Rename from Tag & automaticaly avoid duplicates & long name

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

alin_derom

Rename from Tag & automaticaly avoid duplicates & long name

Post by alin_derom »

Hi,
I am looking for a new rename option (actually for 2) and haven't found it under support or the forum.

First : avoid duplicates. This can now be done by adding random numbers, or sequential numbers, but then ALL file names have those numbers although (most of the time) only a few of them really need it. What I am actually looking for can be described like this : "Rename the files according to the chosen renaming rules (eg <Title> - <Artist>) and ONLY if the resulting filename already exists in that same folder, make it unique by adding _1 (if this exists use _2 , if that exist _3, and so on). This feature could be eg <UNIQUE>. As long as there is no duplicate it will add nothing.
An option for forcing a certain number of numbers is can also be usefull (eg <UNIQUE:2> would give _01)
Bye the way i cannot use the tracknumber of the CD because my originals are vinyl records that I have digitalized.

Second : if the filename gets to long automatically shorten it to the maximum allowed lenght (and if this creates a duplicate then shorten it again from 2 digits and add _1)
nohitter151

Re: Rename from Tag & automaticaly avoid duplicates & long name

Post by nohitter151 »

You can already trim the filename using $Trim($Left(<Title> - <Artist>,150)) where 150 is the max number of characters you want the filename to be.

For your first issue, yes I miss this from MM as well (in the event of duplicate filenames, append the filename with a number). But you can pretty much avoid the whole issue of duplicates at all by using track numbers in the filename.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
alin_derom

Post by alin_derom »

For the trimming I agree that this option is already available. But I was mentioning it for the <UNIQUE> parameter. Because then the trim had to be shorter (of course i could also trim 3 digits shorten and then there would be no problem) when an <UNIQUE> information was appended.

As for the <UNIQUE> paramter I only have found 1 freeware that does this (Bulk Rename Utility=BRU). But this program only uses ID3V1 tags, and only a few of them and gives problems when having long titles.
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/foru ... ?f=4&t=985
That's the only "problem" that that i have encounterd in BRU, for the rest it is great. But if you plan to pay for the renaming you can use
http://www.skyjuicesoftware.com/softwar ... index.html this one uses ID3V2 tags

Maybe i should put my question in the "wish list". In the mean time I change titles with an additional . or - or other sign
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can add a random number in MediaMonkey, but can't set this for only tracks with duplicate filenames.

<Random> would be the the mask for a random number <Random:2> would give you 2 digits.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Along with lowlander suggestion You can add <Auto Number:4> That will instruct MM to add Sync Order number to Filename so <Auto Number:4><Random:2> will result as 123412.mp3
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
alin_derom

Post by alin_derom »

all fine for the 2 hints, but that's not really what I am looking for
What if i want to create the next file names in 1 move (we suppose the syntax is <Title><Unique:2> - <Artist>).
Of course the option <Unique:2> does not exist yet, but that's the result i want
Don't forget that I am starting from vinyl recordings, and so I don't have a track number to make the filenames unique. And even then i could have the version on track 1 of a single an dtrack 1 of an LP and on that 1 of a "best of" LP

intro - genesis
my good song - genesis
back home - genesis
back home_01 - genesis
back home_02 - genesis
to the moon - genesis
into the flow - genesis
last song - genesis
last song_01 - genesis

As you see most songs just have TITLE+ARTIST. But I have in the same folder some "duplicates" of those songs.
Starting from the second on they will be numbered. So "last song_01 - genesis" is actually the second prevalence of this title.
And the song "back home" is 3 times in this folder.
That is a result that cannot be done by the nice suggestions you both provided me.
With your suggestions <Auto Number:4><Random:2> I could produce :
intro000125 - genesis
my good song000201 - genesis
back home000378 - genesis
back home000422 - genesis
back home000503 - genesis
to the moon000614 - genesis
into the flow000712 - genesis
last song000869 - genesis
last song000955 - genesis

To be honest, don't you think my proposal looks nicer?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

alin_derom wrote:To be honest, don't you think my proposal looks nicer?
Sure, as I already said I wish MM would append numbers to tracks with duplicate filenames, or at least provide the option. But that type of request belongs in the wishlist forum, not "Need help".
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
alin_derom

Post by alin_derom »

I know, but the wish list rules expect you to start searching for help during 3-5 days, and only then put it on the wish-list. still 2 more days to go