Playlist based on what is on MP3 player

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

alin_derom

Playlist based on what is on MP3 player

Post by alin_derom »

Hi, It is easy to make a playlist of the songs you have on the computer and synchronize them onto your MP3 player. But what if you would like to make a playlist of what is ON the MP3 player (independend of what is in your library/computer) How do you do this?
Reason : I put music based on certain auto-playlist criteria on the MP3 (for instance "country" and "1970") . While listening to the MP3 I decide that some songs don't belong there (because they are of 1960) and erase them from the MP3. The next time I connect the MP3 player I would like to be able to make a playlist that shows what is on the "country"-"1970" playlist, but not on the MP3. SO it will show me a list of all songs that I have deleted from the MP3. My big problem is making a playlist of the content of the MP3. Under the advanced option MEDIA (of auto-playlist) I can find all media that have once been connected to the computer, but not my MP3 player.
Any suggesteion?
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved to Wishlist forum
Lowlander

Re: Playlist based on what is on MP3 player

Post by Lowlander »

I don't think you can create Playlists in MediaMonkey for what's on the MP3 Player. Unless you have to deal with a lot of files you could see if you can add the wrong files to a new Playlist on the device itself. Then use that new Playlist to see which files in MM require updating (manual compare).
alin_derom

Post by alin_derom »

Thanks for tip, but with 16GB on my MP3 I don't think it's an option. I'll wait and see if anybody had a solution, otherwise it could be a nice future feature.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Treat mp3 player as another drive.

Go to mm's file menu and click on file add/ rescan, then on the panel browse to it in the my computer section of mm's.directory tree, and select the folder for all your songs on the mp3 player and let mm scan them in to his library, then use mm's location node and select the mp3 player the select all.
Now go to file menu and select create playlist export to m3u. Now you can do same in mm for all accessible songs play list export that to m3u, and now you have twofiles you can use in program that checks files to see what is the same in each to make sure they are duplicates.
Or print one out and use the old hold one and read it while some one else reads the list on the computer and compairs them that way.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Even if you could you'd still be stuck in the same boat as you'd have a Playlist of files on the device (16GB) and need to compare that with a Playlist of files on your PC. Adding files to a new playlist on the device would make for an easier compare as it would have a couple files (unless you're saying 16GB of files is tagged wrong).
alin_derom

Post by alin_derom »

Hi Lowlander, I think it will be easier as you think.
Suppose you can make a auto-playlist of all songs that actually are on your MP3-player, call this "MP3LIST".
Suppose the MP3 was originally filled with playlist "MUSIC_I_LIKE".
Then you could make an auto-playlist "WHATS_NOT_ON_MP3" with criteria "IS" in playlist "MUSIC_I_LIKE" AND "IS NOT" in playlist "MP3LIST"
If I delete the song "Rock The Block" from my MP3player, it would show up on the "WHATS_NOT_ON_MP3" list. Then i could or remove this from the playlist "MUSIC_I_LIKE", or (and this is even easier) if MUSIC_I_LIKE is an auto-playlist, change the properties of the song (can even be done when seeing the results of "WHATS_NOT_ON_MP3") so that it would not show up again in MUSIC_I_LIKE
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MP3LIST would be of files on device MUSIC_I_LIKE is of files on PC thus WHATS_NOT_ON_MP3 would be all files on MUSIC_I_LIKE. Furthermore Playlists in MediaMonkey require the files to be scanned in.

This makes the request more complex as you'd need the WHATS_NOT_ON_MP3 be created of Library files based on what has happened on your device (comparing what MediaMonkey synced last time and what exists this time). That criteria would also only work as long as the device is connected. Sounds interesting of course, but I wouldn't get your hopes up that this ever finds its way into MediaMonkey.
alin_derom

Post by alin_derom »

I agree, the MPS-player must be connected to the PC otherwise MUSIC_I_LIKE = WHATS_NOT_ON_MP3. That is a logical situation for the case I presented.
But when you connect an MP3 player to the PC it is detected by MM, and MM can show you the actual list of songs on the MP3 player, included the ones that have been added, and nog show the onses that have been deleted.
This means that MM could "easily" make an auto-playlist MP3LIST (that will be empty when no MP3 player is connected) based on what it has just scanned.
And once you have 2 lists you can show the differences between them.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It isn't easy as MediaMonkey needs to find the corresponding files in the Library as otherwise the Playlist is useless in the comparison you outlined.
alin_derom

Post by alin_derom »

Lowlander wrote:It isn't easy as MediaMonkey needs to find the corresponding files in the Library as otherwise the Playlist is useless in the comparison you outlined.
This raises a new question : Suppose an MP3 is synced by MM based on a playlist. I don't change the songs on the MP3 player. Suppose that I add 1 song to the same playlist MM and connect the MP3 player again. Question : Does MM notices that all songs of the playlist (execpt the one adeded) are already on the MP3 player?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, MediaMonkey should only sync the 1 new song.
alin_derom

Post by alin_derom »

Lowlander wrote:Yes, MediaMonkey should only sync the 1 new song.
In that case I think that a feature request is possible and defendable. I'll start the procedure in a couple of days.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It doesn't sync just the one song for you when using Auto-Sync?
alin_derom

Post by alin_derom »

Lowlander wrote:It doesn't sync just the one song for you when using Auto-Sync?
I don't know because the synchronizations were based on different playlists once auto-playlist, the other times manual playlist.
But the fact that it should only synchronize 1 song (I'll try to check this) means that theoretically MM can develop the feature I'm about to request.