Error: The CD-ROM Device E: was not found

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

deharsh

Error: The CD-ROM Device E: was not found

Post by deharsh »

Anyone got idea for this error? I'm using XP professional, the CD-ROM is an USB attached CD-RW by Yamaha.

I can see the CD-ROM by MS Media Player and i-tunes but cannot see it using MediaMonkey.

Thanks in advance.

deharsh
Felix Atagong

Post by Felix Atagong »

Can the cd be found from Windows Explorer? I have the same mistake a lot because when I put in an audio-cd the disc is not recognised and all programs (MM, 2xExplorer, cd icon) say there is no disc present.
Opening and closing the cd a second time usually does the trick...
Felix Atagong
http://atagong.com
deharsh

Post by deharsh »

yes, the windows explorer, the windows media, realplayer...etc
can locate the audio cd, only mediamonkey cannot.

no, i've tried to eject the cd a couple of times, and still don't work.

thanks to everyone in advance.

deharsh
rusty

CD problem

Post by rusty »

Deharsh,

Does the CD drive just not appear at all in the my computer node? Or is the problem that when you insert a CD, the inserted CD doesn't appear or play?

If the problem is the latter, then you can probably get things working using the following instructions (from the release notes):

b) Problems playing CDs and/or failed CD scans and Freedb lookups of CDs.
On some systems (usually on a system with multiple CD drives), MediaMonkey will have
trouble playing CDs, due to an incorrect mapping between physical drives and their
associated drive letter. This typically occurs when drive letters and IDE interfaces
are not in the same order.

On most systems this can be resolved by configuring the the CD Reader Input Plug-in:
-Click 'Tools' | 'Options' | 'Input Plug-ins' | 'CD Reader' and press 'Configure'
-Highlight each drive, and Configure each interface to use 'Win32' instead of 'ASPI'
or
-Highlight each drive, press 'Configure' and change the 'ASPI device' to the physical
device that actually maps to the drive letter in question.
-->Once you press 'Ok' (3x) and exit the options dialog, your problem should be solved.

On some Windows 9x systems, it may be necessary to reassign Windows CD Drive letters to
match the order of IDE interfaces. e.g.
IDE Interface Current Mapping New Mapping
cd1 IDE2 Master D: E:
cd2 IDE1 Slave E: D:
To remap a Windows 9x CD drive:
-Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
-Double-click the System icon, and then click the Device Manager tab.
-Click the CD-ROM drive you want to change, and then click the Properties button.
-Click the Settings tab.
-In the Reserved Drive Letters section, set Start Drive Letter and End Drive Letter to the
drive letter you want the CD-ROM drive to use. Click OK until you return to Control Panel.
-Restart the computer.
More information about how Windows assigns drive letters can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -US;234048

c) Problems playing CDs and/or "Win32 Raw_Read" error messages.
If you continue to have problems playing CDs and/or receive the above error messages, you
should consider installing version 4.6 of Adaptec's ASPI drivers. More information is at:
http://aspi.radified.com/aspi.htm

If you still experience error messages, you can disable digital CD playback, by deleting
the in_cdreader.dll plug-in from the /plugins directory.

d) Failure to play CDs via MediaMonkey's My Computer node.
If this occurs, select the CD in the MediaMonkey /My Computer node, and click 'Add Tracks
to Library'. Once it has been added, just double-click the tracks you want to hear.

-Rusty
deharsh

Post by deharsh »

rusty,
thx very much for your reply. Let me rephase my problem againg. My CD rom is a USB linking to my notebook.
It works fine by using MS meida player, i-tunes, realplayers...etc except mediamonkey.
When i open mediamonkey and highlight the CD ROM under "my computer", the mediamonkey always says
"The CD ROM E: was not found"

Then i chose "tools->options->CD ripping", the CD drive to set is E:.

I would suspect this is a bug of the software, which it got conflicts on reading USB type of CD ROM. I do believe it should work OK on IDE channels.

BTW, my machine is XP professional.

thanks all for any info.

deharsh[/img]