UpdateLocationOfFiles function in MMV5

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

pokeefe0001

UpdateLocationOfFiles function in MMV5

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Last August I asked if old UpdateLocationOfFiles script was going to be ported to MMW5 and was told its function was built into MMW5 in the Manually_Re-assign_Drive function:
viewtopic.php?p=485571&hilit=UpdateLoca ... es#p485571
and
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive

Today I finally tried it and discovered the MMW5 Manually_Re-assign_Drive implements just a very small amount of the UpdateLocationOfFiles function. As near as I can see, all it can do (surprise, surprise) is re-assign the drive. It seems to have no ability to change any other path data. For me this is a show stopper.

My typical use of UpdateLocationOfFiles - done about once a month on typically 6 copies of MediaMonkey - starts with
(which MMW5 handles) but which I change to
UpdateLocationOfFiles then changes the drive and the path data in the track records.

Without the ability to change the path data we will not be able to use MMW5. Is this facility hidden in some other function?
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Multiple Win7 x32, unknown builds
Lowlander

Re: UpdateLocationOfFiles function in MMV5

Post by Lowlander »

Locate Moved/Missing Files can be used if the Path changed.
pokeefe0001

Re: UpdateLocationOfFiles function in MMV5

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:45 pm Locate Moved/Missing Files can be used if the Path changed.
I can't test the whole function since it seems to be available only to Gold users (and I'm not ready to become one because I'm not convinced MMV5 is even usable for me). I can't use the free Edit Dead Links function because my old and new paths would both be available.

I need this function as part of a cloning process - cloning a library and database from a local drive to a USB flash drive. I need to change the flash drive's database to point to the music library on the flash drive - different drive and different path. The only way the links in the cloned database would be broken would be if I moved to a different computer after cloning the database

Update:
It looks we would be unable to use a Gold license - even if it gives us the function we need - without radically changing our configuration. A Gold license allows for 3 PC implementations or 2 PCs and one USB copy. For MMV4 we have almost 12 portable implementations of MM ... even though only one is used at a time and 3 are for various aspects of maintenance. All use cloned copies of a single "master" database. We could probably reduce the configuration down to 4 copies - one on a PC and 3 on USB flash drives, but it sounds like that would still require at least 3 licenses (since each supports only one USB copy). And we would have problems cloning the database ... unless there is a way to copy between separately licensed Gold MMs.

I don't mind paying for multiple licenses - I should probably donate something even if we don't go Gold - but it looks like I'll be paying for less function in Gold MMW5 than we had in free MMW4. Yes, there are a number of features in Gold, but none (that I've seen) that we would ever use.

This is frustrating. It looks like we will definitely be hobbled by moving from MMW4 to MMW5.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Multiple Win7 x32, unknown builds