MM is Ignoring "Encoding Quality" - Slow Transcodi

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

ogdoad8

MM is Ignoring "Encoding Quality" - Slow Transcodi

Post by ogdoad8 »

The setting for "Encoding Quality" appears to be ignored In the dialog box "Device Profile" / "Auto-conversion rule" / "MP3 Settings".

This setting presumably maps to the LAME encoder "-q" param:

Code: Select all

-q <arg>     <arg> = 0...9.  Default  -q 5
    -q 0:  Highest quality, very slow
    -q 9:  Poor quality, but fast
I'm using a single FLAC song as a test file. From the command line, I can decompress FLAC to WAV in less than 4 seconds. I can then compress WAV to MP3 in another 4 seconds:

Code: Select all

flac -d a.flac                  <-- less than 4 seconds
lame -b 128 -q 9 a.wav a.mp3    <-- approx. 4 seconds
But no matter what settings I give to MM, it takes at least 25 seconds to convert the same FLAC file to MP3. And no matter what settings I give for "Encoding Quality", I seem to get exactly the same output file size and exactly the same encoding time. (Note I'm referring just to transcoding and not to actually copying to the device).

I'd really like to accelerate my transcoding, and I can't figure out why I can transcode a file in less than 8 seconds on the command line, but MM (v2.5.1.934) takes 3x or more time! Please help!

-=og=-
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Possibly the prioity settings affect how long it takes for the difference between command line and MM?
rusty

Quality/speed settings ignored

Post by rusty »

Looks like a bug. This had been working, but stopped working once we removed lame 3.97 due to other unrelated issues.

Looking into it.

-Rusty
jiri

Post by jiri »

Seems to be fixed now, will be ok in the next release.

Jiri