Is converting wma files really possible???

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

jt

Is converting wma files really possible???

Post by jt »

Referring back to an earlier topic I started, I finally succeeded in playing
WMA files using a winamp plugin instead of the MM plugin. This is really weird in the first place: I have all the newest WinMedia9 codecs installed (WinXP SP1, 2.4GHz, 500RAM, WinAmp2), thus a really normal configuration with an untouched WinMedia9 installation, and a cannot
play the WMAs with the regular MM DLLs, in fact, WMAs that I have generated by converting MP3s with MM itself! So the program cannot read the files it created itself??? Furthermore, whenever I try to convert the WMAs I created back to MP3, WAV or any other format I get an error message saying that MM doesn't know how to decode. What's wrong???
:(
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

it is possible that you have in one of the applications turned on copyright protection for the wma files. go through all places that it might be and turn it off.
jt

wma

Post by jt »

I already checked that. No, I didn't turn that on anywhere. It is really a fact that MM cannot play its own created WMA files with its own plugin (in_dswm.dll) and conversion is simply not possible because there seems to be no converter... at least nobody could tell me what file is responsible for conversion in order to eliminate the problem...
jiri

Post by jiri »

In fact in_dswm.dll input plug-in reads Window Media Audio files using Direct Show Multimedia Streaming interface, which is a part of DirectX. So when some WMA files cannot be read, it means that there's some problem in this layer - I would say that re-installation of DirectX could help, but I'm not sure about it, we'll try to investigate a bit more.

We also plan to improve support for WM files creation, e.g. support new WM9 media format content (VBR, lossless, etc.), but it's a matter of the next version.

Jiri
jt

wma

Post by jt »

I have DirectX 9.0b end-user runtime installed. I tested it with the DirectX test tool that comes with windows XP. None of the tests gives me a problem. I'm not sure whether DirectShow is tested with this tool though. I'll keep on testing... and reading about what MS has to day about DirectShow problems...
jt

wma

Post by jt »

... oh... and I also re-installed DirectX9.0b... no change though...