Can you stream from MMA to Sonos [#14301]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

MonkeyStrut

Re: Can you stream from MMA to Sonos [#14301]

Post by MonkeyStrut »

Sonos isn't visible at all. Only the built-in chromecasts are visible (Lenovo alarm clock and Nvidia Shield TV).

A lot of serious music serious collectors are using Sonos to listen to their music, but the Sonos App is not great to use. I'm sure Sonos support from MediaMonkey (as with Spotify, Samsung player, ...) will make MMA super appealing to them!
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

Peke wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:21 pm Hi,
Yes MM5 can see Sonos and play but there is a catch. Will try to put it in simple words how things work in theory and worked when we tried to test 5 years ago. Which based on brief search is still the case.

MM5: MM5 starts playing Queen - Breakthru -> Click on Play to -> MM search local network for Devices capable to play streams and finds Sonos that can play tracks of MM5 server -> After that you select Sonos to play MM5 Now Playing -> MM then ask Sonos to play track Queen - Breakthru from MM5 DLNA server -> Sonos say OK and play track.

MMA Case 1 : Play Local Track on device Queen - Breakthru (sybced to MMA from MM5) -> Click on ⋮ -> Cast To -> MMA Search all devices that can play and render Audio stream sent by MMA -> It silently locates the Sonos and asks it if it will receive the stream MMA will send -> Sonos say NO I do not support Chromecast and can't receive direct DLNA stream sent by MMA because it is not Track rendered on DLNA server but RAW audio stream -> MMA say OK will not list Sonos as Cast to device so it is not listed in Cast to available devices

Sonos APP: Click on play Music -> Search DLNA Servers on LAN -> Finds MM5 -> Search for Song Queen - Breakthru -> Tell Sonos device to Play track Queen - Breakthru from MM5 DLNA server -> Sonos say OK and play track.

NOTE: Some apps like BubbleUPnP (not tested, but taht is based on what I have found on Internet search) have partial DLNA server that can tell Sonos -> OK you can't play direct stream -> I'll create DLNA server with track that you can ask to be played -> Ok Sonos I created DLNA Server with track Queen - Breakthru that you can start playing, but be warned it will drain battery more quickly -> Sonos say OK and play track.

As @Rusty pointed We will reopen https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14301 to see if possible we can make native support for SONOS and also watch Sonos updates because they apparently stated DLNA output (eg. DLNA renderer support) will be added in future with no deadline and it is almost a year passed https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/232 ... ent-106467

Hope this makes things bit more clear, I would really liked that things changed and that there is way to make it work so, keeping fingers crossed for https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14301
Christmas brought a Sonos system into my environment this year, and being long invested in my MM library, I was hoping to see this work. I've held off on that brand b/c I know they're a little fussy about interoperability, but one showed up this year anyway. They do make nice hardware.

Thanks for the thorough reply here. It's a little disappointing, but at least I'll know not to be banging my head against looking for a problem on my end. Look forward to seeing you guys work this one out somewhere down the road.
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If you are willing maybe you can help us by testing MM5 behavior (preferably with creating LOGs) and then do the same with MMA trying to Cast/Play to Sonos and after trying (no matter of result) use ☰ -> ? -> Send Logs -> Write MMA LOG alongside MM5 log in Support ticket, which will help us to compare what MMA is missing in order to get them listed.

Lets give them benefit of doubt and chance to see if they changed things to better in 2023.

HAPPY MONKEYING!
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MonkeyStrut

Post by MonkeyStrut »

Hi -- I've done it, using a portable install of the debug version of MMW (that could cast easily to an of my Sonos speakers) and tried to repreoduce with the current beta bersion of MMA (that CANNOT see any Sonos speaers). I've created a ticket where I've uploaded the MMW logfile and written the MMA log reference.

This is now in Ticket #5313.

Hope that helps.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you, it will surely shred some light on a issue.
Best regards,
Peke
rusty

Post by rusty »

fyi, we've made some changes in build 1060 that may solve this.

Please let us know once it becomes available (late tonight or Wed. morning). Thanks!

