1343 - Can't disable 'tabbed' album art window [#7236]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

gege

1343 - Can't disable 'tabbed' album art window [#7236]

Post by gege »

In MM4, the Album Art window is now tabbed, with "Now Playing" and "Selected" tabs, which were previously available via right-click.
IMHO, these tabs are a bad thing, 'cause they just made the interface more crowded.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to revert back to old behavior, getting rid of the tabs.
DreadM

Re: 1343 - Impossible to disable 'tabbed' album art window

Post by DreadM »

gege wrote:IMHO, these tabs are a bad thing, 'cause they just made the interface more crowded.
on this i agree 100%,also i see no necessary or usefulness for the tabs in the art & details view !
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

I also agree on this.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Add my "vote" for this too. I rarely use the "Selected" option, so I don't need a "quick way" to switch between the two. I find it more of a nuesence than anything, as where my artwork once filled the box where I currently have it docked, it no longer does so due to the square aspect ratio and the shrunken height due to the tabs. Thus, I have space on the left and right sides which now looks tacky. Sure, I could stretch the box upward... but, I have it at an idea size for me already.

I'll stretch my artwork window upward to accommodate for the tabs, if we're given another docking row between the player and Library/Tree like so:

Code: Select all

-------------------------------------------
|  Tree     |       Library               |
|           |                             |
|    Now Playing                 | Art    |
|                 Player                  | 
.... but that's more of a personal wish, and doesn't necessarily pertain to this issue.
BlueDragon

Post by BlueDragon »

maybe it would be a good idea to show the tabs only when the mouse is on the cover. those tabs are a very useful thing, but don't look very nice :-? :lol:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I think the mouse over tabs had been suggested before. I'd support it as I don't really need the tabs to be visible all the time. The few occasions I switch the right click option of MM3 was sufficient, but mouseover tabs would work too for me.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

I think the "mouseover tabs" idea may have an undesired effect. Without the tabs, the art is going to fill out more of the art window. When you mouse over it, the art would need to shrink to make room for the tabs. I think this could look strange, and could probably get annoying to see if you happen to move over it on your way to do something else.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

gege wrote:In MM4, the Album Art window is now tabbed, with "Now Playing" and "Selected" tabs, which were previously available via right-click.
IMHO, these tabs are a bad thing, 'cause they just made the interface more crowded.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to revert back to old behavior, getting rid of the tabs.
DreadM wrote:on this i agree 100%,also i see no necessary or usefulness for the tabs in the art & details view !
Personally I like these tabs. Cause it gives me a visual clue of the state of the art panel. ( selection / now playing )
( I can see it with a glance instead of having to right click to check the state )
It's handy re. my utilization of the art panel. ( I use a lot the right click -> edit album art properties. )

An option to disable them would be nice tho. ( I understand the point about it making the interface "more crowded" )
Also the color of the little line below the tabs should be skin-able.
For example, in Pulse it would look better if the line was mid grey instead of black.
BlueDragon wrote:maybe it would be a good idea to show the tabs only when the mouse is on the cover. those tabs are a very useful thing, but don't look very nice :-? :lol:
If it appears on mouse-over only. Then that defeats part of its purpose for me. Since I loose the visual clue about the state.
Not saying it's a bad idea tho. It would still be an improvement over mm3 behavior. ( right click context menu )
Mizery_Made wrote:I think the "mouseover tabs" idea may have an undesired effect. Without the tabs, the art is going to fill out more of the art window. When you mouse over it, the art would need to shrink to make room for the tabs. I think this could look strange, and could probably get annoying to see if you happen to move over it on your way to do something else.
There is no need for resizing.
The mouse-over would bring transparent tabs over the cover art.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Dreadlau wrote:Personally I like these tabs. Cause it gives me a visual clue of the state of the art panel. ( selection / now playing )
How about the modified title bar showing the state of the art panel? For example, "Art & Details (Selection)" and "Art & Details (Now Playing)".

BTW, I really don't like added "(move window)" to "Show Titlebar" in the context menu. "Move" is a command as it is "Show", so I think it should not be used in this context.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

ZvezdanD wrote: How about the modified title bar showing the state of the art panel? For example, "Art & Details (Selection)" and "Art & Details (Now Playing)".
I prefer the tabs. Only advantage I see with the titlebar is that it's thinner.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The option to hide tabs could show the tabs over the Album Art when mousing over the Album Art window. This would prevent the resizing of the Album Art (not a big deal for me anyway).
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I'd like the ability to hide them, maybe right click > Show tabs on the window (just as right click > "Show Titlebar" is there already).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
DreadM

Post by DreadM »

Hm,I Think the problem is that the tabs don't looks attractive,
and in my eyes it would just make sense to use tabs when there are more options like a lyrics tab, details tab, ....

But what you think about this:

It's made with tabs that matches the background!
looks better but not ideal ,

maybe this would looks better:

with RadioButtons in front ,this can made also with tabs !just needs an option for text align in the tab's,
maybe with a right click option to hide.

In MM3 it is possible to place the AArt beside the player ,but with Tabs this don't work's anymore!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

DreadM wrote:Hm,I Think the problem is that the tabs don't looks attractive
Is that a skin problem or a lack of skinning features problem?
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

I was actually just coming to make that point, nohitter, regarding the option to hide the title bar already being there. Regarding my previous comment about resizing with "mouseover tabs," overlay tabs isn't something I considered in making that comment. I was thinking of tabs in the sense of the current implementation. Regarding the state being in the title bar... I'm actually surprised it's not already. It was in MM3, but I guess the tabs kind of replace the need for that. Though someone made the comment that the title bar would be thinner than the tabs, but that's not the case. They both look to be about the same size to me.

I think simply giving people the option to hide the tabs or not is the most sensible approach. It allows the tabs to be there for those that want them, and not for those that don't. Having them appear on mouse over could ruin the feature for some (as previously noted, they allow someone to see what state it's in just on looking without the need for a mouse click or even touching the mouse).

Regarding Dread's post that went up while this was being typed:

The fact that tabs can't be skinned (and thus are "unattractive," which is personal opinion) may be a problem, but it's not the (only) problem.