2 Computers & 1 iPod to sync. Duplicates a problem.

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

riverboatsam

2 Computers & 1 iPod to sync. Duplicates a problem.

Post by riverboatsam »

Hello! I have 2 computers (1 new one) and an iPod. I am trying to keep them all sync'd together. I'm having a problem syncing the ipod to the 2nd computer. Almost all of the files are the same (just a few new or changed ones on the iPod), but when I tried to do an auto-sync, it started copying EVERY file from the new PC to the i-Pod. It was in the process of copying over 7,000 files, virtually all duplicates. I finally found the cancel button after it had copied somewhere between the first 70-90 files to the iPod, and I had to manually delete the duplicates on the i-pod.
I'd like to keep both PC's And the i-Pod with the same files. I suspect there's a way to do this, but I haven't been able to figure it out, and I don't really want to unleash another round of an attempted duplicate copying of 7K worth of files, by randomly changing something I clearly don't understand.
Thanks for any help!
Peke

Re: 2 Computers & 1 iPod to sync. Duplicates a problem.

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I think That the best ay for you would be to use Portable MM installation on a an USB/eSATA/FireWire (depends on hardwarecapabilities of both PCs) External HDD where you would keep all of your 7k files and be sure that they are on Sync.

Maybe not cheapest solution but here is what I have used. Recently I have used NVMe M.2 1TB drive https://plugable.com/products/usbc-nvme/ (unfortunately Jmicron one :( so I have slower speeds) and when connected to USB-C 3.1 Gen.2 on motherboard I really do not see much difference than connected it directly. Only downside is that it gets very HOT 60+°C after continuous use, so I plan to move controller to 2.5, enclosure with small Active cooler that will be great to cool it down and lower to desk and other materials where I lay down enclosure.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
riverboatsam

Re: 2 Computers & 1 iPod to sync. Duplicates a problem.

Post by riverboatsam »

Sorry, I don't understand why, when I try to sync the media monkey library to the Ipod that it starts making duplicate files. Forgetting about the 1st computer (which is currently non-functional due to a MS update), it seems to me that if a computer with Media Monkey finds a song in it's DB, and finds the same song on the iPod DB, that it should not try to put a 2nd copy on the iPod. I think that seems like that would be a pretty standard rule for Syncing. I think I must have something set up wrong on the Media Monkey options side, but I can't find anything obviously wrong. Thanks for any help!