Organizing my library.

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Emile

Organizing my library.

Post by Emile »

The problem: I have a lot of music on my comp and even more on CD. I can "read in"my cd's without putting them actually in my comp (very nice and necessary feature to build the database). If I do so, such CD's are listed in the main window of MM-explorer. If I "read in" a 100 CD's, I get a list of 100 titels in the main window, mixed up with my music drives and folders. How can I group or rearrange this list, or, even better, store my out-of-the-computer-CD-list in a selfcreated folder: "My music on CD" with for example some subfolders like 'classic', 'pop', etc. I want to do so, to actually separate the music on my CD's from the music on my computer, f.a. to get better insight in what I still have to burn and what not. I'm a novice user trying out MM, and till now coud'nt tackle this issue !!! Could use some help here! Tnx. Emile.
Lowlander

First reply

Post by Lowlander »

Well I'm not completely sure, but you could check out the virtual CD (see help in MM).

You can also check out the location node which lists files by location.

I hope this helps and otherwise I hope someone who knows the answer replies soon.

Good luck
Peke

Post by Peke »

Well, there is a few types of medias Stored in Location tree of MM or if you want it can be said Stored in MM Library.

1. local HDD with Media Files
2. Network Share Drives (Folder, etc.)
3. CDs With media files (Data ones)
4. Audio CDs
5. Removable Drives

All of them have its own Icon prior to Media Name. I'm for instance have 120 Audio CDs, 100 CD-Roms with MP3, 2 HDD partitions, 1 Shared partition from another Computer and it makes long long list.

If I'm Right you wish to Location Treenode look like:
Location/Local Partitions
---------/CDs With Multimedia contents
---------/Audio CDs
---------/Network (Allready existing)

Am I right?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Ok

Post by Lowlander »

I don't know about emile, but that certainly would be nice.
Emile.

Re: First reply

Post by Emile. »

Lowlander wrote:Well I'm not completely sure, but you could check out the virtual CD (see help in MM).

You can also check out the location node which lists files by location.

I hope this helps and otherwise I hope someone who knows the answer replies soon.

Good luck
I don't think so. As far as I understood Virtual CD is created to actually store some songs of a CD and some not. I don't wanna store any songs of (a lot) of my cd's. I just wanna store the CD description and data, and, preferably, in a seperate folder, not listed as a 100 cd'-listing.
Emile

Post by Emile »

Peke wrote:Well, there is a few types of medias Stored in Location tree of MM or if you want it can be said Stored in MM Library.

1. local HDD with Media Files
2. Network Share Drives (Folder, etc.)
3. CDs With media files (Data ones)
4. Audio CDs
5. Removable Drives

All of them have its own Icon prior to Media Name. I'm for instance have 120 Audio CDs, 100 CD-Roms with MP3, 2 HDD partitions, 1 Shared partition from another Computer and it makes long long list.

If I'm Right you wish to Location Treenode look like:
Location/Local Partitions
---------/CDs With Multimedia contents
---------/Audio CDs
---------/Network (Allready existing)

Am I right?
I guess You got the problem !! When I open the node Locations, my hdd are shown, my network, and a list of my physical CD's that I tried to store in my lib, but, intentionally, not in one of my hdd's!! And I wanna cluster this huge list.
jiri

Post by jiri »

We plan to add new nodes that will group all Audio CDs and all Data CDs in their own nodes. As was pointed out in this thread, it will help in browsing all the media in the library.

Jiri