MM locks up (hangs) when resizing window

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

nohitter151

Re: MM locks up (hangs) when resizing window

Post by nohitter151 »

oldbwl wrote:
Lowlander wrote:The issue has already been addressed and MediaMonkey 4 is compatible with IE9.
in MM3? or just MM4?
if MM3, where can I find the patch?

Many thanks
MM4 only.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
oldbwl

Post by oldbwl »

Well that's me gone then.

I have a lifetime licence, but I have looked at MM4 and there is nothing in it over MM3 for me. Even just for the solution to IE9, as it is still in beta with no published release date, it is not the answer as I cannot install it on the PC where I have MM3.

The PC concerned is used for work. They are very picky (as you might guess) as to what is installed, beta software is a def no no. I have a hardware dongle for security login to a remote server which is programmed to use IE9 only (I have only had that for a week, but there is no going back to the older tag).

So no more MM for me, I just can't get on with the unskinned version sadly, a couple of the plugins I use seem to object to that too.
annoyed now.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That seems unreasonable. If you have a lifetime license and the issues is fixed in a new version I don't see why you're making a big fuss of this. I understand that it is annoying you'll have to wait till the final release is out, but the issue has already been addressed by the developers.
oldbwl

Post by oldbwl »

Lowlander wrote:That seems unreasonable. If you have a lifetime license and the issues is fixed in a new version I don't see why you're making a big fuss of this. I understand that it is annoying you'll have to wait till the final release is out, but the issue has already been addressed by the developers.
I understand you, and your reasoning could make sense, but for space reasons I didn't type out all the facts (see below now). I am grateful for the response too. This is always a helpful and friendly place. But I am unhappy, and nothing you say can help with that - indeed the contrary is the case.

The developers have NOT addressed the issue. If they had it would no longer be happening on MY software. I am not reporting bugs so they can be fixed in another product ie MM4. I bought MM3 - I paid the Lifetime because I did not know what shape or form MM4 or 5 etc would take at that time and I wanted to provide my support to the fullest extent.

I really object to the overall tone now. Effectively I am told, if you want this to go away you have to wait for an indefinite period and use a different program with a different set of features. I had to go through a significant testing process to get permission for MM3 on my works machine, I am not going to go through all that again just to load its replacement when MM3 does - or that should read 'did' exactly what I wanted.

So to restate my case. There is a problem in MM3 and it is MM3 I want to use, not MM4 - particularly as that vers contains video capabilities which for my PC almost certainly makes it a no go install for our management, making the solution offered useless. - Even MS media players have been stripped from our work@home PC's and we are regularly audited.

It appears there is no appetite to resolve the issue in MM3, it's MM4 or nothing. For me that has to be nothing. If you think that being unhappy at losing my favourite piece of software, which went a long way to making my day a bit less of a drudge is unreasonable, then OK, the cap fits.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

oldbwl wrote:
Lowlander wrote:That seems unreasonable. If you have a lifetime license and the issues is fixed in a new version I don't see why you're making a big fuss of this. I understand that it is annoying you'll have to wait till the final release is out, but the issue has already been addressed by the developers.
I understand you, and your reasoning could make sense, but for space reasons I didn't type out all the facts (see below now). I am grateful for the response too. This is always a helpful and friendly place. But I am unhappy, and nothing you say can help with that - indeed the contrary is the case.

The developers have NOT addressed the issue. If they had it would no longer be happening on MY software. I am not reporting bugs so they can be fixed in another product ie MM4. I bought MM3 - I paid the Lifetime because I did not know what shape or form MM4 or 5 etc would take at that time and I wanted to provide my support to the fullest extent.

I really object to the overall tone now. Effectively I am told, if you want this to go away you have to wait for an indefinite period and use a different program with a different set of features. I had to go through a significant testing process to get permission for MM3 on my works machine, I am not going to go through all that again just to load its replacement when MM3 does - or that should read 'did' exactly what I wanted.

So to restate my case. There is a problem in MM3 and it is MM3 I want to use, not MM4 - particularly as that vers contains video capabilities which for my PC almost certainly makes it a no go install for our management, making the solution offered useless. - Even MS media players have been stripped from our work@home PC's and we are regularly audited.

