Freedb is queried and song list displayed - then disappears

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Luciano

Post by Luciano »

First of all, best regards from sunny Brazil and thanks for this wonderful program.

I was using the previous version until two weeks ago, and all was going just fine. I then updated to the new version and noticed a glitch: when Freedb is queried and a match is found for the CD in the drive, the song list is displayed in the panel. After about a minute, or usually when I start ripping the CD, the songlist disappears and is again replaced by Track 01, Track 02, Track 03, etc. Also, the info for that CD is not stored by MM.
Is there a way to get 'round this?

Thank you,

Luciano.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

right click the list and select all the list copy it and paste it in wordpad. would be the fastest way to keep the info.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Luciano

Post by Luciano »

Thanks, Keith

The trouble is, if I'm ripping that CD, the CD info won't be transferred to the ripped file and I'd have to enter it manually. When the CD info is memorized by MM then it is automatically transferred to the generated file, which saves a lot of time.

Luciano
Lowlander

Which version

Post by Lowlander »

Which version are you using? I had this problem too with some older versions of MM, but that latest release MM 2.1 should have solved this problem.
Luciano

Version

Post by Luciano »

I'm using the latest version. It didn't use to happen when I was using the previous version.
In fact it was working quite satisfactorily for many weeks, until the problem suddenly started (I can't quite be sure whether it started immediately after I installed the latest version).
In many occasions, after querrying Freedb, the CD info just flashes momentarily in the panel, and then goes back to showing Track 01, Track 02, etc again.
Thanks for your interest

Luciano
rusty

Failed freedb lookups

Post by rusty »

Luciano,

What normally occurs when a freedb lookup occurs is that the information from the lookup is saved to the cdplayer.ini file (located in your windows directory). Once information has been saved to CDplayer.ini, it is used to populate the DB if a track is ripped from that particular CD.

My guess is that for some reason, the cdplayer.ini file isn't getting updated _or_ that the file already contains incorrect entries for the CDs in question. Can you have a look at the file and see whether the CDs that you inserted appear in the file (along with their associated tracks)? When you insert a new cd (that has never been inserted into your system) does the file get updated correctly?

If not, then something is probably interfering with an update to this file (perhaps it's marked as read-only, or perhaps it's locked by another application).

-Rusty
Luciano

Post by Luciano »

Rusty,

You're right; I've located the cdplayer.ini file and it does not bring the info related to the latest CDs inserted, and its date of last update shows a few weeks ago although I used new CDs as late as yesterday. My guess is that another application is preventing it from being updated; some of the times I was using MM I did get a message that read "Your CD ROM drive is currenty being used by another activity" (though this did not interfere with MM activities).
I guess I'll have to try and find what other activity could be intefering with MM - any guesses?

Thanks again,

Luciano.
rusty

cdplayer.ini update problem

Post by rusty »

Normally, the only apps that would use this are mediaplayer type of applications e.g. Windows MediaPlayer, Winamp, MediaMonkey, etc. although all of these applications should not _lock_ the file as is happening in your case (i.e. they should simply open it, make the change, and then close it).

When you right click on the file and click 'Properties' is the 'Read-only' checkbox checked? If it is, uncheck it, and that should solve your problem.

-Rusty
Luciano

Post by Luciano »

When I first checked the attributes of the cdplayer.ini file, the "dead file" box was checked. I unchecked it. I have all the boxes unchecked now (for "read-only", "hidden file" or "dead file"); nevertheless, the problem still persists.
What I'm doing now, when I want to rip a CD, is to press "rip CD" right after the results of feedb are shown - this way MM will save the ripped files with the right names taken from freedb even after these names disappear from the tracks panel. If I take longer than about 30 sec. to press "rip CD" after a freedb querry, then the names are not saved. I have to admit it is a nuisance, but it solves the problem. The CD info is not stored (which is not a big problem for me), but I do not have to name tracks and artists manually. I've already gotten used to it: press "rip CD" right after CD track list is shown in the relevant panel.
What bugs me is that everything used to work perfectly until a few weeks ago, and then this problem started without a warning.

Thanks again,

Luciano.
RGSwan

Post by RGSwan »

I am having the same problem talked about above with the song information disappearing in the My Computer CD-ROM song list. I am using the latest stable version (not Alpha) of MediaMonkey.

I query Freedb, the information shows up, but if I wait more than 20 seconds or try and change some information (i.e. the album title), the information disappears and is replaced with generic info: "Track 1, Track 2...". The cdplayer.ini file is not being updated with the song information, in fact one of the CD's I recently ripped is not even in the list. The one I am currently trying to rip, only the ID number(??) and the artist is showing up, no songs, album name, etc. are showing up.

I have also checked the cdplayer.ini file for Read-Only, etc. and all are unchecked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Richard
Lowlander

Tried an other app?

Post by Lowlander »

Has anyone tried getting freeDB info thru other apps and see if that works. In other words see if MM is the cause or that Windows is the culprit.

Has anyone installed some other free apps for media files that might be causing this?
rusty

cdplayer.ini not updated

Post by rusty »

Richard,
A couple of questions:

-If you insert a CD and cdplayer.ini fails to update, and then you open cdplayer.ini in notepad and try to edit it (e.g. add 1 character at the top and then save it), does it save the change? If not, it means that some app has locked the file.

-Can you send me a log that shows mediamonkey starting, switch to /My Computer/CD, CD being inserted & tracklist then not being updated properly? Instructions for doing this with MM 2.2 Alpha builds appear at: http://www.songs-db.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341

-Can you send me your cdplayer.ini file

-What OS are you using?

thx.

-Rusty