Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Android?

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Post by Android? »

@MMGalaxy User:

Does your S3 synch fine with MM? Specifically:
*manual synching (right click + send to) or auto-synching of music, video-podcasts?
*playlists
*to the card vs to the phone's drive
*how long does it take? is it copying everything each time?
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

Just to add an extra information, MTP transfer hang on the initial sync. It hung toward the very end of syncing 33Gb of music

EDIT: I think it hang when it copy the playlists, as only a few of them are created, but all music seem to be there.
MMGalaxyUser

Post by MMGalaxyUser »

@Android:
Answers Inline:
Does your S3 synch fine with MM? Specifically:
*manual synching (right click + send to) or auto-synching of music, video-podcasts?
Haven't done a manual sync as you define it above yet. Only tried to select specific and synch playlists.

*playlists
*to the card vs to the phone's drive

I've tried to sync playlists to both the internal memory as well as External MicroSD, to no avail. As I said above, MM seems to read the internal memory as the 'card' and the External MicroSD as the 'phone' (based on the reported available space). I havent tried to just synch songs w/o playlists yet, but will try the rest of the scenarios and report results.

*how long does it take? is it copying everything each time?
Synch time (from MM perspective) is excruciatingly long. It goes through a 'read' fairly quickly and then reports only a few songs synched over an hour or more. Eventually MM hangs and I kill it in Windows. However, when I then look at the phone contents afterwards (both Internal/External) I see alot of songs present (that I'm able to play). However, alot of tag metadata is missing. I don't know if that is because I killed the process in Windows or what.

I can't say for sure if it's copying everything every time, as I don't think I'm getting a clean copy the first time to know if it's re-copying the clean data the 2nd time.

I have a large library and only synch playlists, but I'll see what else I can do and report back.
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

Another. update : There is no issue with syncing with the galaxy s3 and a 32 gb lexar microsdhc.

Issue start when using a 64gb sandisk micro sdhc.
Android?

Post by Android? »

x-cimo wrote:Another. update : There is no issue with syncing with the galaxy s3 and a 32 gb lexar microsdhc.
Issue start when using a 64gb sandisk micro sdhc.
That's interesting to hear! Any other positive feedback from Galaxy S3 (or other Android) users?

From browsing through the forum I get the impression though, that to whatever mobile device I turn (Apple, Android, ...) there are issues with synchronisation, even when you consider synchronizing just copying stuff to the device without intelligence... :(

Mediamonkey is soooo much better than iTunes... if it would only work super-easy for synchronising. I want a state-of-the art smartphone that serves as my mobile media player and works fine with MM. I thought the Android family was the way to.
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

Android? you're somewhat hijacking this thread there. You might want to start another one. (No offense!)

Anyway here's my answer:

Android completely rocks and so does Media Monkey, it beat any other music manager. MM sync fairly well with android device, especially when in Mass storage mode.

I had a Galaxy S2 and it was working really well, now with a Galaxy S3 and apart from the 64Gb card issue (which im sure will be resolved) it's a truly awesome device.

If I would be buying a phone right now, it would be a Galaxy S3, it's a Huge improvement over the S2 and pure pleasure to use, i have no complain about it whatsoever.
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

MMGalaxyUser

Post by MMGalaxyUser »

Thanks A LOT x-cimo!

Also: Trolls, BE GONE! :evil:

As a new S3 User and longtime MM user I love the device and am confident that things will be worked out with the S3. I think that the entire issue with USM vs MTP is part of it. The strange storage change (be it Samsung's or Google's) seems to have thrown a lot of apps for a loop. (The Samsung S3 threads at XDA-Developers are full of stuff like this.) This along with the fact that ICS is very new and quirks are always expected (and pretty much always resolved!) shouldn't surprise anyone. As I said, if I can help I'm happy to do so.
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

Anyone else have acces to other microsd?

I would be worth someone else try it see if it work or not.
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

Everything I do point me in the direction of the card..

Where did you guys buy your 64gb sdxc card? and how much did you pay? Got mine on ebay for 70$
MMGalaxyUser

Post by MMGalaxyUser »

Got mine at cellphoneshop.net
$72 shipped.

Don't have anything smaller at the moment to check. I might have a 2GB lying around somewhere. If I find it I'll check it out.

BTW - x-cimo, I saw your posts over at at XDA-Developers. Thanks!
MMGalaxyUser

Post by MMGalaxyUser »

Apparently size DOES matter. I found a 4GB MicroSD and tried a playlist sync to the S3 tonight. I set up the MM autosync options per the normal procedures and then ran the autosync. A small test (40 songs, 220MB) worked great. I then added a larger playlist (220 songs, 1.5GB) and it went over as well. Playlists were auto-created on the device and I was able to access & play them w/o incident. Artwork and tags came across just fine in this small test. I haven't tried adding new songs to the playlist and resyncing yet, but will do so.

So where does this leave us? It seems like MM does work on the S3 within the limits of this test. Do we need to look at the 64GB problem as a Samsung issue or an ICS one? I guess we need to look around and see if other apps are having problems with the larger MicroSDs. Thoughts?
mentix1

Post by mentix1 »

I can confirm the issue as well. Using 4.0.5.1496

I am using a 16GB AmazonBasics Class 10 card (not sure who the real manufacturer is but here is link to it: http://amzn.to/udwFdX ) and having the same issue as well. Some of my sync list will copy over, but not all the files and none of the playlists do (with auto-sync). If I right-click a playlist and manually sync, it does copy all the files over to the phone, but the playlist itself only shows maybe 4 or 5 songs max.
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

Just wanted to let you guys know that MM dev are active and talking with me for logs etc..

I am also trying to find a solution on my side.
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

Well I might have some "good" news..

I think I got it working. I say "I think" because I saw the glitch one, removed everything, and now it seem good..

I only did limited testing, I am now syncing my full collection and it's very long..

Following advise from xda forums, I used the microsd adaptor to put the card in my laptop and used this tool to format it to FAT32 instead of the default exFAT.

TOOL: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. ... format.htm

Since then (except for the glitch at the beginning) sync and re-sync *SEEM* to work. (still testing).

But if others could try the same and report here, it would be nice to know if that fix it for everyone.

Also, a side benifit is that when formatted FAT32 the card is seen by Samba filesharing app (require root), and it's possible to sync over WIFI (this is my next step if USB sync fail again)..

Also SMB (WIFI) syncing would let me eliminate or not the MTP sync itself, since it's not using it.

Another note is that I still have missing playlist on the phone, but I think all the music is there.