Remote Database on NAS

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

hroberts89436

Remote Database on NAS

Post by hroberts89436 »

I have my database on a remote server with 36 TB on a raid system (over 1700 albums all in flac format). I want to install MM on a new computer (better ripping capabilities) but connect to that existing database. What is the best way to do this. To just do a fresh install and rescan the directory structure would take an extended time.

The current set-up is Computer 1 houses the Database. Computer 2 has MM installed on it. when I originally created the Database It was placed on a network share i.e. \\computer1\music. Computer 2 plays music just fine, sees all of the music, and works great. Now I want to move everything from computer 2 to computer 3.

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't and I need to clarify something please let me know, and I will try to re-word it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Lowlander

Re: Remote Database on NAS

Post by Lowlander »

If the database file (MM.db) is on the server you can just link to it (like you did on computer 2): http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=46

Note that 2 instances of MediaMonkey accessing the database at the same time may cause problems.
hroberts89436

Post by hroberts89436 »

Lowlander wrote:If the database file (MM.db) is on the server you can just link to it (like you did on computer 2): http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... le/View/45

Note that 2 instances of MediaMonkey accessing the database at the same time may cause problems.

Thank you so very much. This resolved the issue of the MM.DB file working. The new machine now sees the entire catalog of all of the music.

Now I have located another issue. Even though I imported all of the music using the UNC of \\computer1\music\... It used a temporary drive mapping for some of the music of h:\... Is there an easy way to fix these albums showing the h:\ mapping instead of \\computer1

Thanks again for solving that issue for me
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

hroberts89436

Post by hroberts89436 »

Lowlander wrote:The following can likely do this: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=63823

Thank you. this solved the problem. It took me a while to determine what my issue was with getting this to work but all of my music is now playing correctly from the new machine.

Another question that was brought up by you. You said "Note that 2 instances of MediaMonkey accessing the database at the same time may cause problems." What type of problems? if MM is network aware, why wouldn't this allow me to use 2 instances?

I only have it on one machine currently, but If i wanted to connect a PC to my Home stereo system, why couldn't I do this?

Thanks for the help so far.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The database (SQLite) isn't designed to handle simultaneous access from multiple instances. That may cause database errors. However you can access it from different instances without issues if it's not simultaneous (so your home stereo PC can access it if your current machine isn't accessing it and vice versa).
hroberts89436

Post by hroberts89436 »

That makes sense. Is it possible to have Media Monkey use a different SQL database that is more robust and able to handle multiple accesses at the same time?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

hroberts89436 wrote:That makes sense. Is it possible to have Media Monkey use a different SQL database that is more robust and able to handle multiple accesses at the same time?
No
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

hroberts89436 wrote:That makes sense. Is it possible to have Media Monkey use a different SQL database that is more robust and able to handle multiple accesses at the same time?
This has been requested several times and would be a greatly welcomed addition
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
mjlenox

Post by mjlenox »

Lowlander wrote:If the database file (MM.db) is on the server you can just link to it (like you did on computer 2): http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=46

This link no longer works. Is there another?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »