DB nows shows the path as ?/mp3/etc

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Evanj

DB nows shows the path as ?/mp3/etc

Post by Evanj »

I reformated and restored the HD, now SongsDB cannot find my folder called c:\mp3 which contains 10,000 songs (all with normalisation values computed).

Each song in the DB nows shows the path as ?/mp3/etc

How to restore the path back to c:\mp3?

I am using SongsBD ver 1.3 build 2 point somethings
rusty

Missing tracks after HD format

Post by rusty »

Evan,

Songs-DB relied solely on Volume Serial Numbers for matching tracks to the DB, so when you reformatted your drive a new Volume Serial Number was assigned, thereby breaking the link.

First thing I'd do is back up the DB.

Then:
-Install MediaMonkey instead of Songs-DB.

-If you have MediaMonkey Gold, go to the Files to Edit | Dead Links node, select all the tracks and click File|Retrieve Moved tracks... . MM should find the correct locations of all the 'moved' tracks.

-Alternatively, you can edit the Database directly and modify (using MS Access) the Volume Serial Number (in the Medias table) to match the serial number of your hard drive (which you can verify by typing DIR at a DOS prompt)
_or_ Look at the serial number in the db and then change the serial number on your hard drive to match the serial number that was used previously--before you reformatted (see http://www.songs-db.com/forum/viewtopic ... ght=serial for more information about changing serial numbers on a drive).

-Rusty
Johnson

many thanks for a well written and consise answer

Post by Johnson »

I had the same problem - thanks for offerring different solutions.

Suggest you put this advbise in the Help file of the next release

BTW, Mediamonkey has many small improvements. I like the auto playlists and equaliser.

We were confused that the "Playlist" and "Normalization" no longer exists.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thx for the feedback. We had this info in the MM 2.0 readme, but removed it, assuming (incorrectly) that most SDB users had upgraded to MM by now :oops:

Re. 'playlist' and 'normalization' the features are still both there. Playlist window is accessible via View|Now Playing, and Normalization was changed to 'Level Volume' (to enable it in the player) or 'Analyze Volume' (to calculate the coefficients) because many users didn't know what 'normalization' meant.

-Rusty