Error synching with ios 9.1

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

narxistdan

Error synching with ios 9.1

Post by narxistdan »

Invalid class typecast reported when synching a single file to an iPhone 6+ running iOS 9.1. It works fine with files that aren't being converted but files that are being converted cause it to fail to sync. It just hangs on "Synchronizing myName iPhone 6+: (Copying 0 of 1: )".

It has intermittently been able to get past that and look like it's converting but it will just hang endlessly on any file that requires converting.

I sent a crash report through the debug version of 4.1.10.1769 RC

Please let me know any suggestions or if I can provide any help troubleshooting.
Ludek

Re: Error synching with ios 9.1

Post by Ludek »

Is it the one from mathias barone at me dot com?
narxistdan

Post by narxistdan »

It should be from danfajans at Gmail.

Thanks for your help!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks, I got it,
I see that it crashed on trying to convert a video file, but we would need to see debug log to see which file it is (item 4b here http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341 )

Nevertheless it looks like a consequence of a missing codec or something like this and I think you should be able to replicate the same by selecting the video file and go to menu Tools -> Convert Format...

But generating log would be probably easier way to find what is going on.

Thanks!
narxistdan

Post by narxistdan »

Hi Ludek,

What you should have seen on that crash report was syncing one playlist with one file in it. It's a FLAC file, not a video file. Converting from FLAC to mp3 using the menu works fine. It also works fine when syncing with an iPhone classic.

I did the same thing again and generated a log file you can download here: https://www.mediafire.com/?2a24v42b6hhpj1d

MM spends quite a while re-scanning my library when it boots up and the instructions say not to boot 'til after DbgView is running, so most of the log is that activity.

Thanks again. Btw, I assume y'all would recommend against updating to iOS 9.2 at this point?

Dan
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, thanks for the log,
I suspected it was video files, because it crashed while it wanted to convert the file as video.

So maybe the bug is that you manually assigned 'video' type to the this audio file:
F:\Music\Robert Glasper\Robert Glasper Experiment - Black Radio (2012)\11 Letter to Hermoine (feat. Bilal).flac
???

If you right-click the file and go to properties, is the type "Music" or "Video" ??

In any case I cannot reproduce the crash if I classify a FLAC as video, MM is just saying "unable to convert format" or "conversion unsuccessful".
narxistdan

Post by narxistdan »

It's marked as Music.

I think it is actually operator error though. I was able to get it to sync by turning off all but one auto conversion rule. I had created one to convert incompatible audio of any kind and another to convert any audio over 320 kbps. The output format was set the same, so I was thinking if it met either or both criteria it would work. But it seems like the fact that this file (and many others - this was just an example) met both criteria, it was crashing.

It's doing fine now with several hundred files that it had been failing with previously, so I think that must have been the issue. The odd thing is that it responds just fine to exactly the same auto conversion rules when syncing with my iPod classic (it's doesn't crash when a file meets both criteria).

It may be something to look at but I'm now able to work around it.

Thanks again. Btw, I assume y'all would recommend against updating to iOS 9.2 at this point?

Thanks!
Dan
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, interesting.

I tried to reproduce with the file meeting both criteria, but I couldn't.
I guess this must be a misconfiguration somehow caused by old/inconsistent auto-convert data in the particular device profile.

I guess that if you would put back the original criteria (so that file meets both criteria again) then you wouldn't be able to reproduce any longer too ?

Re: iOS 9.2: Just updating from 9.1 to 9.2 and testing, will let you now shortly...
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, just upgraded and tested iOS 9.2 with my iPod Touch 5G and all seems to work fine.

It just took me a while before I found how to rate a track in iOS 9.2 (to ensure that iPod -> MM rating sync works correctly).
So you need to click the track title on the player to bring up the stars rating.