MM on linux

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Marco12

MM on linux

Post by Marco12 »

When Media Monkey will be available on Mac and Linux, I'm eager, I can't wait anymore, it's a pity that MM is available n Both platforms....
Please guys work on it. Do you have any information about MM on linux and Mac????
Thanks see ya guyz
Marco
Lowlander

Re: MM on linux

Post by Lowlander »

There are already a few topics on this issue as well as a Knowledge Base article. There is no date or version number set for either Linux or Mac OS version of MediaMonkey. There are also topics on how to get MediaMonkey running on either platform.
charhi

Post by charhi »

Since 2003 i see this in the wishlist:
WE NEED A MAC VERSION OF THE MONKEY

I love the monkey since I knew it!
It also took me quite long to get a mac in my house
I can say the ONLY windows application I miss inside my beautiful new MacBook Air is in fact
MEDIAMONKEY :((((((((((((

After a long while playing with music in my mac... I came here to check
Just hoping the amazing designers of the smartest music software ever
come with a cup of COCOA and delphinitely give a chance to the monkey to eat the apple

Cheers guys... anyway you are just amazing

Charhi

Post by Guest »

I'm also looking forward to a native linux version... I haven't found any program that can match mediamonkey, but running MM through wine is a hell. It's slow, when I change menu it's slow (read... really slow) and actually i stopped using MM again because of the lack of support :(

so until that day i'm using amarok or something similar.... but gogo! I will return, someday :D
Thornz

Post by Thornz »

I would also like a Linux version of MM. This is the only application I regret losing when switching over to Ubuntu.
However, I found a reasonable solution by running MM through a virtual Windows inside Linux (using VirtualBox). I must say it's a hell of a more enjoyable (and performant) experience than using Wine.
I even have this virtual windows autostart MediaMonkey so it feels even more like starting a normal app :-)
paga

Post by paga »

I've just installed MM on Xubuntu under Wine, but haven't really tested it yet. MM's slow starting up but seems OK once it's running, building library seems slow although my media is mounted across the network. If any one has experience I'd really like to know.
paga

Post by paga »

I've now done some testing, and ready the Wine MM Wiki. There's a documented problem with weblinks, which includes Podcast and Album web search. I installed IE7 under Wine (with a little difficult) and this seems to have fixed tahat problem all works, at least most thinks work, weblinks open and there's detail in the Web Search screen regarding album details.

Need to check RIPing next. I think the bigest problem is going to be file and directory names. This has given me problems before since I've always stored my music on a Linux/Unix system.

Ignoring the very low start-up, (so far) I am very happy with MM on Wine and XUbuntu 8. (something)
amudman

Post by amudman »

Hi, all. VirtualoBox is really working well with MM so far on my Linux machine. I have Ubuntu 9.04 installed on an IBM T23 with 1 gig of ram. I have wanted my MM on Ubuntu. I tried several things without success-- I am Not a computer wizard, but with searching there are some really good tutorials from some really great folks who try to help folks like me. I tried dual booting where I select winxp to use MM or Ubuntu for all else-- kind of a drag. I tried every music manager for Ubuntu I could find and was not happy with them. I installed VMware, got it working, but getting the share to access my music was hard for me and the program sloweddown my laptop too much. I abandoned VMware. I searched the online help and found the instructions I needed. It is an easy set up with the online help.

It is too early to say all is great as I haven't tried to do everything with MM. MM is not excessively slow, nor is VirtualBox. VirtualBox load Winxp in under 40 seconds on VB. I will be in the learning mode for a while. :wink: The bottom line is this: I suggest you look at the VirtualBox option if you want to use MM with your Ubuntu machine. Like Ubuntu, VirtualBox is free. Get you VirtualBox from the VirtualBox site; not from the Ubuntu repository as the sharing program is not as good.

Hope I help you as others have helped me.
chuck
Peke

Post by Peke »

@amudman
Nice info.

@All
I wonder has anyone tried to set MM as new windows Shell?

Changing the default shell (all users):

1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit)
2) go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) Change Shell from explorer.exe to the new shell path e.g "<MediaMonkey install path>\MediaMonkey.exe"
4) log out and log back in.

Changing the default shell (only current user):

1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit).
2) go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) add a new string value (Edit > New > String Value) called shell. and set the value to the path of the new shell e.g "<MediaMonkey install path>\MediaMonkey.exe"
4) log out and log back in.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts