuffle I do not know which track will MM choose, but both have its benefits and tend to lean to new approach more and more.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
mattl1979

Post by mattl1979 »

Peke wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:05 pm Hi,
For Start there will be number of changes in 2812 regarding shuffle, please test with that version. I can't wait to see how things will do.
Version doesn't appear available yet. Only 2811.
rusty

Post by rusty »

2813 is available. and most shuffle-related issues have been resolved. Let us know what you think. Thanks!

-Rusty