can't update library

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

matt02177

can't update library

Post by matt02177 »

First let me say I think this program has the potential of being a great program. But I have found faults with it, many fixed by upgrading. But this last last I cannot seem to fix or correct. I have songs in a folder called MP3's un-filed. When dragging thenm to another folder according to artist. They move, but when I refresh, they are still in the same folder. Then I learn they weren't even in that folder anyway, but the database is still reporting them as they are still in this folder. I refreshed, and did a database update and/or library update, they are still there. I find this as an inconvience as I cannot organize my files correctly, using Media Monkey. Please help. Thank You, Matt
Matthew J Rivera
rusty

Post by rusty »

Matt,

I'm not sure I understand. Does the bug occur when you move:

a) Within MediaMonkey: _files_ from /Locations/hard drive/directory1 to /Location/directory2

b) Within MediaMonkey: _files_ from /My Computer/hard drive/directory1 to /My Computer/hard drive/directory2

c) Outside of MediaMonkey (moving via Windows Explorer): _files_ from /hard drive/directory1 to /hard drive/directory2

d) Within MediaMonkey: _files_ from /Locations/hard drive/directory1 to /Artist (node)/Artist1

Does it happen every time? Does it happen regardless of whether you move a single file or multiple files? Do you have more than one hard drive?

If you are describing a problem with case a) or b), I couldn't reproduce anything similar. Any additional details would be helpful.

If you're describing a problem with case case c), then upgrading to Gold will solve your problem via the File Monitor and the Retrieve Moved Tracks function.

If you're describing a problem with case d), then there actually isn't a problem--what is happening is that when you move a track to /Artist (node)/artist1, all that MM does it it changes the artist Tag and not a directory.

Let me know if this helps, and if not, please provide additional information.

thx.
matt02177

matt02177

Post by matt02177 »

In reply to your questions, If I move files outside of MM, from one folder lets say folder A, to another, lets say B and then start MM, the files are still in the original folder A, If I do a refresh, it still does not update library. If I do an update library, it still leaves the files as if they were in folder A, even though they are in Folder B. If I try moving the files from folder A inside MM, they appear to move, but if I do a refresh, they again appear back in folder A, even though they are not there, they are in folder B. I did fix the problem though, I tried deleing the database library, and it would not delete. Now, I did fix the problem, I un-installed MM, and deleted the library, and started over. But this is not a solution to the problem. I would hate to think, I will have to do this every time MM decides to make this problem. I have 6,000 songs, and I don't know if it is because the database can't handle this many files or what. But I would like to see a solution to this in case it ever happens again. NOW, I do have and noticed a new problem, and maybe you can address this issue too. MM when building the library from a single folder that contains 62 subfolders, will not show all the subfolders in that single folder. For instance, Juice Newton, I cannot get MM to recongize that this is a subfolder. I don't know if it is because if the letters or what, but there are five other subfolders that MM will not allow me to include in the one orginal folder. I hope this answers your questions, and I hope you can help me address my questions. Thank You, Matt
Matthew J Rivera
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

wow i never came across this in the free version? then again i dont update the lib. i just ad new songs in to it. which i did find that it does re-add some songs when doing that.

i just delete the double copys in the playlists and go on. this that you have is stange. hope it gets sorted out though.

as i can only suggest that you make your swap file about 3 times larger then the amount of ram you have.

what type of system you have ? you did not say that might be helpful?

i use this winxp and win98 and winme with mm and i have made the swap file to 2250 mbs on them and that seems to have helpped on most errors i get on all programs. might help here too
:-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Matt,

Since you're moving tracks outside of MM (case c), as you pointed out, the tracks are added in their new location when you do a scan, but aren't deleted from the old one. If you're not planning on upgrading to the gold version, there are 2 ways around this:

a) Move files from within MediaMonkey (via the My Computer node) rather than via Windows Explorer, and the db will be correctly updated automatically.
b) Move files from outside Explorer, rescan your directories, and then check for duplicate files and delete the entries that are no longer valid.

The other alternative is to upgrade to Gold as use the File Monitor and/or Retrieved Moved Files functionality of the Gold version to automate the process.

Re. the problem with scanning certain directories, can you confirm whether this is reproducible? i.e. if you clear the DB and then rescan, does the bug occur again with the same directories?

-Rusty