-Rusty
MonkeyStrut

Post by MonkeyStrut »

Hi. MMA can still only see the built-in Google casts of Lenovo Smart clocks and Shield TV. MMA doesn't see any Sonos speaker. I'm with the new build 1060. Log ID RUZ2E9AFGV.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for letting us know and sharing the log!

Since we don't have a Sonos atm and since our priorities on getting 2.0 out the door, this'll probably sit on the backburner for a bit.

-Rusty
jonh04

Post by jonh04 »

Hello and thank you for your work.

I wanted to possibly revive this thread and offer my help in light of the recent change from the Sonos Android app to drop support for local media playback.

I own a Sonos 1 and a Sonos 5, am opted in to the beta program and would be happy to help.

Meanwhile Hifi-cast is working but I prefer the use of MM.

Let me know if and how I can help.
MonkeyStrut

Post by MonkeyStrut »

That would be awesome as MMA is still not working with Sonos. Sonos devices are seen by the cast option but MMA cannot connect to it.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Just chiming in here with some support for this feature. As the Sonos app no longer lets you play local media to your Sonos speaker I'm left with a useless lump of black plastic!

As has been reported here MMW works perfectly in streaming to my old Sonos Play 1 speaker and MMA shows it in the list of available devices under cast but never manages to connect.

If this can be fixed it would bring my Sonos speaker back to life (plus I think you'd get a good chunk of grateful Sonos users moving over to MM!)
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Just noticed there's an app on the Play store called Hifi Cast which streams all the music on my phone straight to my Sonos speaker. Hopefully it's just a bug in MMA as my Sonos speaker seems to be listed as a playback device in Hifi Cast in the same way as it is on MMA, except that MMA won't playback over the Sonos.

If this gets fixed I'd much rather be able to play to my Sonos from within MMA but as a workaround it seems to work perfectly for anyone looking to stream local media to their Sonos now that the Sonos people have decided to take this option away.
Kodijack

Post by Kodijack »

Sadly I'm having the same problem. MMA won't stream to Sonos, or precisely: No devices show up in CAST TO.
(MM5 on Windows does cast fine though)

What I've tried:
- Adding the sonos manually.
- Double-checking DNS-issues
- Disabling Pihole and any firewall
- Trying older MMA, and currently the latest beta
- Trying other streaming-apps like Bubble/AirAudio etc. All work fine
- Masked the root for MM, currently unmasked again

As it is now, all my Sonos are just worthless pieces of plastic since the removal of "playing stuff on your device". I love MM, I don't want anything else ever. Why do Sonos suck so much? I just assume it's not really a problem with MM.

On my phone I could you AirAudio (even it shouldn't be needed to just stream silly audio), but it doesn't work on the non-rooted devices here.

This is the devicedescription.xml from one of those cans:

