Controlling MM from one computer toplay in another

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

sistegraf

Controlling MM from one computer toplay in another

Post by sistegraf »

Hello,

Can you please help me accomplish the following?

I have MM latest version installed in a main computer, everything works fine here.

I want to be able to run MM from another networked computer so I can control everything function in the progam from that PC but I want to be able to play the music in the first computer.

I´m currently able to run MM installed on the main PC from the other computer and see the program run in this machine so I´m able to move and change anything as if I was seated in the main PC. The thing is it plays through the speakers of the connected computer instead than on the main one

Do you think this is possible?

Thank you.
nohitter151

Re: Controlling MM from one computer toplay in another

Post by nohitter151 »

Try a VNC program for that, like TightVNC or similar. VNC programs allow you to remote control other PCs through the network.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Donski

Post by Donski »

It would help if you told us what program you're using to connect remotely.
If you're using Remote Desktop then this may point you in the right direction.

1. Start the Remote Desktop Client and enter your login information
2. Click the "Options" button in the bottom of the window
3. Click the "Local Resources" tab near the top of the screen
4. Click the drop down list in the "Remote computer sound" section and select "Bring to this computer" (Windows 7: Under "Configure Remote Audio Settings" click "Settings" button. Choose the "Play on Remote Computer" radio button)
5. Click the "Connect" button
LoveYourMusic

Post by LoveYourMusic »

If you are not committed to using MediaMonkey to control the playback, there are other options. My favorite is Orb. It allows you to access your music via a web browser: http://orb.com.
Like this post? Then you might be interested in more tips, tricks and howtos from the:
* Love Your Music blog -- Helping you love your music more, one blog post at a time: http://loveyourmusic.tv
* Love Your Music book -- Always listen to music you love by harnessing today's music technology! Find out how with the Love Your Music eBook: http://loveyourmusicbook.com
selectortone

Post by selectortone »

nohitter151 wrote:Try a VNC program for that, like TightVNC or similar. VNC programs allow you to remote control other PCs through the network.
I've just down downloaded TightVNC and it works great!

I have my music on an external drive connected to an old Dell laptop running XP. That's connected via an external USB sound card to my sound system - all at the other end of my lounge. I've been looking at buying a longer optical cable so I could move the Dell over to where I sit, but TightVNC solved that problem - I'm controlling MM on the Dell wirelessly from my other Windows7 laptop from my armchair - a further step towards my goal of total couch-potatodom - Excellent!!

Nohitter151, thanks for the heads up on TightVNC - it took less than 5 minutes to set up on each computer and works flawlessly.