External exception/Runtime Error

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Unsunghero

External exception/Runtime Error

Post by Unsunghero »

MM has been working perfect and suddenly today when I open the program I am greeted with an error box that says 'External exception C0000006', the player itself loads but the skin has gone funny and the toolbar at the bottom where I have the play, skip, stop controls is gone, it is just a big white space.

I think this is a problem with my computer rather than MM to be honest, as the reason I was opening it today was to make sure it was all backed up as my computer seems to be on its last legs and I didn't want to lose anything. Yesterday my computer crashed and was stuck in a re-boot where the fans would start for a few seconds and it would turn off and try again. The only way to get it working was to switch the RAM from one slot to another.

My music is on a NAS box, so I am not worried about losing music.

My question is, if I back up everthing database wise, could this cause any problems? If I back it all up and move to a new computer, should the backup be ok and working? I have done the backup before and have the link for how to do it correct, I just wanted to know if people think this is a computer issue and not MM.

Thanks in advance
Lowlander

Re: External exception/Runtime Error

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, backup the database file and on the new install/new PC you may need to adjust the driveID: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer
Unsunghero

Post by Unsunghero »

So it won't cause any problems that MM isn't currently working properly? The backup isn't going to then have the version on the new computer not work properly?

Could you also explain why I need to change the drive ID? I'm not great with computers but surely because as I said my music is saved on a NAS drive I won't need to change the drive ID? Or does the drive ID the MM installation is installed on need changing?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's unknown where the problem lies, it may affect the database or not. If the database turns out to cause problems you can just remove it, but then you'd have to start fresh.

It depends on how you access the files on the NAS if you need to change the driveID. If you use a Mapped Drive you will, if you access it through the UNC Path (\\NASNAME\folder\) then you won't.
Unsunghero

Post by Unsunghero »

On the link you provided:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer

Under the copying your database section, there is a link to show where to go to backup the database, this link no longer works:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... le/View/16

The above link just goes to a page telling you about MM now. Where do I find the database to backup? Is there a new working link for this.

Thanks
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

The simplest thing to do is do a search of the drive you installed MM on. Look for MM.DB
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Unsunghero

Post by Unsunghero »

I have tried that and it just brings up a MM folder that is completely empty.

I do also have it set to show all hidden folders, so it's not that it's hidden.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Knowledge Base is still offline, so those links don't work ATM.

Include hidden files in the search. You may find it here: c:\Users\<Windows User>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MM.DB