Code: Select all

1 0 urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:ZonePlayer:1 192.168.0.181 - Sonos Play:1 Sonos, Inc. http://www.sonos.com S12 Sonos Play:1 Sonos Play:1 http://www.sonos.com/products/zoneplayers/S12 74.0-43312 2 1.20.1.6-2.1 78-28-CA-9D-55-18:9 78:28:CA:9D:55:18 uuid:RINCON_7828CA9D551801400 0 image/png 48 48 24 /img/icon-S12.png 73.0-00000 58.0-00000 1.35.3 1.1.0 15.7 34 Lizzy Play:1 14 0x00000000 0x00403332 0x0009380e A200 1 5 256 256 10 0 1443 1843 1 urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AlarmClock:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:AlarmClock /AlarmClock/Control /AlarmClock/Event /xml/AlarmClock1.xml urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:MusicServices:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:MusicServices /MusicServices/Control /MusicServices/Event /xml/MusicServices1.xml urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:DeviceProperties:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:DeviceProperties /DeviceProperties/Control /DeviceProperties/Event /xml/DeviceProperties1.xml urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:SystemProperties:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SystemProperties /SystemProperties/Control /SystemProperties/Event /xml/SystemProperties1.xml urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ZoneGroupTopology:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:ZoneGroupTopology /ZoneGroupTopology/Control /ZoneGroupTopology/Event /xml/ZoneGroupTopology1.xml urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:GroupManagement:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:GroupManagement /GroupManagement/Control /GroupManagement/Event /xml/GroupManagement1.xml urn:schemas-tencent-com:service:QPlay:1 urn:tencent-com:serviceId:QPlay /QPlay/Control /QPlay/Event /xml/QPlay1.xml urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1 192.168.0.181 - Sonos Play:1 Media Server Sonos, Inc. http://www.sonos.com S12 Sonos Play:1 Media Server Sonos Play:1 http://www.sonos.com/products/zoneplayers/S12 uuid:RINCON_7828CA9D551801400_MS urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:ContentDirectory /MediaServer/ContentDirectory/Control /MediaServer/ContentDirectory/Event /xml/ContentDirectory1.xml urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ConnectionManager:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:ConnectionManager /MediaServer/ConnectionManager/Control /MediaServer/ConnectionManager/Event /xml/ConnectionManager1.xml urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaRenderer:1 Lizzy - Sonos Play:1 Media Renderer Sonos, Inc. http://www.sonos.com S12 Sonos Play:1 Media Renderer Sonos Play:1 http://www.sonos.com/products/zoneplayers/S12 uuid:RINCON_7828CA9D551801400_MR urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:RenderingControl:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RenderingControl /MediaRenderer/RenderingControl/Control /MediaRenderer/RenderingControl/Event /xml/RenderingControl1.xml urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ConnectionManager:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:ConnectionManager /MediaRenderer/ConnectionManager/Control /MediaRenderer/ConnectionManager/Event /xml/ConnectionManager1.xml urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AVTransport:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:AVTransport /MediaRenderer/AVTransport/Control /MediaRenderer/AVTransport/Event /xml/AVTransport1.xml urn:schemas-sonos-com:service:Queue:1 urn:sonos-com:serviceId:Queue /MediaRenderer/Queue/Control /MediaRenderer/Queue/Event /xml/Queue1.xml urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:GroupRenderingControl:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:GroupRenderingControl /MediaRenderer/GroupRenderingControl/Control /MediaRenderer/GroupRenderingControl/Event /xml/GroupRenderingControl1.xml urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:VirtualLineIn:1 urn:upnp-org:serviceId:VirtualLineIn /MediaRenderer/VirtualLineIn/Control /MediaRenderer/VirtualLineIn/Event /xml/VirtualLineIn1.xml urn:rhapsody-real-com:device-id-1-0:sonos_1:RINCON_7828CA9D551801400 QPlay:2 image/png 48 48 24 /img/icon-S12.png
(Sorry for the "readability", it just came out like that)
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Quite an old topic regarding the first posting, and I encountered the same issues like others before.

MMW5 lists any of my Sonos within "Device & Services". E.g. one of the Sonos Play1 speakers is reachable using URI http://192.168.7.1:1400/xml/device_description.xml
Moreover, MMW5 can stream to the Sonos devices w/o any issues!

This URI is given by MMW5 and I can open it on any browser, including on my Android smartphone as well. As a result, I get an XML file with some unspecific information, at least it looks alike.

Spotify on my Samsung S21 FE 5g, can stream flawlessly to my Sonos devices, without any further configuration. Spotify just lists the device beyond their casting button and after selecting a speaker the streaming begins.

When entering the URI http://192.168.7.1:1400/xml/device_description.xml in MMA2, latest beta, nothing happens. I can press the cast button, configure the URI, press save. That's all! The configured target is not recognized and disappears from the available devices afterwards to be re-entered again.

So is MMA2 capable of streaming to Sonos or not?
Why does MMW5 automatically find the Sonos devices and is streaming to them, Spotify on Android is doing as well, but not MMW2. Is there some magic missing anywhere?

Michael
Peke

Post by Peke »

Ho,
Sonos have native support for Spotify API and that is why it works, MM5 uses our own reverse engineered workarounds for Sonos , which MMA can't use for now due the Android permission limitations.
Best regards,
Peke