MediaMonkey for Android TV Help

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

alfredborges

MediaMonkey for Android TV Help

Post by alfredborges »

long time user of Mediamonkey on my PC and my android devices, I especially like the syncing feature

I purchased an Nvidia Shield Android TV device

was able to side load the android App from my tablet to the Nvidia Shield

works fine , except for couple of areas where the UI requires a mouse and the remote just wont work

A workaround is to use the Shield remote program on my phone - that includes a keyboard/track pad
I have also connected a mouse and keyboard via blue tooth

Is there any thought about making an official port to android TV ? it looks like you are almost ready
Lowlander

Re: MediaMonkey for Android Help

Post by Lowlander »

This is being looked at for MMA 2.0.

It's a shame that Android TV wasn't better designed to be compatible with Android Apps. Soo many Apps are missing from the Shield that would be wonderful to have.
dypsis

Re: MediaMonkey for Android TV Help

Post by dypsis »

I am also using MediaMonkey on my Android TV and have it working.

I am currently using MediaMonkey UPnP via Asset UPnP, but if I browse the MediaMonkey nodes, they are empty and I am prompted to add media.

Is there a better way to do this so that I can browse my music via the MediaMonkey nodes?
I have tried looking for a way to setup an SMB Share, but MediaMonkey doesn't appear to support that.

By the way, I have KODI set up with an SMB share, and it is working OK.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you browsing in MMA or browsing with Asset?
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Browsing in MMA.

As mentioned above, the MMA nodes are empty.

I bought the 3 additional addons that gave me the Pro version. One of the addons being UPnP.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So Asset is the server?

What file types are being served? MMA only supports what is natively supported by the device.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Yes, I've been trying to set it up with Asset.
I could use any DLNA compliant UPnP media server.

Most of my music media is FLAC.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So maybe, if I understand correctly:

On the MMA Homescreen you can only access the Asset server through UPnP. You can't use Artists or Albums or any of the other options on the homescreen as that covers files on your device.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

That is correct which pretty much makes the UPnP functionality on MMA useless to me as I need to be able to browse my media with the MMA interface.

I think if MMA had SMB share functionality, then it would probably allow me to browse my library with the MMA interface.

Any other ideas?

I don't like to make comparisons with other software as I am a big fan of MediaMonkey, but KODI enables me to do both UPnP and SMB shares and I can browse from the KODI interface. So, I know it can be done. VLC can do it too, although I don't use VLC for audio. I only use it for videos.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It depends on the DLNA Server how useful UPnP is as the server provides the browsing structure to the client.

So for example, MMW as Server can provide the same browsing structure as in MMW, inluding Artists, Genres and Folders.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:55 pm It depends on the DLNA Server how useful UPnP is as the server provides the browsing structure to the client.

So for example, MMW as Server can provide the same browsing structure as in MMW, inluding Artists, Genres and Folders.
So you think that the only proper way to do it would be to have MediaMonkey running on the computer that has the music and using it as the server?
The reason I like Asset or even Universal Media Server is the fact that they are light enough to run at startup, so they are always available.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If the PC with MediaMonkey is running Asset, I'd say yes, but I've not used Asset.

You can install MediaMonkey as a Service which will run at start of PC (before logging into Windows). You can start by trying MMW first and see if this provides a better browsing experience through UPnP in MMA: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/4.0
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:30 pm If the PC with MediaMonkey is running Asset, I'd say yes, but I've not used Asset.

You can install MediaMonkey as a Service which will run at start of PC (before logging into Windows). You can start by trying MMW first and see if this provides a better browsing experience through UPnP in MMA: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/4.0
Interesting that help wiki you linked to doesn't mention anything about installing as a service, but I see it there in the settings.
I'll give it a try and see if that does the job. I have never installed it as a service before.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

I can't get the service to start.
I know my password.

Last edited by dypsis on Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure you're using the same Windows User as the one you're running MediaMonkey as.