It appears there is no appetite to resolve the issue in MM3, it's MM4 or nothing. For me that has to be nothing. If you think that being unhappy at losing my favourite piece of software, which went a long way to making my day a bit less of a drudge is unreasonable, then OK, the cap fits.
The mantis issue here is still not marked as resolved: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6489

Keep in mind also that Lowlander and I are only moderators here on the forum, not developers. We don't have any final say on what issues are fixed for what build, but we've both been around MediaMonkey a long time and know how things usually play out (eg. we can give our best guesses, and they're usually right). In any case don't take our word as law. If you are unsatisfied, you should open a support ticket and let them know. At the very least you could get an explanation of why this issue couldn't be fixed for MM3 (if that's indeed the case).

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you need to extensive testing on a new version wouldn't the same go for any new version of MediaMonkey 3? I would hope so.

Also it's Microsoft who broke things by changing things in Internet Explorer in such a way that it isn't backwards compatible.

I personally think you're being unreasonable out of a very specific situation you find yourself in, not because there's an actual problem with the way MediaMonkey is handling this. It's very common that bugs are deferred to the next major version of a software as it requires major retooling. On the other hand the developers haven't ruled out any updates to MediaMonkey (I doubt it though) and even have released new versions for better Apple devices supported.
oldbwl

Post by oldbwl »

Thanks I do understand, and apologise for letting my frustration get the better of me.
Peke

Post by Peke »

BTW Small note regarding MM4 and Work issues. You were not the only one wanting to bring MM to its work. I have always wanted to have MM on USB drive ready for partying and other team members too. Believe it or not for us MM is more than we are working on, but must have app in everyday life. Sorry for longer introduction but I wanted to point out that in MM4 we have put special attention to Portable version of MM where you will not need to go thrum extensive testing/insurance of safety to use it along on work.

Dev support never goes in vain especially for apps like MM.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I understand the frustration this brings. I wonder if MediaMonkey 4's Portable Mode might be of help.
oldbwl

Post by oldbwl »

We have a policy that nothing can be attached to the PC without permission. Apparently, soon, they will be disabling the USB ports as well.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

oldbwl wrote:I understand you, and your reasoning could make sense, but for space reasons I didn't type out all the facts (see below now). I am grateful for the response too. This is always a helpful and friendly place. But I am unhappy, and nothing you say can help with that - indeed the contrary is the case.

oldbwl, even if your words were spoken in frustration, I think you are speaking for many of us MM3 users.
For many many months we have been reassured that the fixes will be out soon. I think we all were reasonably expected something for last Christmas, but no. We are now in second quarter of this year, and..., well, and nothing.
Peke

Post by Peke »

oldbwl,
May I ask you to PM exact Policy and needs you are requested for and before you are allowed to use some app on Work@home PC?

MusicBringer,
Same goes for you too I'm not sure what you are referring exactly to?
Best regards,
Peke
kibosh

Post by kibosh »

I just noticed that this issue was closed with no change required. Perhaps you need more details. I have Windows 7 x64, Mediamonkey 3.2.4.1304, and IE9 final. Mediamonkey crashes every time you try and resize the window. I do not have MonkeyRok and as far as I can tell, this has nothing to do with it. Definitely an issue with IE9 and the current release of Mediamonkey.

Unless of course you are saying you are no longer supporting Mediamonkey 3.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

kibosh wrote:I just noticed that this issue was closed with no change required. Perhaps you need more details. I have Windows 7 x64, Mediamonkey 3.2.4.1304, and IE9 final. Mediamonkey crashes every time you try and resize the window. I do not have MonkeyRok and as far as I can tell, this has nothing to do with it. Definitely an issue with IE9 and the current release of Mediamonkey.

Unless of course you are saying you are no longer supporting Mediamonkey 3.
According to the bug tracker, the issue is not reproducible with the latest version of IE9 (9.0.8112.16421) and MM 3.2.5. If that's not your experience, then please post some more details about which build of IE9, upgrade to latest MM, etc...

Peke

Post by Peke »

Try also to start MM as Administrator.
Best regards,
Peke